270WSM w/RL22 and 150gr Ballistic Tips

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I went to my buddies today to shoot the loads I made up for his 35 Rem T/C Contender. Well, between groups with the 35 Rem, I wanted to try out my 270WSM loads with the 150gr Ballistic Tips and RL22. Well, the first three I sent down range clocked at 2750 at 59.5grs. I was kinda expecting it, but what I wasn't expecting were the 1/2" groups it was turning in. I wasn't even really interested in measuring groups until I got up to the speeds I wanted, but I had to see. When I pulled the tape out, I was shocked. What even shocked me more were 60.5 and 61.5 shot exactly the same. I was not even waiting more than a minute between shots and about 15 minutes between groups. I was amazed at the accuracy. I wasn't able to get readings on the chronograph at the first group since it was getting late and the sun was down. It still read the larger and slower 35 Rem Loads, but it wouldn't touch the 270WSM. I am kind of bummed to see what they would have been at around 61.5.

The 35 Rem really shot well. I haven't messed around too much with the Single Shot pistols, but after tonight, I really should, they are deadly accurate. I loaded from 37.5 to 39 grains in .5 grain increments with the 200gr Hornady Spire Points. Our winner of the night was 38.5 with a speed of 1975FPS and a 1 inch triangle. I was very impressed with the gun. That is awesome power out of a handgun, and I would think it would be totally capable of taking a deer at 200 yards, with a little extra power.

Anyhow, I am I am going to pick up at 62gr and work up to 64gr's next time out. The accuracy is great with RL22 and if I can get over 3000 I would be happy with that kind of accuracy. Scotty

Scotty,

Sounds like a productive day. Glad to hear those 150s are working out so well. It would be a real thumper, for sure.

Its amazing how different rifle shoot.

Mine clocks 3000fps with 66 rl22. i could get 3200 with mag primers but im after more accuracy than speed. would have been great to have both!

RL-22 was the next powder on my list to try for my 270 WSM as well. Glad to see some good results.

Scotty -
Nice shooting...at what point do you expect to have a compressed load with R22? The Nosler manual says 61 grains is 92% with a Winchester case used in development. What primers are you using?

Not really sure. I am kinda bummed I was not able to get a reading after the 59.5gr of powder. I am thinking that 61.5 was probably around 2850-2900. I know there was plenty of space left with 61.5grs. I would think around 63-65 would start getting compressed, but I am just guessing at this point. I am going to load some more tonight and see what it does. I am using CCI 250's with all of these loads. The accuracy seems good, so hopefully it will hold out. Scotty

66gr in my winnie cases and bullet seated at 2.860" is not a compressed load! i would say i could get a couple more gr in there and prob still have space! But i may have a large chamber compared to yours.

Thanks for the heads up on that. I am going to load some more tonight hopefully. Got bogged down cleaning rifles and tumbling brass last night. I will load some more tonight and see how they do. Busy week with Thanksgiving, but I may be able to sneak down and do some shooting. Scotty

I loaded up to 66gr's last night. I went from 63 up to 66. Hoping to get out over the Holidays to try them out. Should be interesting and you are dead on MilDot. Even with 66gr's you can still here the powder shake at 2.860 inches. Can't wait to see how they perform. Got the rifle cleaned up, so I will hopefully have some good results. Scotty

Will be interesting to see what velocities you get! I found that once i got over 66gr the es etc were drastically different! some upto 100fps.

beretzs

Nice shooting, Sounds like you are just about there. :grin:

The T/C Contenders are shooters for sure. My best group with my factory 7-30 Waters went under 1/4" at 100 yds. My buddy was shooting a M700 AWR 300 RUM and couldn't believe it. He was shooting around 1 MOA. :lol:

JD338

JD, yeah, those Contenders have sparked something new in me. I really like the way they shoot, and man, they are accurate. I would like something in 7mm I think. Not sure. That 35 seems like it would do fine out to 200 with the right loads. Scotty

Just got back from the range where I shoot with my hunting partner. I chronographed the 270WSM with 63, 64, 65, and 66gr's of RL22. 63 grains was 2850 (average) and 66 was 3080 (average). I shot three shot groups and they were all nice little triangles for the most part. 66 grains was two touching and the third about a 1/4" away from the first two. I kinda think the barrel was warm from the cumulative shooting. I was letting the barrel cool about 5 minutes between groups. I could have waited at least 10 for the barrel to completely cool off. I am pretty happy. The rifle shot very well at 66gr's and the groups were more than acceptable to me. I only had a tape measure with me this evening and center to center was under a half inch, so that is a success in my book. The speed is exactly what I am looking for and should be perfect for those 150gr BT's. Anyhow, just wanted to give you all an update on the shooting. Scotty

Scotty -
sounds like the day was productive all around. Great groups with the velocity you were looking for. That load should work for any of your western hunting when you consider the BC and sectional density of the 150 BT or AB..

Scotty,

Sounds like you are there! Do you have a picture of the groups?

Yeah, I was pretty happy. Wasn't sure if RL22 was going to get the speed and accuracy I was looking for, but again RL22 has proved to be a very versatile powder. I use it in my sons 243, my 7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag and now the 270WSM. Can't wait to load some more and get it out to 200 yards and see how it shoots. Scotty

The only target I kept was the last one. It was the smallest one of the bunch, but it is down at my hunting partners place. I will see if I can get him to send me a picture of it, and then I will throw it up. I should start bringing a camera, it would make life alot easier. I tend to just bring a notepad and jot all of my notes down on that. Scotty

Back