275 rigby with 145 grain speer GS

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Just tried some random powder charges today. Just ones I'd found while searching for favorite 7x57 loads. Looks like it seems to be a decent combination so far.
ca362aa7b3a79acb0023fabe00747721.jpg
7b52c94402c6ce2ef4a689479fdcbfa8.jpg
7bfb1ffc8edf6125b678c022801ba4b7.jpg
bdf61029c3214cf3f06ae0cb3e92fad8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Looks really good, I would be tempted to try 49 and 49.5 just because :lol: or just load up a bunch of 48.5 gr and go hunting!

For sure those loads will hunt. You got a classic in every way with that rifle.

Good Job and a heck of a nice rifle!! I'd say with a little tinkering, you can get even smaller groups, but even as-is that dog will hunt! A while back I had an opportunity to buy a M-70 Featherweight in 7x57M, but let it slip through my fingers when I walked away from the deal over the $30 the seller and I were apart on and neither willing to budge..Still kicking myself over that one!

gerry":3544246r said:
Looks really good, I would be tempted to try 49 and 49.5 just because [emoji38] or just load up a bunch of 48.5 gr and go hunting!
Thanks Gerry, I'll prolly try some of those charges also.

DrMike":3u4ax5hj said:
For sure those loads will hunt. You got a classic in every way with that rifle.
Thanks DrMike

hunter24605":26dyekne said:
Good Job and a heck of a nice rifle!! I'd say with a little tinkering, you can get even smaller groups, but even as-is that dog will hunt! A while back I had an opportunity to buy a M-70 Featherweight in 7x57M, but let it slip through my fingers when I walked away from the deal over the $30 the seller and I were apart on and neither willing to budge..Still kicking myself over that one!
Thanks, and I know how you feel. I had a nice model 70 featherweight in 6.5x55 at one point. I let an older brother talk me out of it, and now I cant get it back. Still get sick thinking about it lol.

Also good chance these groups could of been tighter. I'll be honest I've kinda got lazy with the 25X scope on my target rifle. I struggle some with the fixed 6X leupold shooting groups, but I really wanted to keep the set up classic with a fixed power scope. So I kinda just keep it as anything under 1 1/2" at 100 yards is fine for my deer hunting. Eases the stress a little haha.

Nice rifle and that will hunt. One thing I will pass on to you about the 145 Grand Slam. This was with the older ones, I understand that they changed them a few years ago. I was using them in a 7mm Rem Mag on deer. Unless the CNS was hit they ran off a good ways. They did not do internal damage that 154 Hornady Interlock did. I never recovered but one of the GS because all others were exits. I tried the GS in 25-06 120 gr, 7 mag 145 gr, 30-06 and 308 150 gr. I recovered one from the 25-06 on a buck shot facing me at about 39 yards. Shot was to the chest and bullet was found under the hide of the right ham. Bullet smashed ball joint and stopped under the hide. Recovered weight was 87 grs and was a text book mushroom. In my experience they were accurate but were too heavily constructed for my liking for these east NC deer. Sure would be what was my bullet in my 25-06 if I was to go after elk.
I built a hunting rifle for a friend once out of a Spanish Mauser 7x57. This was a lower pressure load for it but 45 grs IMR 4350 with 154 Hornady Interlock was super accurate and was a great deer killer. Matter of fact the 154 Hornady Interlock or SST is one of the best 7mm mag bullets for deer according to MANY hunters in the east NC area. I had a buddy that had a sporting goods store and he could hardly keep this ammo in stock and my hunting buddy did a whole lot of hand loading for people and this was the number one bullet requested. We are talking about people that kill a BUNCH of deer every year. Good luck.

1Shot":3alrbhlh said:
Nice rifle and that will hunt. One thing I will pass on to you about the 145 Grand Slam. This was with the older ones, I understand that they changed them a few years ago. I was using them in a 7mm Rem Mag on deer. Unless the CNS was hit they ran off a good ways. They did not do internal damage that 154 Hornady Interlock did. I never recovered but one of the GS because all others were exits. I tried the GS in 25-06 120 gr, 7 mag 145 gr, 30-06 and 308 150 gr. I recovered one from the 25-06 on a buck shot facing me at about 39 yards. Shot was to the chest and bullet was found under the hide of the right ham. Bullet smashed ball joint and stopped under the hide. Recovered weight was 87 grs and was a text book mushroom. In my experience they were accurate but were too heavily constructed for my liking for these east NC deer. Sure would be what was my bullet in my 25-06 if I was to go after elk.
I built a hunting rifle for a friend once out of a Spanish Mauser 7x57. This was a lower pressure load for it but 45 grs IMR 4350 with 154 Hornady Interlock was super accurate and was a great deer killer. Matter of fact the 154 Hornady Interlock or SST is one of the best 7mm mag bullets for deer according to MANY hunters in the east NC area. I had a buddy that had a sporting goods store and he could hardly keep this ammo in stock and my hunting buddy did a whole lot of hand loading for people and this was the number one bullet requested. We are talking about people that kill a BUNCH of deer every year. Good luck.
Thanks 1Shot! I had some of these left from 2008 when I owned a 7mag, but never took any deer with them. I was wondering how tough the jackets may be. While I've never really favored the hornady sst, I have taken alot of deer with the great old interlocks in many different calibers. They are one of my favorite bullets, but I've never used them in 7mm though. Luckily these shoot right with my 160 speer hot cor, so I wont have to change the scope settings. Our mature bucks in my area of NE Mississippi usually hit 200 lbs with some hitting 220-230 lbs. Not sure why they are so much heavier than deer in other parts of this state. Do u think the GS would perform pretty decent on deer in this weight range?

Shoot them in the shoulder and don't worry about it. LOL They do kill with a through and through but on the 150 to 200 lb deer I was shooting the bullet was taking a lot of it's energy with it. Where I was hunting in east NC there was a lot of THICK jungle and swamp and if deer ran off a ways recovery because a BIG chore. I wanted them dead where they stood. I became pretty much a high shoulder shooter with about everything.
Speaking of the Speer Hot Core bullet the only one I ever used on deer was the 150 BTSP with 51.2 grs IMR 4064 in a Mark X Viscount Mauser 30-06 which according to the ballistics and what the manual said ran about 2950 fps. That was a deer killing machine.

Like others have stated any of those groups would work. Cool cartridge and a classic and good looking rifle to boot. I really like it. (y) Is that one of those Ruger produced Rigby's?

ShadeTree":2876qtbe said:
Like others have stated any of those groups would work. Cool cartridge and a classic and good looking rifle to boot. I really like it. (y) Is that one of those Ruger produced Rigby's?
Yep it's one of the ruger Africans, I think they were for lipsey. Believe they only make 250 of them in each caliber they have made so far. I believe the three calibers were 275 rigby, 6.5x55, and 9.3x62.

1Shot":3r9qf0wp said:
Shoot them in the shoulder and don't worry about it. LOL They do kill with a through and through but on the 150 to 200 lb deer I was shooting the bullet was taking a lot of it's energy with it. Where I was hunting in east NC there was a lot of THICK jungle and swamp and if deer ran off a ways recovery because a BIG chore. I wanted them dead where they stood. I became pretty much a high shoulder shooter with about everything.
Speaking of the Speer Hot Core bullet the only one I ever used on deer was the 150 BTSP with 51.2 grs IMR 4064 in a Mark X Viscount Mauser 30-06 which according to the ballistics and what the manual said ran about 2950 fps. That was a deer killing machine.
Thanks! I've only taken one deer with the 160 hot cor in this rifle, but it performed great. Also killed a few deer with the 140 hot cor in some 6.5 creedmoor's. I think it's a very good whitetail bullet, and at a great price point too. I've used alot of the plastic tipped bullets, but I'm pretty partial to the old lead tips myself.

Have you considered H414, Re-17 or Re-19? I'm working on a 7x57AI right now and was looking at those three to go beneath 140 NPTs and 140 SPHs.

fremont":1v5qen60 said:
Have you considered H414, Re-17 or Re-19? I'm working on a 7x57AI right now and was looking at those three to go beneath 140 NPTs and 140 SPHs.
I do have RL17 on hand, but I have not tried it yet in this rifle. I have shot it in other calibers with great results too. I'm sure it would generate some great velocity especially in the 7x57AI. I use RL16 in my 6.5CM and it is a great powder also. Never tried h414, or RL19 though.

Back