Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Talk about splitting hair here but.....

In a Ruger #1A which would you choose and why?????? :mrgreen:

And BTW this is a Ruger 1A

pix752646060.jpg

Light compact and svelte !!!!

First is that it has a 22" barrel. 7-08 and 7x57 would be nearly identical I think. Not having to deal with action length choice for me would be 280. Though losing a little it would be faster than either of the others. Not sure the 1-9.5 twist would make a difference but that is also something to consider. You are right about splitting hairs, there isn't probably 150 fps between the shorter 2 and the 280 out of that tube. Honestly it would likely come down to which individual rifle had the best wood.

If recoil is not a factor then the 280 is the best choice. It brings a little more to the table.

280 Rem. Better performance and more cool factor.

JD338

In a Ruger 1A it would be 7x57 for me with its 22" barrel. That tube would get good velocity from that cartridge and it would not really lag behind the 280 Remington by that much, especially if it is hand-loaded which we know it will be Fotis.

In a Ruger 1B with the 26 inch barrel it would be 280 Remington first and the 7x57 second. Although in a 26" barrel the 7x57 would be quite a cartridge.

Notice I did not go for the 7mm-08. I know it's a fine round, but it just does not have the IT factor the other two do.

Pure nostalgic choice for me would be the 7x57...the .275 just seems to go with a Farquharson single shot! I had a 1A in .270 that was not a spectacular shooter and the trigger was a "glock wannabe", ha. But, in 7x57, that same rifle would have been miles ahead of what the old Farquharson's were.

preacher":3q28nuco said:
Pure nostalgic choice for me would be the 7x57...the .275 just seems to go with a Farquharson single shot! I had a 1A in .270 that was not a spectacular shooter and the trigger was a "glock wannabe", ha. But, in 7x57, that same rifle would have been miles ahead of what the old Farquharson's were.

Those #1's can be real shooters too. Here are two different loads out of my 6mm Remington 1B at 100 yards.

400 yards

I think the 7x57 would be awesome in that rifle. The 280 would be my 2nd choice.

7 x 57 all the way. nostalgia, cool and less recoil, which is important since you have a young lady in your home who may also hunt with it one day What were the other two choices ?

I like them all. The 280 is perhaps my favourite cartridge of all that I've shot, though the 7X57 does rank right up there with the 280. I don't think you would go wrong with any of these cartridges chambered in the 1A. The 7X57 does have the "cool" factor going for it.

I wonder why Ruger doesn´t make the 7x57 to a 7x57R?. A rimmed cartridge is the most logical choice for a fallingblock action as viewed in my optics.

I don't know if there's any practical difference in the three....certainly not in the field.

I'd probably like the 7x57 if I hand loaded or could get European ammo. Just classy.

Otherwise- best wood gets the nod.

Fotis -

What kind of game would you be using it for? The 7mm-08 is a great little deer cartridge as is the 7x57 and I have seen a couple of elk tipped over with one shot from the small case 7mms as well. If you purely plan to punch paper and admire it in your hands, 7x57 wins hands down. Like Preacher said, the obvious resemblance to the Farquharson is uncanny. But to me the .280 takes the cake here.

For a serious game rifle, where elk or moose may be eventually possible, I would go with the few extra grains of powder you get in a .280 Remington. I have actually never fired one personally (Doc we will have a confessional about this later :) ) but I have shot dozens of .270s, used several of them in the field with success, and have seen their handy work on truckloads of game large and small that others have taken. It's hard for me to imagine the .280 not being as good if not better of an all-around cartridge. The 22" barrel wont be an issue with most loads, just you'll be 50-75 fps slower with the lightweight spitzers.

It's your choice obviously but where you've got a nice single-shot where action length isn't an issue, why go with the short action 7mm-08? The 7x57 and the .280 are the best choices here in my opinion.

Good luck -

Dale

Dale. Only deer and nothing else. I agree with the ...best wood gets the nod..... but I have found all a 1a in each caliber and all 3 have plain wood unfortunately......

And BTW I never owned a 280 rem nor have I fired one but loaded tons for them :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

FOTIS":37ezgsku said:
Dale. Only deer and nothing else. I agree with the ...best wood gets the nod..... but I have found all a 1a in each caliber and all 3 have plain wood unfortunately

You're in Wyoming correct? Sometimes you have to take quite a poke at long range to get your deer there I'm told, I've not yet had the pleasure.

Because of that I would still lean towards the .280. Get a good load with a 120-140 grain bullet around 3k fps and you'll whack 'em and stack 'em. :)

What kind of glass are you thinking for this deerslayer?

Dale

filmjunkie4ever":19nb5w7c said:
Fotis -

I have actually never fired one personally (Doc we will have a confessional about this later :) )
Dale

Oh the shame Dale! :twisted: Never fired a .280 Remington. That right there is blasphemy! :cry: :shock:

David

6mm Remington":xiv5x25w said:
filmjunkie4ever":xiv5x25w said:
Fotis -

I have actually never fired one personally (Doc we will have a confessional about this later :) )
Dale

Oh the shame Dale! :twisted: Never fired a .280 Remington. That right there is blasphemy! :cry: :shock:

David

Yeah David, it's downright heresy.

Will need some divine absolution to feel right about things ever again. ;)

Dale

filmjunkie4ever":1xiaq5uv said:
6mm Remington":1xiaq5uv said:
filmjunkie4ever":1xiaq5uv said:
Fotis -

Dale

David

Yeah David, it's downright heresy.

Will need some divine absolution to feel right about things ever again. ;)

Dale

Purchase a .280 NOW! Load up a hundred cartridges and leave your evil ways immediately lest you should turn some benighted soul from the right path.

Back