I put a 2.5-8 Leupold on it, and yesterday, shot it
for the first time in years.
It shot very well with an old load consisting of a
140 grain AccuBond and more IMR 4350 than I care
to say.
How would you guys rate this load on big
bodied mule deer ??
Larry

It will do everything you want it to do. I have shot many mulies (and whitetails) with 139 grain Hornady SP.

I shoot a muley or two every year and have used a lot of different calibers. I prefer my 270 win. I have used every thing from 100 gr. bronze points to 130 gr npt. I haven't found them to be bullet proof at all. If you make a decent shot they go down. I have gone threw a few stages on bullet selection but on deer it doesn't seem to matter much just make a good shot.

Fwood

Ive got a milder 140 AB load for my 280 and I wouldn't hesitate using it on elk, let alone good sized mulies. You should be just fine. There should be some posts on the bullet testing section. These AB's hold together really well.

I used the same bullet in my 280 this past year on a mule deer buck. Poor shooting on my part resulted in needing a second shot but the bullet performs great. I think you'll be pleased. My buddy killed a monster black bear with his 280 and a 140 AB. I think, as others have said, the bullet is definitely up to the task even on larger game.

I think you have a good load that will work just fine!

My friend Stephen (who posts here as Roysclockgun) and his wife, Storm, hunted mule deer and antelope with me in 2012.

They both used the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. His rifle is a .280, hers is a 7mm-08.

As I recall it was four shots, four hits, four dead animals. Two mulie bucks and two pronghorns.

The .280 is a fine choice for mule deer!

Regards, Guy

The .280 is perhaps my favourite cartridge. It has served me well for many years. I'm pretty well settled on the 140 Partition in my Winchester Featherweight and on the 150 grain ABLR in my Remington LSS. The cartridge has accounted for quite a number of deer and elk over the years.

LVE2143":19azjxjk said:
I recently managed to re-acquire a Remington bolt
action in .280
to say.
bodied mule deer ??
Larry

I killed my biggest bodied mule deer on the Peace River in Alberta a few years ago with a 7 Rem Mag loaded with a 140 AB,MV of 3200 fps. To establish "big" his peeled and hog dressed carcass weighed 230 pounds on the butchers scales.I have only seen a couple of others that size.

The bullet hit squarely on the knuckle of the on side shoulder (quartering on)at about 200 yards, shattered it,and traversed the chest cavity. The buck staggered maybe 30 feet and collapsed. I found the bullet against the off side ribs mid way back. It weighs 59 gr. as pictured below.

I have used the 140 Nosler Partition on far more animals in various 7mm cartridges and driven up to 3300 fps. It has always exited on similar shots,which may be neither here nor there.

I would not hesitate to use the 140 AB again. For magnum velocities, I would prefer the Partition or the 160 AB. But in a 280 I think the 140 AB is fine.

DrMike":fwulla7x said:
The .280 is perhaps my favourite cartridge. It has served me well for many years. I'm pretty well settled on the 140 Partition in my Winchester Featherweight and on the 150 grain ABLR in my Remington LSS. The cartridge has accounted for quite a number of deer and elk over the years.
What Dr. Mike said. The 280 is an awesome cartridge and that bullet would work very well for deer, elk, moose, and a variety of other game. The AccuBond and Partition are very good bullets. An E-tip would also be a good one out of the .280!

David

BFE375, there are some excellent mule deer in the draws along the Peace. I've seen, and managed to take, quite a few. Almost all the mule deer I've shot in the last decade have been with a .280 and either 139 or 140 grain bullets. There are a couple of exceptions that were taken with another cartridge. Where along the Peace were you hunting?

I believe your 280 and the 140 AB will serve you quite well. It sounds as though this load may have been developed for a different rifle, insure to do you due diligence in working up to the current load . The .284 caliber has a plethora of great bullets for use in hunting of all sorts of game.
I loaded up some 145gr Speer hot cors in my buddy's 7-08 this fall he likes cupncore bullets and was shooting them at modest velocity out of his BLR .
I've witnessed the 140 AB out of a 7mmRM punch thru both shoulders of a moose at 150 yrds bullet was not recovered . It is defintly a tough bullet, you will be set from deer, thru to elk and moose with no worries.

Can you say "match made in heaven?"

I don't think you could have a better load for mule deer personally. A .270, .280 or .30-06 with any decent lightweight bullet will get the job done way out there.

Although the only 7mm AccuBond I have personally used has been the 160 out of a 7mm Rem Mag, it has been "pop, flop" every time.

Good luck!

Dale

BF375":fc45ywno said:
LVE2143":fc45ywno said:
I recently managed to re-acquire a Remington bolt
action in .280
to say.
bodied mule deer ??
Larry

I killed my biggest bodied mule deer on the Peace River in Alberta a few years ago with a 7 Rem Mag loaded with a 140 AB,MV of 3200 fps. To establish "big" his peeled and hog dressed carcass weighed 230 pounds on the butchers scales.I have only seen a couple of others that size.

The bullet hit squarely on the knuckle of the on side shoulder (quartering on)at about 200 yards, shattered it,and traversed the chest cavity. The buck staggered maybe 30 feet and collapsed. I found the bullet against the off side ribs mid way back. It weighs 59 gr. as pictured below.

I have used the 140 Nosler Partition on far more animals in various 7mm cartridges and driven up to 3300 fps. It has always exited on similar shots,which may be neither here nor there.

I would not hesitate to use the 140 AB again. For magnum velocities, I would prefer the Partition or the 160 AB. But in a 280 I think the 140 AB is fine.

Dang buddy. That's a great recovery. I know how keen on the PTs you are but it looks pretty decent really, for the traveling it did through that beast.

DrMike":skck3g1l said:
BFE375, there are some excellent mule deer in the draws along the Peace. I've seen, and managed to take, quite a few. Almost all the mule deer I've shot in the last decade have been with a .280 and either 139 or 140 grain bullets. There are a couple of exceptions that were taken with another cartridge. Where along the Peace were you hunting?

DrMike: I was north of Peace River and in unit 526...I think. I have also hunted in 527,which, IIRC is a bush unit,right across the river from the mill in Peace River. Sound familiar? And 526 as well.If I am sounding confused it's because I have hunted back and forth in these various units numerous times.

There are stupendous bucks in those breaks....some of the biggest bodied mule deer I have ever seen. Wonderful country and I would place it among the best buck country I have ever hunted,US or Canada.

The 280 is a very fine cartridge;one of my two favorites on the standard case. I have hunted up there with the 270,7 Rem Mag, 7mm Dakota,and 300 magnums.

Scotty: That 140 AB did an admirable job. You are right that I am a Partition fan. :wink:

I've hunted 358 & 359 with some success in years past. I haven't hunted the zones you name, though I've certainly driven through there on more than one occasion. There are some fine animals along the Peace here in BC. I have no doubt that you have equally large bodied deer on that side of the border.

DrMike: I have never hunted the BC side but understand it is excellent as well. Maybe one of these seasons I will get over there. You just have to love the Peace River country.

Back