3 inch mag turkey loads

3.5" TSS are 12 bucks a pop, you shoot what 3-4 a year? how much ya spend in gas? If you have not killed a gobbler with TSS ya need to try it, its amazing, only times I ever shot a gobbler in the head that DID NOT FLOP! And I have killed a bunch with lead
Absolutely! What brand are you shooting ?

I have never stretched them too far, about 55 yards is my longest shot, a buddywho shoots the same load in a SBE with the same choke, who turned me on to them has taken a bunch of turkeys with them, have never saw it but he claims out to 100 yards they work! a cousin took a hen which he says was luck but he ranged the distance after the fact at 90 yards, that was with a 410. The ownner of the company claims with a 7&9 blend they put 400+ shot in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Be prepared ,those 2 5/8 oz loads will kick the lard outta grandma's home made bisquits
I started gobbler hunting in 1978, In 1984 I aquired a valmet 412 12/223, I had a bunch of work done to it including a Bansner turkey/predator choke sleeve, along with a 2.5x8 loopy, a Rheinhart Fajen trap stock in wooodland laminate and man was it a turkey/fox/coyote killing machine. Took gobblers with it beyond 70 yards regularly.
73CzZ35.jpg

When I started experimenting with TSS with the Franchi, mainly becaause it would not shoot as well as the valmet but is a bunch lighter. I asked my experienced turkey hunting friends and the FF3/nitro ammo was the dominant combo, so started working with it. after studying my patterns with the recomended choke and loads for my gun, and energy figures for TSS, I am confidant that it will outperform my valmet!

Last edited:
I have never stretched them too far, about 55 yards is my longest shot, a buddywho shoots the same load in a SBE with the same choke, who turned me on to them has taken a bunch of turkeys with them, have never saw it but he claims out to 100 yards they work! a cousin took a hen which he says was luck but he ranged the distance after the fact at 90 yards, that was with a 410. The ownner of the company claims with a 7&9 blend they put 400+ shot in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Be prepared ,those 2 5/8 oz loads will kick the lard outta grandma's home made bisquits
I started gobbler hunting in 1978, In 1984 I aquired a valmet 412 12/223, I had a bunch of work done to it including a Bansner turkey/predator choke sleeve, along with a 2.5x8 loopy, a Rheinhart Fajen trap stock in wooodland laminate and man was it a turkey/fox/coyote killing machine. Took gobblers with it beyond 70 yards regularly.
73CzZ35.jpg

When I started experimenting with TSS with the Franchi, mainly becaause it would not shoot as well as the valmet but is a bunch lighter. I asked my experienced turkey hunting friends and the FF3/nitro ammo was the dominant combo, so started working with it. after studying my patterns with the recomended choke and loads for my gun, and energy figures for TSS, I am confidant that it will outperform my valmet!
I had a Valmet 12/222 back in the early 80s. Sold it as I didn't like the weight and just liked using a shotgun more so. Wish I had it now to hand down to my son or grandsons. Yours is a nice setup. Dan.

I had a Valmet 12/222 back in the early 80s. Sold it as I didn't like the weight and just liked using a shotgun more so. Wish I had it now to hand down to my son or grandsons. Yours is a nice setup. Dan.
Think 3 times I used the rifle on a gobbler, shotgun is the way to go!

Back