.30/06-180 Accubond-RL22 ???

Leo M

Beginner
Feb 5, 2005
The velocity for this in the Nosler manual is very impressive. Has anybody tried this, any good? I was going to try H4350 and probably still will but the RL22 velocity caught my eye. If it matters this is for a new bolt action with a 24 inch barrel. Thanks for any help.

Leo,
Just about any published data is subjective. When you shoot over a chronograph you'll find disparities between what you actually shoot and what the book says it should be. Sometimes you may be a hair faster than published, oft times you'll be on the slower side. Now you must ask yourself this. What is more important, velocity or accuracy? Or both?
For many years I did not have a Chronograph, so I just developed accurate loads for my rifles, and the 30-'06 has been my work horse for alot of years. Many rifles will shoot different bullet / powder combinations differently for whatever reason. Just work up an accurate load for your rifle, then see what the velocity is.
There is an article in the December issue of American Rifleman with ballistic tests of the Trophy Bonded Ballistic Tip bullet, fired from both the .300 Win mag and the .30'06 Springfield. There just isn't enough difference in terminal performance between the two cartridges to get me all jacked up about velocity. If you can, read the article and you'll see what I mean. :)

The max load has always given me about 2750 fps or so.

Back