30-06 at the range

Lorenzo

Beginner
Nov 8, 2010
My 30-06 is one of my favourite hunting rifles but I was never able to make him group well except once that I put a piece of credit card under the barrel on the forend of the stock. In that ocassion it group 6 shots of 180 gr BT well under an inch but somehow the card went loose and I was never able again to do something similar with it at the range. Finally after trying all kind of beddings and a lot of shooting at the bench I decided to free float the barrel and despite the groups are not very good they are ok for hunting.

These are the bullets tested.
From left to right: 165 gr Nosler Solid Base and 63gr of RL22, 165 gr SST Hornady Custom Ammo, 180 gr Nosler BT and 61 gr of RL22, and 180 gr Hornady RN with 60 gr of RL22.

View attachment 24112010009.jpg

This is the rifle, Mauser Obendorf with a 23" Lothar Walther barrel.

View attachment 24112010011.jpg

The target :oops:

View attachment 24112010017.jpg
View attachment 24112010016.jpg
View attachment 24112010013.jpg
View attachment 24112010012.jpg

Looking at the patterns what you think the problem may be ?? I quit testing, I never have been a shooting club guy but somehow I started to get involved and I discovered how nice was to make small holes on paper at long distances, but two months ago I nearly went nuts with this rifle, I discovered that making holes on papers was much more frustating and difficult than hunting !!!!!!!!! :oops:

These groups are from today evening.

L

Tried all types of bedding??? I prefer a bedded action and floaded barrel. Look for any signs of pressure on the action. Check the crown. Have someone else shoot the rifle. Mausers have a longer lock time and that may contribute to some slight movement at the bench. Forward rifle support should be near the action. Make sure the sling swivels don't hit or ride on the bags.
My standard 165gr load for my 30/06s is 58.5-58.8grs of IMR-4350, WLR or 210M. Normally seat the bullets 10-15 thousants off the lands.Rick.

Rick,
Thank you very much !!!
I will check your recomendations.
thanks again
L

The 165 gr Solid Base load looks promising to me. Perhaps tune it a bit more? A favorite load of mine is 58 gr H4350 behind the same bullet.

I don't know what you mean by "trying all kind of beddings" - once the action is solidly bedded into the stock, and the barrel free-floated, it should be good to go. I'd have it professionally glass bedded or even pillar bedded. That's a quality barrel you've got on it, so I'd expect it to shoot well.

Best of luck with that great looking Mauser!

+1 on the lock time issues. I got one . My other thought would be reloads. No offense now, I added on grain of 4350 to my favorite load and it went from sub inch groups to 3-4 inch groups. I couldnt believe that was the cause so I bought a scope and did a whole bunch of other things. As soon as I drpped that grain of powder we were back in business. Got a new Leupold, a lighter wallet, and a lot of aggrivation before i learned that lesson. It is a methodical process to find "the" load and I am impatient. Also you said it shot well with some forend pressure. I know a guy who threatened to beat anybody who removed the three wraps of duct tape from the barrel of his remmington. If it likes a little forend pressure go for it. If you find a business card that works og with it. Mine has a couple layers of electrical tape in the channel. Been there for years. Just a thought. Nice lookin Mauser by the way. CL

CL,

Thank you very much, I will try again with the plastic card trick and see what happens. As someone said, the group with the solid bases looks promising.

Thanks to everyone for helping me.

L

Back