.30-06 Bullet Tests

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
Here's a video of some water jug hunting I did today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KYOzEHyZak&feature=autoplay&list=ULKTbGHYisC2I&playnext=1

I was a little misaligned for the first two and the bullets came out the rear corner of their respective last jugs.

The 165 AccuBond performed as expected and most likely would have at least punctured the sixth jug had I been lined up properly. I haven't come up with an accurate load with this bullet yet, but I certainly hope to as the terminal performance looks very good.

The 180 Interlock was tested to see what the .300 will do down range. Performance is definitely better at 2600 fps than 3000 fps. I suspect that the bullet would have penetrated into the fifth jug and that the core and jacket would have been found together had my alignment been correct. I'll probably retest this and the AccuBond in the future.

The 165 Interlock gave very acceptable performance and I have an accurate load for it in my rifle. For shooting deer, I don't think I would be giving much of anything using this load.

Good work.
Thanks for all your efforts and posting.

JD338

Good stuff, Trevor. It is always fascinating to see how the various bullets perform.

Very nice Trevor. No surprises with the 165 AB, but man, the 180 Hornady kinda surprised me a little. I would have thought it would have done much better than it did at just over 2600...

Now, again, the 165 Hornady looked like it did really well. Great test, I am dieing to run some bullets into jugs again. Hope the kids are saving all of my jugs.

ROVERT":118ygj6y said:
Here's a video of some water jug hunting I did today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KYOzEHyZak&feature=autoplay&list=ULKTbGHYisC2I&playnext=1

I was a little misaligned for the first two and the bullets came out the rear corner of their respective last jugs.

The 165 AccuBond performed as expected and most likely would have at least punctured the sixth jug had I been lined up properly. I haven't come up with an accurate load with this bullet yet, but I certainly hope to as the terminal performance looks very good.

The 180 Interlock was tested to see what the .300 will do down range. Performance is definitely better at 2600 fps than 3000 fps.
Generally speaking,,,,all things being the same, the faster a bullet impacts, the faster it expands, the faster it slows down.

I suspect that the bullet would have penetrated into the fifth jug and that the core and jacket would have been found together had my alignment been correct. I'll probably retest this and the AccuBond in the future.

The 165 Interlock gave very acceptable performance and I have an accurate load for it in my rifle. For shooting deer, I don't think I would be giving much of anything using this load.

Thanks for the report, it's a good one!

SJB358":3rzhn15a said:
Very nice Trevor. No surprises with the 165 AB, but man, the 180 Hornady kinda surprised me a little. I would have thought it would have done much better than it did at just over 2600...

I think the 180 would have easily penetrated into the 5th jug. The lead core kept going after the bullet slipped out of the rear corner of the fourth jug. I couldn't find the core, but the jacket was found on the tarp. I will retest the 180 Interlock and 165 AccuBond. I'm pretty sure we'll be looking at 5th and 6th jug recoveries, respectively.

For anyone interested, the "jug holder" made of angle iron and a few 1/4" bolts & nuts worked very well. There will be no more shattered wood during the bullet tests.

Trevor,
What distance were you shooting from testing the bullets?

Thanks,
Don

DON":2btrxjoz said:
Trevor,
What distance were you shooting from testing the bullets?

Thanks,
Don

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. All of the water jug tests that I have done to date have been at approx. 25 yds.

Thanks Trevor,
That is really stressing the bullets, awesome test results you have too.

Don

Back