30 Nolser

173rdguy

Beginner
May 4, 2016
I am waiting on a PTG 30 Nosler and 300WM tact match reamer, I cant decide which to go with for this build.

deviant tactical action
bartlein 1-10 varmint cont 26" finished length

i really cant find any user info on the 30 nosler yet just opinions and theories.. anyone have actual time on this round. reloading, accuracy etc..

I would build the 30 Nosler if I needed a project to spend some time with. I would build the 300 WM if I needed a hunting rifle that was tried and true.

Cons to the 30 Nosler--one source of brass, though it's high quality.

I'd go with the 30 Nosler. Load data is out there. Nosler brass is available and is of high quality. Stock up and start your load development.

JD338

hardest part is i have the reamer for 300 wm now and PTG cant get their act together long enough to get me a 30 nosler reamer. might stick it out a little longer to see if i can get a reamer in time. that brass might be nice but they are pricey as all get out, then i gotta get new dies too... see my dilemma; is this all worth 10 more grains?

i have a 300WM now that shoots great and i have all my dies etc.. for it so is it worth the extra money involved ?

i think i am answering my own question but hoping someone with some experience with 30 nosler pops in and says its great and is totally worth it.... (y)

If I was going to go above a 300wm I would do a 300 Norma or Norma Imp, especially since your using a custom action already. The standard 300 Norma is between a 30 Nosler and a 300RUM for capacity. The case is proven to be super accurate and they cost about the same as 30 Nosler brass.

IdahoCTD":1m8nqbiq said:
If I was going to go above a 300wm I would do a 300 Norma or Norma Imp, especially since your using a custom action already. The standard 300 Norma is between a 30 Nosler and a 300RUM for capacity. The case is proven to be super accurate and they cost about the same as 30 Nosler brass.

+1 for the .300 Norma, between the two you listed though, I'd just do the win mag and save a little money.

The 30 Nosler has some good things going for it. approximately 90gr of powder capacity, close to the 300 weatherby. I know my 300 Ackley/weatherby has the same capacity. 88 grains of Retumbo pushes 180gr PP partitions to 3325fps. 168gr ballistic tips to 3300fp. If you want that kind of performance go with the 30 nosler. 28" barrel might make sense also.

Back