300 H&H

264 Win Mag

Beginner
Nov 13, 2004
Ok all you experts, talk me out of having a 300 H&H built on a left handed Montana 1999. It is all about the cool factor as I do not need one. I want a 30 caliber rifle and everyone has a 30-06, 300 Win Mag, etc. I have the brass and dies already like a good loony and just need something to use them in. Thought about buying an old left handed rifle and having it re-barreled but as I understand it there may be an issue with action length for the 300 H&H. What say you?

Thomas

I'm not going to talk you out of a 300 H&H in fact that's one of the few 30 cal rifles on my long range radar for rounds I want to try for some of the same reasons you listed. Brass is readily available and you already have the components so go for it. I'm not sure about Winchesters but do know any LH Rem 700 magnum action is more than long enough for a 300 H&H, in my LH Rem 700 264 WM I can seat bullets way out there and I guy I have known for years has a 700 Classic in 300 Wby.

The .300 H&H is flat cool but does require a magnum action... any action that will eat a .375 H&H will work.

I know Remington 700 actions will as well as Mk V weatherby actions will- and both are available in LH. The MRC actions are available that long and are a true CRF in LH.

The common '06 length actions like the Ruger 77 and most M70s are too short.

The Grand old lady still has it! I love the 300H&H, it's a cool one. If it wasn't for the southpaw thing I'd could turn you on to a couple of M70 magnum actions. I'd go for the Montana - they are nice rifles! The H&H feeds like butter and can be quite accurate.
Scott

Did I talk you out of it! :grin:

So far you guys are doing nothing but making my wife nervous! I like the Montana action but am intrigued by the thought of an inexpensive donor action.

Thomas

Don't think anyone is going to talk him out of a cool round like the 300 H&H :) Along with the Remington Weatherby and MRC actions mentioned one of the older magnum Sako actions will also be long enough.

One of the thoughts I had is to find a take off 30-06 barrel with a 24" long and have it rechambered to 300 H&H. Like I said earlier I have thought about the 300 H&H can you tell :) it would be an inexpensive way to get into the round and new 30-06 barrels set up for a Rem action are pretty easy to find.

The action requires machining a notch through the action ring and barrel to clear the longer .300 H&H ammo. Some machining is also required in the rear action ring to fit longer magazine box.

I have a friend with a very old M70 in .300H&H... pre-64 by at least a couple or three of decades.

That thing feeds slicker than any rifle I've ever felt. I caught myself looking a couple of times to make sure I actually picked up a cartridge!

Ballistically you are at .300WSM levels but with modern powder in a modern action you can really soup it up. Boddington reports 3350+ with 150s. I'm not that adventurous though, since a 180 at 2900 will kill about anything and that level is easily achievable in the H&H case at mild pressure.

I've sometimes wondered if we shouldn't have a "300 H&H +P" similar to the ".257 Roberts +P" to get pressures up to modern standards. It wouldn't be the equal of the Weatherby or the RUM but that long, tapered case feeds like corn through a goose and it would certainly exceed the WSM and WM rounds. It certainly has the case capacity to do far more than it does.

Oldtrader3":2m7kchg5 said:
The action requires machining a notch through the action ring and barrel to clear the longer .300 H&H ammo. Some machining is also required in the rear action ring to fit longer magazine box.

I assume you mean the Win model 70, some of the other actions are definitely long enough to handle the longer 300 H&H without modifications.

muleman":1ij12p9y said:
The Grand old lady still has it! I love the 300H&H, it's a cool one. If it wasn't for the southpaw thing I'd could turn you on to a couple of M70 magnum actions. I'd go for the Montana - they are nice rifles! The H&H feeds like butter and can be quite accurate.
Scott

Did I talk you out of it! :grin:

Man, if I wasn't so broke I'd be giving you a call...

I found one once for $99 + tax, cost me anout $600 more to get it shootable. It was worth every penny IMO, just one cool old cartridge. You won't regret building one.

Wincheringen":b9ugo5cm said:
I can't talk you out of one either. I have a No. 1S in 300 H&H.

A Ruger #1 is still in the running but they are not the easiest rifle to locate especially in the desirable calibers such as the 300 H&H. They are great for us left handed shooters who are tired of rifles that only come chambered for a small number of cartridges. I have a 1B in 6mm Remington I bought from a gentleman here on the forum and it will be my primary whitetail rifle this year.

Thomas

Man, you came to the wrong place to get talked out of an H&H. Matter of fact, if I could find the right 300 H&H, I would send my 300WSM down the road.

Can't see turning down an opportunity to own a 300 H&H should one appear in my area.

hodgeman":3me6s444 said:
Ballistically you are at .300WSM levels but with modern powder in a modern action you can really soup it up. Boddington reports 3350+ with 150s. I'm not that adventurous though, since a 180 at 2900 will kill about anything and that level is easily achievable in the H&H case at mild pressure.

I've sometimes wondered if we shouldn't have a "300 H&H +P" similar to the ".257 Roberts +P" to get pressures up to modern standards. It wouldn't be the equal of the Weatherby or the RUM but that long, tapered case feeds like corn through a goose and it would certainly exceed the WSM and WM rounds. It certainly has the case capacity to do far more than it does.

Without a good shoulder to headspace against, I'd imagine you'd get separations above the belt if you hot rodded the .300 H&H too much. I just think the brass would flow too easily. Nothing to back that up JMO.

Back