.300 H&H

5b703a2b7573cd7f8b4f08fb24958c18.jpg

Not the best pic, I don’t know how to photograph guns very well.

f3c17ffaea95972753094b994a87cf06.jpg

Made back when men were men and didn’t mind packing heavy[emoji1]

Well, yes, but it is most handsome. You have every right to be pleased with your work.

Made use of my Etch-O-Matic and typewriter:

ab5e5faba64aec9d68adbc3a2cdc7773.jpg

Not as nice as laser or pantograph but it will do.

With the 3rd follower, this one an aluminum Sunny Hill, some rail polishing, and a Remington follower spring, I’m 99% now on second round ejection. The last straw would be to have a real gunsmith machine the side of the port further aft about .150-.200. Since I doubt I will be chased by a Cape Buffalo while trying to cycle rounds, I will live with the 1% failure.

I have test fired one round into the sand pile in my yard. Case looks and mic’s good. Lots of copper fouling. This one may need the shoot clean - shoot clean treatment which I loath.

Smoothing rough bores can be a pain, but it does pay off in the end. I had a Featherweight chambered in .280 Rem that required almost 250 rounds before it slicked up as I wanted it to. Today, it consistently shoots ~0.5 MOA with a variety of bullets. It was worth the work, in my estimate. You've definitely built a lovely rifle. Congratulations. Consequently, while you may never be chased by a Cape Buffalo while trying to cycle rounds, it is always possible that a maddened ground squirrel could charge you. :mrgreen:

Nice, very nice, congratulations on a job well done.

The 300 H & H is my absolute favorite mid caliber rifle. I have never had the hang up many have about the large action or the weight. Carried one for years, even uo and down some rather rugged terrain, absolutely love it. funny the rifle can still hunt, and will, with my daughter, but I can not.

Anyway--enjoy! well done young man

On the feed problem, you may have to adjust the lips on the magazine.
Is the follower trying to roll or cock to one side in the frame?
I had to adjust the lips on the one I used when I converted my 300 Win to the 3.6" mag box.

truck driver":3791gdbq said:
I had to adjust the lips on the one I used when I converted my 300 Win to the 3.6" mag box.

Thanks, yeah it’s been a lot of fiddling with that. I’d get it to eject number 2 then not pick up number 3, etc. I’m starting to think this one might have been sold in pieces due to this to start with. It also took a lot of work on the feed ramp.

Fired 9 more rounds, one single then clean...copper OK so fired 8 more in succession. Seems to have broken in. I was going up the ladder .8 at a time, but they all went into about 1.5” at 100 with the MagnetoSpeed attached. I think it’s going to be ok. I’ll post some groups when I get to the point of giving it a fair shake.

I am jumping in late but the 300 H&H is a fine old calibre with tons of history :wink:. gbflyer don't let any of these guys give you grief about being left handed, they have not yet understood the true art of shooting :mrgreen:.
A build on a Model 70 just tops it off my Friend (y).

Blessings,
Dan

gbflyer":168k21qu said:
truck driver":168k21qu said:

Thanks, yeah it’s been a lot of fiddling with that. I’d get it to eject number 2 then not pick up number 3, etc. I’m starting to think this one might have been sold in pieces due to this to start with. It also took a lot of work on the feed ramp.

Fired 9 more rounds, one single then clean...copper OK so fired 8 more in succession. Seems to have broken in. I was going up the ladder .8 at a time, but they all went into about 1.5” at 100 with the MagnetoSpeed attached. I think it’s going to be ok. I’ll post some groups when I get to the point of giving it a fair shake.
On the feeding ejection problem just to let you know I used all Winchester used factory parts.
Picked up a complete 2 piece bottom metal with mag box,spring and follower which was supposed to have came out of a 375 H&H and the follower was for a standard 3.4" box.
I looked everywhere for a longer follower that was reasonably priced and none were to be found so I loaded 4 dummy rounds to fit the chamber and slowly feed the rounds into the chamber from the box. First round feed and ejected fine the second round would jam and the 3rd round was cocked in the box with the base too low for the bolt to pick it up. The front lips of the mag box were too wide and the follower was trying to come out of the box cocked to the right. Light bent the front portion from where it was too wide for the follower in on both sides so the follower would ride straight up into the box and it now feeds 100%. Wish I had taken pictures but hind sight is always 20-20.
Hope this helps if it's not too late.

truck driver":2iruslys said:
gbflyer":2iruslys said:
truck driver":2iruslys said:

On the feeding ejection problem just to let you know I used all Winchester used factory parts.
Picked up a complete 2 piece bottom metal with mag box,spring and follower which was supposed to have came out of a 375 H&H and the follower was for a standard 3.4" box.
I looked everywhere for a longer follower that was reasonably priced and none were to be found so I loaded 4 dummy rounds to fit the chamber and slowly feed the rounds into the chamber from the box. First round feed and ejected fine the second round would jam and the 3rd round was cocked in the box with the base too low for the bolt to pick it up. The front lips of the mag box were too wide and the follower was trying to come out of the box cocked to the right. Light bent the front portion from where it was too wide for the follower in on both sides so the follower would ride straight up into the box and it now feeds 100%. Wish I had taken pictures but hind sight is always 20-20.
Hope this helps if it's not too late.

Thank you.

I started with a modified ML box, I tweaked and bent on that thing until it looked like a car wreck.[emoji1]. I ended up ordering a 4130 box from Midwest Gunworks since there are no E boxes left. I don’t know what the difference is but it fits fine also after the modification needed to fit the Sunny Hill one piece bottom metal I got with the action. A slight bend at the left front corner seems to make everything work 99% of the time.

Your welcome.
I had the same problem area on my mag box and don't know or understand why the follower would tilt in the box.
I also have a E box in reserve should I want to do something with the 7 Rem that would need a longer box.

This is a cherry picked 3 shot group from today as the 2 other bullet choices (180gr Speer BT and 220gr Sierra RN) were nothing to brag about, basically 1 MOA+

168 AMAX here, only because I have a bunch of them for .308 Win. I’ll see if I can duplicate it before I get too excited.

92dec6dcf3ec96c0fa83a96830b20942.jpg

truck driver":1zi31ar9 said:
Your welcome.
I had the same problem area on my mag box and don't know or understand why the follower would tilt in the box.
I also have a E box in reserve should I want to do something with the 7 Rem that would need a longer box.

This is a fickle beast. Today, it would extract great but would not eject empties what so ever[emoji2959]. I remembered that I swapped extractors with a Williams I have for it. I put the factory extractor back in and it will pitch them over the moon. Beyond me what the difference is...guess it’s a good thing I had the original still. I’ve also ordered a recoil pad, the thin 1/2” rubber factory job is leaving me bruised.

I finally had enough of it and got my Savage out and screwed the Pacnor .308 and suppressor on. I got happy real quick with that one. 168gr Federal OTM, cover 10 with a quarter.

I take it you mean the ejector and not the claw extractor; if you were to lay them side by side you would see that they have a different angle on the ejector face. Wish I had pictures to show you but like a 1911 ejector you can tune it to throw the cartridges in different angles including to clear the scope if the empty is hitting it on the way out.

truck driver":3bmghr4i said:
I take it you mean the ejector and not the claw extractor; if you were to lay them side by side you would see that they have a different angle on the ejector face. Wish I had pictures to show you but like a 1911 ejector you can tune it to throw the cartridges in different angles including to clear the scope if the empty is hitting it on the way out.

Nope. The extractor. Makes absolutely no sense to me. It’s like it’s soft and has deformed, which goes against everything I have read about the Williams. I have the ejector I shortened as well as a new H&H length. They both work fine.

Back