.300 H&H

I too am a do it yourselfer but when it comes to the real tech stuff I let the pros do it and feel it is worth the price of admission.

Quick update.

I got the bottom metal fitted to the stock. It’s a Sunny Hill one piece. Very good quality but heavy enough to have been milled from a discarded anvil. I got a H & H length mag box with the project, but finding the correct follower has been another story. I have one made for Mauser conversions ordered from Wisners in Oregon. I believe it will work with slight modification. Will also have to shorten the ejector and bolt stop to fit the 3.60 cartridge.

Also the barrel I have was just enough off in terms of contour as to not fit the barrel channel without significant butchery so the correct contour is on order from Hart and 5 weeks out. I have manned up and done a couple of practice extractor grooves with a file on junk barrels. I’m confident now I can do what needs done.

Brass and reamer should be here next week along with Talley rings. Picked up a set of used 1970’s vintage RCBS dies on EBay. I’d really like to have this thing together by Spring. I think after 25 years here it’s time to tip over a Spring black bear.

Got the call from Karen Hart this morning. My barrel is ready! Ordered Dec. 13. A few days over a month, including Christmas Holiday. That ain’t too shabby!

I can only praise the .300 H&H. I know there are more powerful, more accurate .30`s out there but the old cartridge still stands it ground against the newest. Here in 2025 it can celebrate its 100 year birthday, then its a true classic. So long there is a desire for a m98 or a Pre 64 Win out there, there is a shooter or hunter that has this cartridge.

I know a few guys with older 300 H&H rifles that absolutely love them!
One has an older Remington, another an older Model 70, and one with a No.1
All three claim that their rifle is more accurate, and the bolt actions are smoother, than the the 300 Win Mags they either own or use to own.

gbflyer, don't you pay any attention to those old curmudgeons that aren't in their right minds! LOL
I happen to know one of them drives a Ford, mostly with a bag over his head so nobody will recognize him! LMAO

I’m slowly becoming an old curmudgeon myself[emoji1]

A couple pics.

Reamer going in:

4ccfbf240a5a32dab3eca7c9689ac2d1.jpg

I did a modified Gritters method on this one using a long reach test indicator instead of range rods. Usually like to chamber between centers. I guess we’ll see.

Threaded and headspaced:
87daaa3291267dd0e70c6b2316751074.jpg

Next is the extractor cut. Maybe tomorrow.

Barrel cut, crowned and installed. Ended up with 26 1/4”. Gotta be different I guess. Had a little extra time so glued in pillars. Hope to get it bedded soon and put back together. Trying to decide if I like the raw stainless look or if I should get it Cerakoted to look like the blued old school Model 70.
09180021d0296d5ca2e6b6ddeb753f6b.jpg

Definitely going to be a looker. I do love the stainless and walnut in the Featherweight.

That is really looking great! Keep posting pictures, I like what you’re doing here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the mud. This is my second Winchester 70 bedding job. The first one I think turned out worse than it was to start with [emoji15]. It was a factory plastic noodle stock though. I hope I learned something there.

b3b4f0b1a93eb92e614d47096a21dcee.jpg

Almost there. I think.

It feeds very well but I’m having a real hard time with ejection. Throws the first and third one across the room, as it should, the one in the middle hangs - up on the belt on the bottom one and sometimes doesn’t even clear the port. Very frustrating, I fiddled with it for several hours yesterday evening. I’ve ordered a new ejector and bolt stop. Having to breed an aftermarket follower into the mix I’m sure isn’t helping either.

I am officially swearing off these things and going back to push feeds when I whip this one[emoji1]

Great looking lefty you got there, very nice. Hope you get the ejection figured out.

Back