300 savage brass from .308Win?

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
All the .300 savage talk lately is giving me a touch of nostalgia, and I think I'll hunt with the old 99 again this fall. Quick inventory revealed I only have a handful of new brass left. Some misc brass and loaded ammo of unknown number of firings (a couple of moves and shufflings of supplies lost any data on these cases). Basically I need to come up with some new brass for this season, and can't find any of this caliber for a reasonable price. Will not use Hornady brass in this rifle.

Is it possible to form this round from .308 Win? I have a healthy quantity of known brass in this round. I know it isn't as simple as just running one into a .300 Sav die, tried that once (by accident). Wondering if I took a few thousandths off a shellholder to push the case further into the die and eliminate press slop? Anybody have any experience with this?

You are going to have to do a lot of trimming before running a 308 case into a 300 Savage die. I suspect the resulting case capacity would be a hair less. Hornady cases are available from Midway USA and Midsouth Shooter's Supply. Good luck with the 300 Savage. I took my first four elk with one.

I just hit them on a belt sander to get them close and then a final trim after. You don't have to trim first if you don't want to. I formed 308 from 30-06 without trimming and you can run them quite a ways in if you chamfer the outside.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

5shot":uggulc12 said:
I just hit them on a belt sander to get them close and then a final trim after. You don't have to trim first if you don't want to. I formed 308 from 30-06 without trimming and you can run them quite a ways in if you chamfer the outside.

Did you have to shorten up a shellholder or do something else? In my accidental attempt (a shiney new .308 had mixed into my shiney new .300 Sav), I ran it in, noticed something was wrong, withdrew it. Then I decided to lube the heck out of it and try to reform to .300 Sav as I had ruined the .308 case anyway. I trimmed it to spec and chamfered but the bolt would not close on it in my friend's R722.

Seemed it was still just a little long in the shoulder area. Neck was within acceptable tolerance.

Saw the Hornady brass but had horrible luck with it in 30-06. Would rather reform some of my new PRVI .308 brass than use that stuff even if it takes a lot of labor.

I did not. Maybe the 722 has a really tight chamber?

Polaris":3knwxegv said:
5shot":3knwxegv said:

Did you have to shorten up a shellholder or do something else? In my accidental attempt (a shiney new .308 had mixed into my shiney new .300 Sav), I ran it in, noticed something was wrong, withdrew it. Then I decided to lube the heck out of it and try to reform to .300 Sav as I had ruined the .308 case anyway. I trimmed it to spec and chamfered but the bolt would not close on it in my friend's R722.

Seemed it was still just a little long in the shoulder area. Neck was within acceptable tolerance.

Saw the Hornady brass but had horrible luck with it in 30-06. Would rather reform some of my new PRVI .308 brass than use that stuff even if it takes a lot of labor.

I've had EXCELLENT results with the new lots of Hornady brass. It has just about replaced Winchester for the most part. The 300 Savage brass is very good as well.

What was the issue you had?

Brass I used was really light and brittle last time I used Hornady. Weight was a full 1-2 grains less than Rem, Win or Federal. Failed after 2 firings in the necks. Was about 6 years ago, maybe I just got a bad lot.

Polaris":3jphnw6k said:
Brass I used was really light and brittle last time I used Hornady. Weight was a full 1-2 grains less than Rem, Win or Federal. Failed after 2 firings in the necks. Was about 6 years ago, maybe I just got a bad lot.

I'd heard a bunch of bad stories of Hornady's older stuff but when Winchester was hard to get I started buying Hornady and have been very happy. Little to no culls and it has been very good, only taking 3rd to Lapua and RWS.

It all depends on the make of the case but the reason that the 308 case that you tried to form to 300 Savage probably had too thick a neck. When you form 308 down to 300 you are getting into the shoulder area of the 308 which is thicker. You need to turn the necks and they will work. Winchester cases are usually the thinnest.

Back