300 Weatherby 168 ETip

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Wanted to run a couple of these through the rifle, used 7828SSC and Nosler's recommended COAL.

Seems like there could be something here. Still working with the 200 PT, but it looks like they could come around fairly easily..

Not sure on the speed of them, but I would imagine they are over 3200.

I sure do like the E-Tip in each of the rifles I've tested them in. Those are looking pretty good. Gotta' be some satisfaction in what you're seeing.

Seems pretty decent Mike. I think they could be coaxed in a little. Next time I will break out the chrono and maybe try seating a little deeper.

Wanna put one into the jugs. We don't see many recovered ET around here...

My wby is 24" barrel SUB-MOA model. It likes 168gr with 84.0gr of 7828, 215gm primers and seated to 3.560" really good accuracy .4" groups at 100yards and 1.5" groups at 300yards. speed is 3140fps.

That looks like a very promising load Scott!

Attachments

• 300.JPG
    300.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 816
6mm Remington":3afw4nr2 said:
Scott I think the 168 gr. E-tip would be a terrific bullet in the Bee.

+1

If I were running a 300 Weatherby that & the 168 gr TTSX would get worked over hard; Nosler made a great call designing these for a lower minimum velocity than the Barnes & Hornady.

Promising looking group there Scotty.

I picked up quite a few of these 168 E-Tips not long ago, as insurance for when some dingbat makes lead-core bullets illegal here in Washington.

Figured the 168 E-Tip would work well for any game I was after... Figured on using them in my .30-06 primarily.

Scotty - your initial group looks pretty good.

Guy

Thanks folks. I'll load up a few more and shorten them up a little and see what happens. Might be a great back up load.

I've seen several posts over the years Scotty where a guy got dramatic improvements using the same load but changing primers. I like Federal 215's in cases such as the Weatherby, but I saw this post (more than one actually) where a fellow switched to a different primer and shazam, everything tightened right up. I'm sure it can do the reverse as well, but it would be neat to try it and see. In the one case he switched from Federal's to Winchester primers and man what a difference it made.

I'll give it a shot David. Can't hurt. I've got some of the F215M's.

I shortened them up to 3.490. It's about as short as I can go, the neck is just about to overtake the ogive. Might try it, seems like it is very close. Haven't chronoed these yet, but it's 83 grains of 7828, CCI250's, Norma case..

I think you will be pleased with the performance of the E-Tip in your Bee, Scotty. I'm sure pleased with the performance I've witnessed in the several cartridges I've used them in.

Scotty,

Looks like MOElk.
Try seating them .100" off the lands. That seems to be the magic distance of jump.

JD338

JD338":327xhcpm said:
Scotty,

Looks like MOElk.
Try seating them .100" off the lands. That seems to be the magic distance of jump.

JD338

I think they are a MILE off the lands in this Weatherby Jim. This thing has a ton of freebore or at least more than I am used to working with. I can't go much shorter. I may try shooting it out further to see what it does though. Honestly, I have a great load with the 200 PT's, so the 168's were sort of just an experiment. Not sure where they would get the nod over the PT. Wanna run one into the jugs though. They have gotta be in the 3250-3300 range.

Back