Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Sierra ProHunter RN 220gn with
61.0 gn RL26 CciBR2 primer
OaL 3.260”, neck sized
bcee7e8f090ff3fa43a3552ed066909a.png

Or add 0.5gn and pick up 60fps
f13a48708d48036b89a42c89538bd671.png

Which would you load for a black bear at 20 yards?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt they both would get the job done. I would go with the second one for more horsepower. :grin:

Either one will git 'er done. Working that close to a black bear, either will plough through the beast, smashing any bone that happens to be in the way. I'd probably lean toward the lighter load just on the basis of accuracy and the off chance I needed that extra comfort.

Both great loads and good shooting.
I would side with DrMike since I prefer accuracy over speed but if the speed comes with the accuracy I don't complain. :)>)

jspickar":22yt4idg said:
At what distance did you shoot those groups?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

100yards.

At bear distance they are touching

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really happy have this load working. I had my second busted scope mount this summer which delayed finishing it. With standard WLR, my groups were running 1.5”, with the CCI BR2, the rifle liked that combo better.

The first busted scope mount was on a 300WSM I picked up used, was shooting great then the groups opened.

The second one was this 3006, I was burning up old 150 interlocks ringing the gong at 200 and 300 so I could neck size the cases. The RL26 needed the extra space.. I had some of the early compressed loads push the bullet back up the throat enough I could measure different lengths in 4out of 4 bullets. Between neck sizing and leaving the ramrod up for 30 seconds, it seemed to settle in better. Lengths all the same.

Dr. Mike, thank you for the QL help!

Something else you might want to try is annealing the brass after every firing which will give you better neck tension and hold the bullet tighter do to less memory and spring back in the brass.

Good add Roger, it’s possible those rounds I had trouble with were not annealed.. I didn’t mention it, but I have been annealing using the candle method.

That's a power house load there.
For the intended purpose, I'd go with the second load.

JD338

mjcmichigan":1zyhrx16 said:
jspickar":1zyhrx16 said:

100yards.

Thanks mjcmichigan. Great groups and thank you for sharing your load data. I was debating between the Sierra's you're shooting and the nosler 220gr partitions earlier this summer for my 30-06. Ended up with the partitions, but have not worked a load for it. - man, either load will work. I also prefer accuracy over velocity.

jspickar":9fi1f8t9 said:
mjcmichigan":9fi1f8t9 said:
jspickar":9fi1f8t9 said:

100yards.

... the nosler 220gr partitions earlier this summer for my 30-06.

That would normally be my choice.

The outfitter wants max expansion and mass.

What are you using for a powder and what kind of velocity are you getting.

I didn’t mention earlier. Savage bolt action with a 22” barrel...I’m really pleased with that bullet/ powder. Consistent with the QL report.

mjcmichigan":3g4kl2c4 said:
jspickar":3g4kl2c4 said:
mjcmichigan":3g4kl2c4 said:
jspickar":3g4kl2c4 said:

100yards.

... the nosler 220gr partitions earlier this summer for my 30-06.

That would normally be my choice.

The outfitter wants max expansion and mass.

What are you using for a powder and what kind of velocity are you getting.

I didn’t mention earlier. Savage bolt action with a 22” barrel...I’m really pleased with that bullet/ powder. Consistent with the QL report.

I have not loaded any 220 gr partitions yet for my 30-06. I was going to use reloader 23 since I have a bunch, and it doesn't work well in my 280ai. My 280ai does love reloader 26, btw.

My 30-06 is a Remington 700 with a 22" barrel. I am not sure I will get any loads for it this year. Also, my 30-06 seems to have a "slow" barrel. With 55.0 gr of imr 4350 and a 180gr bullet I was at 2560fps.

Some years back, in 2012, I loaded some 220 Nosler Partitions for my old 1917 30-06 with the barrel bobbed to only 21" and saw but 2380 fps.

However penetration was superb.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19074

Later I loaded and shot a few more. Accuracy was quite good. I considered revisiting that load for my grizzly hunt last year, but the outfitter mentioned the possibility of a 300 yard shot across the tundra and I went with the 200 gr Nosler Partition instead, a spitzer bullet. It produced sub MOA accuracy at 100, 200 and 300 yards at the range and there's a grizzly skin on the footboard of my bed, so it seems to have worked. :wink:

I have never tried the 220 gr Sierras. I'd imagine they are a very good bullet.

Are we talking black bear here? My son and I have used the 165 gr Partition & Ballistic Tip bullets with excellent results.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":1jwtsj54 said:
Some years back, in 2012, I loaded some 220 Nosler Partitions for my old 1917 30-06 with the barrel bobbed to only 21" and saw but 2380 fps.

However penetration was superb.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19074

Later I loaded and shot a few more. Accuracy was quite good. I considered revisiting that load for my grizzly hunt last year, but the outfitter mentioned the possibility of a 300 yard shot across the tundra and I went with the 200 gr Nosler Partition instead, a spitzer bullet. It produced sub MOA accuracy at 100, 200 and 300 yards at the range and there's a grizzly skin on the footboard of my bed, so it seems to have worked. :wink:

I have never tried the 220 gr Sierras. I'd imagine they are a very good bullet.

Are we talking black bear here? My son and I have used the 165 gr Partition & Ballistic Tip bullets with excellent results.

Regards, Guy

Yes, yes a black. I would be comfortable with a stout 165 like an AB or TSX. They got some super thick stuff and he want his hunters dropping the, no searching for bears in the thick stuff. Guessing there’s a scary story. I’ll ask when I’m there. He really likes 35 Rem and bigger. Showed him the 3006 with a nice 220 deleivers more energy than the 35 rem pushing a 225

I was thinking about your griz every time I talked to the guide

I used the old Remington 220's in my pop's 30-06 for my first black bear in Canada. Worked just fine and the bear was dead at the shot. Can't remember much about it other than 1 bazzilion black flies and having to duct tape my sleeves to keep the buggers out!

Man that is excellent speed out of the 06 with 220 grain bullets. Pretty much 150-200 fps faster than typical powders produce with that bullet weight. Some of these new powders opens up new doors if a person so chooses. Good shooting load also!

Back