300WM 180 NBT with IMR4831

caribouhunter

Beginner
Mar 31, 2009
Hi!
i’m getting a new rifle in 300 win mag.
i managed to grab 200 180NBT in classified ad.
but the only suitable powder i’ve found is imr4831.

Anybody care to share their experience with this combo?

i’ve found lots of info about RL-22 and H4831 online, but not much with the IMR

I ve had good success with both R22 and IMR4831 in my 300. 75 grs of R22 is a proven load in many 300 s with a 180 gr bullet.

Somewhere around 72-73 grs of IMR4831 should do well also.

Start lower as these are both full power loads so you want to see what your gun likes and tolerates.

Hi!

It's been a long time since I loaded the 300 Win mag, but IMR 4831 and 180's or 200's was a good combo.

Check out Nosler's own 180 grain 300 Win Mag data with IMR 4831. They report 3,160 fps at their max load. That's impressive!

Link: https://www.nosler.com/300-winchester-magnum

Some years ago a buddy of mine took 180 grain Ballistic Tips to Africa for a plains game hunt. He clobbered all sorts of game with his 300 Win Mag and that bullet. He and his professional hunter were both impressed with the performance of those bullets on elk-sized game. Gunwriter John Barsness praised the 180 grain Ballistic Tip as a good elk bullet.

I think you've got great potential with that bullet & powder combination!

Regards, Guy

Im with Guy, it's been years since I owned a 300 winney. I never got around to trying IMR-4831. I had too much success with IMR-7828 and the 180 gr NP bullet. With that being said, you should find good success with 4831. Good luck

I have good luck with IMR 4350- 180 grn partitions.
It took over a previous load with the 4831
I can look up the load if needed.

Hi!

Excellent choice in caliber
IMR 4831 is evxcellent with 180gr in the 300 Win Mag. and will do very well with 165gr also.
My favorite powder in my 300 Win Mag with 165/180 is IMR 4831.
For 190/200gr or heavier suggest H4831 or Reloader 22.

Last edited:
Excellent choice in caliber
IMR 4831 is evxcellent with 180gr in the 300 Win Mag. and will do very well with 165gr also.
My favorite powder in my 300 Win Mag with 165/180 is IMR 4831
What are your velocities with the 180 Ballistic Tips? I have a pound and a half left of RL-22, once it goes dry and I'm willing to try the IMR 4831.
Nosler book shows IMR 4831 surpasses the speed of RL-22.

Some years ago a buddy of mine took 180 grain Ballistic Tips to Africa for a plains game hunt. He clobbered all sorts of game with his 300 Win Mag and that bullet. He and his professional hunter were both impressed with the performance of those bullets on elk-sized game. Gunwriter John Barsness praised the 180 grain Ballistic Tip as a good elk bullet.

Regards, Guy
That is impressive using a Ballistic Tip for an African hunt. Would you think that the 180 Ballistic Tip can handle a nilgai? I can foresee most of you would say
"AccuBond".

What are your velocities with the 180 Ballistic Tips? I have a pound and a half left of RL-22, once it goes dry and I'm willing to try the IMR 4831.
Nosler book shows IMR 4831 surpasses the speed of RL-22.
I only use 180 BT to zero in …….then use 180 Accubonds to verify zero and to hunt with.
Vel in 24” barrel is 3040/3090 fps with IMR 4831 @70.5/ 74.0 @ 3.390”. This is a real 300 Win Mag load that was the orginal vel at introduction of the 300 Win Mag……a low/high node load. (Vel all based on temp and attitude) in your area.
Make sure you use WLR primers(not Magnum) in WW cases…….Finn Aagaard Load ! The BT is great bullet and the 180gr a little tougher but ever since the AccuBond was introduced it’s been AB for hunting for working up loads I use BT because they are cheaper and have the same BC as AB.
My 180gr AccuBond bullet supply is getting mighty low now ! I used Reloader 22 and 19 but being double based powders tend to be a little unstable so I made a decision years ago to go back toward the single based powders IMR 4350/4831 and H4831 in 300 Win Mag and 338 Win Mag. I noticed now Alliant is trying to fix the problem with Reloader 15.5 and 23/26.

Last edited:
You will not get published velocities in Nosler manuals out of your rifle so I kinda ignore that part. IMR 4831 the very accurate low node I have found is 70.5 with WW Brass and WLRM primers with 180 BT or AB. Extremely accurate in my rifle. I kinda like to go low node for hunting no need to strech the rifle.
The high node is 74.0 grains with WLR primer.
The 300 Win Mag one of my favorite rounds to reload and hunt with and don’t forget the great 180gr Nosler Part. in your 300 win mag.

Last edited:
You will not get published velocities in Nosler manuals out of your rifle so I kinda ignore that part. IMR 4831 the very accurate low node I have found is 70.5 with WW Brass and WLRM primers with 180 BT or AB. Extremely accurate in my rifle. I kinda like to go low node for hunting no need to strech the rifle.
The high node is 74.0 grains with WLR primer.
The 300 Win Mag one of my favorite rounds to reload and hunt with and don’t forget the great 180gr Nosler Part. in your 300 win mag.
Yup, I tend to get lower velocities than book max as much as 150 fps for the magnum rifles. I just work up as much as i can safely until I see pressure signs and back off a tad and find accuracy from there. When I tested the 180 Ballistic Tip a few years ago using RL-22, I sighted in at 300 yards, and the point of impact was the same as the 180 Accubonds. The BC are the same between the two. Accuracy was very very similar.

I have a old Speer manual 1966 and it has real data using the great H4831 and IMR 4350 loads in the 300 Win Mag. It’s vel are real and loads are the original 300 Win Mag vel data. I use it often.
It all changed at the 1st Nosler Manual that I have dated early 70’s. All manufacturers changed their load data ever since. The 300 Win Mag is a great round to load. Reloader 22 is very hard to find here now !

About the only 180 gr. loads I ever shot in my .300 Win. Mag. were the factory loads I used to get some brass to work with. The bullets used back them were the 200 gr. Nosler that were in round nose form. Powder was IMR 4831 pre short cut. I later found WMR to be excellent in the cartridge with the 200 gr. Speer Hot Core bullet. Been using WMR and 200 gr. Speer or Nosler Partition ever since ever since. Took down a nice cow elk at 530 yards laser measured. She dropped right and the spot, kicked a few times and expired. Bullet was the Speer 200 gr. Trying to remember how far back that was. Thinking around 2002 to maybe 2003.
Paul B.

About the only 180 gr. loads I ever shot in my .300 Win. Mag. were the factory loads I used to get some brass to work with. The bullets used back them were the 200 gr. Nosler that were in round nose form. Powder was IMR 4831 pre short cut. I later found WMR to be excellent in the cartridge with the 200 gr. Speer Hot Core bullet. Been using WMR and 200 gr. Speer or Nosler Partition ever since ever since. Took down a nice cow elk at 530 yards laser measured. She dropped right and the spot, kicked a few times and expired. Bullet was the Speer 200 gr. Trying to remember how far back that was. Thinking around 2002 to maybe 2003.
Paul B.
That Speer Hot Cor is a very underrated bullet. It retain its weight very good accuracy was on par with Partitions. And the price was cheap. I use to have a lot of the 165 Speer Hot Core I used alot 308/3006. The only Speer bullet I use today is the 350gr FN in my Marlin 45/70. A excellent bullet the Speer Hot Core.

Paul B.
MWR is long gone now just like Supreme 780. It was a imported powder by Winchester. Reloader 22 was the closest thing to it !

That is impressive using a Ballistic Tip for an African hunt. Would you think that the 180 Ballistic Tip can handle a nilgai? I can foresee most of you would say
"AccuBond".
Or Part / E- Tip / TTSX / Swift that would be my picks and last on the list with ELDX and Berger with Sierra Gamekings at magnum velocity.

Last edited:
I've killed a couple of red stags with the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.They are like a small elk,350-450lbs.I shot one with a 300 Win Mag about 125yds,mv was 3130fps.The bullet entered the onside shoulder and exited behind the offside shoulder and dropped him right there.The other red stag was shot with my 28" barreled 30-06,200yds,mv was 2992fps.Bullet entered behind the shoulder,raked the underside of the spine and exited behind the shoulder and he dropped right there.I was pleased with the performance of the 180gr Ballistic Tip,I couldn't ask for more from any bullet.I was a hater of Ballistic Tips for a long time after shooting the early versions.Nosler made changes to the bullet and from what I can tell it's just a non-bonded AccuBond.I've been shooting the newer ones for about ten years now and the Ballistic Tip or Accubonds have never disappointed me.The lead core of bullets are not all the same either.That's one thing I've noticed about the Nosler bullets,you don't get a lot of extreme bloodshot meat like some other brands of bullets.Here is a picture of the shoulder after I boned it out.It's the one shot with the 300 Win Mag entry side.You can see the hole through the lower part of the scapula.The other is the picture from the one shot with the 30-06.

I've killed a couple of red stags with the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.They are like a small elk,350-450lbs.I shot one with a 300 Win Mag about 125yds,mv was 3130fps.The bullet entered the onside shoulder and exited behind the offside shoulder and dropped him right there.The other red stag was shot with my 28" barreled 30-06,200yds,mv was 2992fps.Bullet entered behind the shoulder,raked the underside of the spine and exited behind the shoulder and he dropped right there.I was pleased with the performance of the 180gr Ballistic Tip,I couldn't ask for more from any bullet.I was a hater of Ballistic Tips for a long time after shooting the early versions.Nosler made changes to the bullet and from what I can tell it's just a non-bonded AccuBond.I've been shooting the newer ones for about ten years now and the Ballistic Tip or Accubonds have never disappointed me.The lead core of bullets are not all the same either.That's one thing I've noticed about the Nosler bullets,you don't get a lot of extreme bloodshot meat like some other brands of bullets.Here is a picture of the shoulder after I boned it out.It's the one shot with the 300 Win Mag entry side.You can see the hole through the lower part of the scapula.The other is the picture from the one shot with the 30-06.

Oh my you shot my chops ! Not good !
Less meat damage with Accubonds or Swifts !
Painful to see aim lower next time !
Rib in Rib out next time ! No shoulder shot unless it’s dangerous game ! That’s where your steaks come from !
Only use BT to zero then switch too Accubonds to confirm and hunt with. BT are great and accurate but man they fragment especially at Magnum velocity…AB less fragmentation on game

Last edited:
Back