.308 Savage 99 with 125 NBT

magothy1

Beginner
Mar 3, 2012
I was googling around and found a couple references to that rifle/load combo on here. Do any of you who've used it recall your OAL ?

Thanks
Steve

I have a .308 but I use the 168 gr BT and COAL is 2.847. Your base to lands are different from other rifles. Do you have a Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Comparator? With that you can measure your COAL of your chamber. Or size a fired case and slice the neck from the case mouth to the shoulder at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o' clock and push in a bullet and keep it long and chamber that dummy round and extract carefully and measure your chamber's OAL.
Reloading manuals have the factory recommended OAL published there, but I like it .020 off the lands to start my load development

The 125 gr .30 cal Ballistic Tip is a dandy bullet! I loaded some of those for a friend to use in her .308 Winchester. She shot a fat whitetail buck with it, and wow, it dropped him instantly! Good performance. I think it would be just as good, maybe better, in a .300 Savage.

Regards, Guy

Thanks, and yeah, Guy, that was one of the ones that popped up. I think you said you thought they were running around 3000 fps.

TackDriver- yes, I use the comparator a lot. I have the 125's set to a length to ogive that works for the 150's that shoot well. The rifle does well with the Fed Gold Match ammo, too. The previous owner said it likes Hornady 165gr flat base bullets, I got some of those after ordering the wrong ones. I had some of the 125 BT's for another rifle and thought about them for this one. I've got a handful of both bullets loaded to try.

Back