308 vs. 7mm-08

Excellent demonstration of the potent little 7, Songdog. My hunting partner of some years back used a 7mm-08. It account for a fair number of deer, moose and elk when I hunted with him.

Songdog, soooo... you're saying that the 300rds of 140gr Barnes that I bought at $15 a box wasn't a bad investment ??

What should I do with all my 140 AB's ??

I think you nailed it with your statement "I grabbed it on the way out the door.....I was impressed with it's performance".

Gunner..... I’d say 300 of the 140 Barnes ought to be enough to fill an Ark.....

I’ve been thinking about it, and I’m pretty sure there’s only a handful of critters worldwide that I wouldn’t shoot with a 140 Barnes out of a 7/08.... and they can all eat me, or stomp me into marmalade.

Honestly,

7-08 or dare I say .260.

I’ve heard quite a few nods for the .260 & 7-08 over the years for just what you plan, so that’s what I will be looking for with my son.

My wife has shot a Tikka CTR in .260 as her main (only) hunting rifle for the past 3 seasons. She has killed deer with it shooting the 130 AccuBond, and the kids have killed deer and antelope with it using the 139 Scenar. Both bullets seem to have worked well, but after seeing the Barnes performance, I loaded up some 127 LRX to test out of it. If it shoots them well, they’ll get the nod for the remainder of the season. The kids still have 2 antelope tags, and two cow elk tags that are good through the end of the year.

And with a .260 you’ll be limited to about 140gr and pretty mediocre velocity, but higher bc. Sort of self defeating. No free lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drakehammer":2yf0oj7q said:
And with a .260 you’ll be limited to about 140gr and pretty mediocre velocity, but higher bc. Sort of self defeating. No free lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m getting 2805fps with Accubonds of the 140 variety, but yes, no Free Lunch.

I owned a 308 in a BLR for a number of years :wink: but I too would choose the 7mm-08 the 284 just seems to do everything just a touch better (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I would like to offer some opinions on this topic as I have owned, still own, and have killed deer with both calibers.

My choice is the 7-08 for a lightweight carrying type hunting rifle. A medium action and a 22" barrel will get you a nice rifle and about all the practical barrel length that you need for the 308 case in the 7 mm bore. If I wanted to build a 20" barreled rifle I would go with the 308. The 7-08's that I have loaded for will get 2800 fps with a 140 gr. The 7 bore also give you the option of going heavier for shorter range work. Since you talk about antelope, the 120 class bullets should also work well.

As for the 6.5 bore, I had two 6.5 Creedmoors and consciously selected the 7-08 over the 6.5CM when I bought my Nosler 48 Heritage. I have some posts on here about that rifle, that you might like to read.

I shot a Tubb 2000 6.5 Creedmoor in F-Open for an entire season. My opinion is that it makes a great cartridge for sling shooters but does not have the precision to compete in F-Open. In my three seasons in an F-Class league, I have never seen a 6.5 CM on the podium, whereas the 6.5x47L's do occasionally edge out the 284's. When I had my 6.5 CM's, only Hornady brass was available which was a major drawback.

My second 6.5CM was a Cooper Excaliber. I can't say that it shot any better than the 7-08's that I have had. With the best twist for both calibers, I feel the 7mm has a broader accurate weight range than the 6.5's. Since the Hornady marketing machine successfully rocketed the 6.5CM to celebrity status, quality brass is now available and the factory loadings are quite extensive. Because of this, I may revisit the 6.5CM as a shooter, but my hunting rifle will remain a 7-08.

As for the 308's, I only have five of them. I just punch paper with them and don't currently have one that I hunt with. It is wonderfully easy caliber to get to shoot well. My current match rifle is a 308 built for F-TR.

We often have thoughts about what to keep if we have to cull the gun safe. I could boil the hunting rifles down to bolt guns in 223, 7-08 and 300 Win Mag. The 7-08 will always have a place in my safe.

Back