.308 Winchester 125 grain Accubond - Nice!

andrewctillman

Beginner
Feb 6, 2013
I have shot about 20 of the 125 grain AccuBond in my Remington 40X with 20 inch barrel.

51.2 grains W748 and WLR primer in WW brass gave me 3161 fps average velocity. 3144 - 3175 fps ES.

0.6 to 0.9 inch 5-shot groups, with virtually no horizontal dispersion, mostly vertical and all bullets always touching. Larger group when I saw I was building a single bug hole and got nervous! (Need better bag under right hand).

OCL 2.815 still fits in my AI magazines.

Powder charge was kind of random, just two throws of my powder measure which was set up for 64 grain Nosler bonded solid base in 223 using CFE223.

Why change anything?

Faster than I expected. It is still 3/10 grain below maximum accuracy load in nosler manual.

Best news is that it shoots 1.5 inches high from my 175 grain BTHP loads with no change for windage.

Probably be my barrier blind load for this rifle, and double as varmit, hog, deer ammo. Have used the 165 grain BT for that in the past, but this deffinately gets the .308 into the varmit category. (I had used 110 grain TAP in the past at similar velocity but it required a windage adjustment and is now very expensive.)

It remains supersonic to 1100 yards or more and will probably still expand out to 600-700 yards though I doubt I will ever shoot (or even see) anything that far. I am going to try it at Horse Ridge 1000 yard line just for fun.

What a nice versatile little bullet.

That sounds like a great load to have on hand. At 100 fps second faster than a .270 130 gr. bullet, I bet it would be devastating on deer.

Nice load and it will be a dandy for deer and hogs.

JD338

I've seen what the 125 BT's will do...and I've received some not so nice comments in return for saying they are very much a deer bullet (anything from mule deer down to coues), lol.

The AB version is sure to be at least a little better, but the BT works too.

Ridgerunner,

Can you link to some of your posts on the 125 grain BT?

I will post results in a couple days of the 125 AccuBond recovered from my std bullet test collector, 5 gallon nylon Home Depot buckets filled with water, which closely duplicates results using IWBA 10% gelatin. (See my bullet test results of premium .458 bullets posted here).

I would expect about 1 1/2 buckets or 16-18 inches penetration. Will test it on rock chucks, coyotes, auto glass and cinder blocks later this spring.

I dont expect miracles from this bullet, I wont be shooting any deer in the hip as they run away (it is not a North Fork), but it does let me use my favorite rifle more than I would otherwise.

Reloading notes; you have to tap the charge of W748 down after each throw of the powder charge handle. Even then it fills the case half way up the neck or more. Not going to be loading this on a progressive reloader! Its alot of powder for a .308. The 125 Acubond is almost as long as a 150 grain Sierra BTHP.

I've never used the 125 BT myself, but I have friends who have...in calibers from 308 up to 300 WSM...I've seen a few kills happen...all DRT!

That little bullet is a death ray!

I was on The High Road Forum....I'll find it...may have been The Firing Line, lol.

Link coming shortly

Link to my friend Dani's use of the 125 gr Ballistic Tip from her .308 on a whitetail buck last fall:

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=26561

She achieved excellent accuracy with that bullet from her lightweight Sako, and that buck dropped as though he'd been struck by lightning!

Guy

Ridgerunner665":3s6nte1l said:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=736896&page=3

A mess I stirred up just for fun...270 vs 30-06 debate, lol....the 125 grain bullets breathe new life into that old campfire pasttime. :lol:

RR665, I read some of that link you posted. Good stuff.

Guy

Guy Miner":1vt7t1qf said:
Ridgerunner665":1vt7t1qf said:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=736896&page=3

A mess I stirred up just for fun...270 vs 30-06 debate, lol....the 125 grain bullets breathe new life into that old campfire pasttime. :lol:

RR665, I read some of that link you posted. Good stuff.

Guy

Thanks Guy...I pondered that whole topic in my head for a few weeks (literally) before I made the post, lol...I knew there'd be a lot of "debate"....wanted to have my answers ready!

It was a fun thread...

I was surprised, and impressed, when I started comparing 125 gr .30-06 trajectory, with what my .25-06 does with 100's and 115's...

Guy

Its amazing just how fast the 06 will launch those things...that kind of speed changes the whole concept of a 30-06, lol...most folks will never try them, or read up on them, and they fail to understand, lol.

And a big Thank You to Nosler for these bullets...the 125 AccuBond and Ballistic Tip...best bullet in that weight class for 30 caliber rifles.

Very nice. I ran some 125 Pro Hunters on deer from a 308 using mild loads of Varget. Killed deer well.

Haven't gotten around to trying the 125 BT's or AB's, but I bet it would make a dynamic combo as Guy and a few others have already shown us.

I have killed in excess of 50 deer with the 125 Nosler ballistic tip with various caliber weapons.
As long as you keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps it kills deer great. It really shines when impact velocity is between 2800 and 2000 fps. At these speeds it will usually enter a deers scapula and exit the other scapula and wipe out everything in between. My 308 Win load is 46 grs IMR 4895 and it runs 3000 fps from my 21 1/2" Heart barrel. I have gotten a few of my friends who use a 308 to deer hunt to give this load a try and they have all fallen in love with it. Usually it kills deer BANG FLOP and if not they don't go over two or three jumps. I have used the 130 gr AccuBond in my 264 Win mag at 3350 fps muzzle velocity and even at 30 yards it will exit a deer shooting it through the shoulders. I have killed a dozen of so deer with this bullet from 30 to right at 400 yards and all but one has exited and all deer were DRT. I recovered one bullet from a buck shot at 111 yards almost facing me. Bullet entered edge of left shoulder and was found in the right ham after smashing the ball socket. Bullet was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grains. If that is any indication on how the 125 AccuBond will react then it should be a really good bullet for deer well over 3000 fps impact velocity.

Test results are in.

Muzzle velocity, about 3,160 fps.

Velocity at target, about 2,985 fps.

Target:

two 5 gallon nylon Home depot buckets filled with water at 75 yards. (90% correlation to critters for frontal area and 95% for retained weight). 11 inches deep x 15 inches high. Center hit.

Expansion, uniform .604 average diameter. (.573 x .608 x .627 x .610).

Weight retention, 80.2 grains, 64%.

Height of bullet, 0.324 inches.

Penetration, 1 1/2 buckets or 16 inches. (No sign of denting rear of second bucket). And no noticable damage to the second bucket. (Lid remained tightly on).

Likely over pressure, .270 winchester class on first bucket which is unusual for a .308. It split the front of the bucket open which is similar to a 130 grain 270 winchester, and a good indication of a bang flop on a heart shot. Almost completely tore it in two which is very unusual for a .308. (Usually requires magnum ctg at point blank range).

Observation about this bullet. I was plesantly surprised that it maintained its frontal area without the mushroom being swaged down parallel to the bearing surface of the bullet. The jacket was thick enough to support the expanded mushroom. About 1/4 inch of bearing surface left unexpanded above the boat tail solid base. Bright shiny lead core, probably has alot of tin in it? Lead fragments fused onto base of bullet and underneath mushroom suggests the bullet turned over 180 degrees and traveled base forward after penetrating the second bucket. Surprising since it is so short and over stabilized from 1-10 twist and with high MV. Generally not a good thing for a bullets integrity since the metal work hardens when it expands and can break off easily base forward. (This is how long for caliber Barnes X bullets loose their X petals).

7.62 NATO Mk 319 ammo (130 grain solid base fragmenting HP) has MV of 2950 fps and compltely tears first bucket in two at point blank range, severely damages second bucket, and recovered in third! 51 grains retained weight but only .324 diameter copper base remaining. Nosler not likely to duplicate MK319 as barrier blind load but far better than an unbonded bullet of this weight. Pictured 556 Mk318 on left and 762 Mk319 on right. (The Nosler 64 grain bonded solid base at 556 velocities equals or exceeds performance of the Mk318 on most targets).

The similarity of MK319 and 125 AB on first bucket demonstrates that the large expanded FA of a good bonded bullet at high velocity can nearly equal over pressure and temporary cavity of the most extreme fragmenting bullet.

Percentage of weight retention of the 125 grain AB is actually similar to a 180 grain Woodleigh out of a 30-06 at 400 fps less velocity! I like it.

Looks good. Flattened out less, and retained more weight than the 125 gr .30 cal Ballistic Tip used by Dani on her whitetail buck last fall.

Guy

Great recovery. Looks real nice. Can't imagine that bullet not working real well for you 308 shooters.

Hmmmmmm wonder how it would perform in a good old 30-06. I would like to load up something that he could handle.

Back