308 Winchester Favorite Loads

For the 220's, I'm actually going to work up a subsonic load.
For the 130 gr TTSX, I've read how this load drops deer DRT. RL338 gave me a box to try. Ultimately, I'm looking for a youth load that's easy recoil with a suppressor and a quick killer.

JD338
Both are excellent loads. Those 220's are shooting great. The 130's should be awesome on deer and even bigger game.

I'm curious, what are your plans for those loads? That 220 is a factory velocity 30-06 load and the 130 is a lot like a 270 Win load.
I did a test a few years ago running 180 gr; Winchester power point ammo in .308 Win. and 30-06. Both rifles had 22" barrels. I don't remember the exact velocity received but the surprise was the .308 was 20 FPS FASTER than the 30-06. it was something like 2610 for the 06 and 2630 for the .308. I also ran a few through a 24" barrel and the 26" barrel of a Ruger #1. The Ruger was the ONLY rifle that came close 2700 FPS, the factory advertised velocity. Seems like we might not be getting what we think we're getting.

Then again, we may be missing the point. Pressure level is specified by SAAMI. So if SAAMI says the Maximum Allowable Pressure (MAP) for the 30-06 is 50KPSI then that's what they try to not load past that level. Every lot gets checked aand if just one test load exceeds that MAP limit, the whole lot is I believe scrapped to reuse the components. To be safe, load a hair light and that's what I'm thinking what was done with that lot of ammo I tested. Before I had to stop shooting under doctor's orders, I was playing a lot with the 7x57 Mauser. factory loads are by SAAMI decree loaded to 45KCUP/50KPSI by the factories. the 175 gr. round nose ammo is supposed to run 2400 and change FPS. I had two lots of 7x57 ammo, one from 1973 when I had my first 7x57 rifle and a lot from I would guess 1990 when I bought a Winchester M70 Featherweight around that time frame. I ran samples from both lots over the chronograph and neither lot reached 2300 FPS. For all practical purposes that 7x57 ammo was nothing more an a very warm 30-30 load ballistically. I presume that factory was being very cautious due to those weak 93 and 95 Mauser rifles that are still in use. FWIW, while I was still able to shoot, I ran 7x57 using 7-08 data. Perfectly safe in a modern firearm as the 7x57 case has a larger capaicty for powder by two or three grains, possibly a bit more depending on wwhich brand of brass you use. I use Winchester and Remington and both work quite well with those loads.
Paul B.

I did a test a few years ago running 180 gr; Winchester power point ammo in .308 Win. and 30-06. Both rifles had 22" barrels. I don't remember the exact velocity received but the surprise was the .308 was 20 FPS FASTER than the 30-06. it was something like 2610 for the 06 and 2630 for the .308. I also ran a few through a 24" barrel and the 26" barrel of a Ruger #1. The Ruger was the ONLY rifle that came close 2700 FPS, the factory advertised velocity. Seems like we might not be getting what we think we're getting.

Then again, we may be missing the point. Pressure level is specified by SAAMI. So if SAAMI says the Maximum Allowable Pressure (MAP) for the 30-06 is 50KPSI then that's what they try to not load past that level. Every lot gets checked aand if just one test load exceeds that MAP limit, the whole lot is I believe scrapped to reuse the components. To be safe, load a hair light and that's what I'm thinking what was done with that lot of ammo I tested. Before I had to stop shooting under doctor's orders, I was playing a lot with the 7x57 Mauser. factory loads are by SAAMI decree loaded to 45KCUP/50KPSI by the factories. the 175 gr. round nose ammo is supposed to run 2400 and change FPS. I had two lots of 7x57 ammo, one from 1973 when I had my first 7x57 rifle and a lot from I would guess 1990 when I bought a Winchester M70 Featherweight around that time frame. I ran samples from both lots over the chronograph and neither lot reached 2300 FPS. For all practical purposes that 7x57 ammo was nothing more an a very warm 30-30 load ballistically. I presume that factory was being very cautious due to those weak 93 and 95 Mauser rifles that are still in use. FWIW, while I was still able to shoot, I ran 7x57 using 7-08 data. Perfectly safe in a modern firearm as the 7x57 case has a larger capaicty for powder by two or three grains, possibly a bit more depending on wwhich brand of brass you use. I use Winchester and Remington and both work quite well with those loads.
Paul B.
Valid points being made there☝️. Ammo manufactures have to keep in mind of the 100+ year old firearms that are still being used today.
This is why handloading is such a viable option , developing a safe and accurate load for your firearm.

Back