308 Winchester Favorite Loads

JD, I've got one for you just loaded more of 'em this morning:

Federal Gold Medal once fired brass
CCI BR-2 primers
44.8 grains of Varget
155 grain Berger VLD

That was an old match load of mine and it shot superbly at 600 yards. I loaded some recently and...

Five shot 100 yard groups in the .5's
MV of 2840
ES of 16
SD of 6

Also - no it's not a Nosler - but I've taken four mule deer over the years with Bergers, including last year's buck at 350 yards... I've had 'em penetrate both shoulder blades on a muley, and absolutely trash the heart-lung area. They really do work.

However, if you want to stick with a 150ish grain Nosler, I suspect that an otherwise identical load would work real well. :)

Regards, Guy

JD, I've got one for you just loaded more of 'em this morning:

Federal Gold Medal once fired brass
CCI BR-2 primers
44.8 grains of Varget
155 grain Berger VLD

That was an old match load of mine and it shot superbly at 600 yards. I loaded some recently and...

Five shot 100 yard groups in the .5's
MV of 2840
ES of 16
SD of 6

Also - no it's not a Nosler - but I've taken four mule deer over the years with Bergers, including last year's buck at 350 yards... I've had 'em penetrate both shoulder blades on a muley, and absolutely trash the heart-lung area. They really do work.

However, if you want to stick with a 150ish grain Nosler, I suspect that an otherwise identical load would work real well. :)

Regards, Guy
Thank you Guy. I'll have to give your load a try as I just bought an 8 pounder of Varget.
The 150 gr BT works very well on deer. I'm going to try the 165 gr BT next weekend.

JD338

I'm going to try the 165 gr BT next weekend.

JD338
I tested the BT 165's last week, used a stout load of Varget and velocity was a nice 2840 fps out of the 26 inch tube, it was moving and it was a bughole. Used BR-2 primers and 45.7 grains of powder. Saw some slight pressure at 46 grains. You may want to start low and work up. I rolled 10 more last night to sight in soon. Let us know how it went for you.

Here’s one for you guys. Federal brass, 55 grain .224 E-Tip in an EABCO accelerator sabot, over RL-7. This one gives me groups of 1 1/2” and 3900 fps from a 22” barrel. As far as pressure goes it’s supposed to only be a 40k psi load. I’ve never seen a coyote drop so fast………ever. It’s most certainly a novelty load but very cool. EA Brown has the load data on the page where they sell the sabots. Some of you I’m sure remember the Remington Accelerator ammunition.

Last edited:
308…. They still make them:sneaky:

Just kidding. You guys being all efficient and stuff.
They work. They surely are not spectacular, but they get the job done.
I actually have two 308 Win's:
Center-grip XP-100 - AKA The Dirty Thirty and a F-TR rig. Two completely different set-ups, but they both are single-shots.
The two nicknames I use for the cartridge: the 3-O-WAIT and the 3-O-LATE....When you are shooting distance, you kind of have to wait😁

Here’s one for you guys. Federal brass, 55 grain .224 E-Tip in an EABCO accelerator sabot, over RL-7. This one gives me groups of 1 1/2” and 3900 fps from a 22” barrel. As far as pressure goes it’s supposed to only be a 40k psi load. I’ve never seen a coyote drop so fast………ever. It’s most certainly a novelty load but very cool. EA Brown has the load data on the page where they sell the sabots. Some of you I’m sure remember the Remington Accelerator ammunition.
I have a bunch of 55gr TTSXs coming and thought about trying them in my 308. You must be one of the few lucky ones to make them work. I was researching these last weekend and couldn’t find anyone that made them work.

I have a bunch of 55gr TTSXs coming and thought about trying them in my 308. You must be one of the few lucky ones to make them work. I was researching these last weekend and couldn’t find anyone that made them work.
I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn from the inside to begin with. The 4198’s were pretty good, but of course the lone pound of RL7 I have groups best. The copper bullets were also more consistent than c&c. It’s extremely important to make sure the bullet is inserted in the sabot completely, they are tight. I started by searching for a load 1/2 grain at a time. Not until using .1 grain adjustments could I tighten it up any. With such a high velocity it seems they are much more sensitive than I expected with the light bullet. I may shoot 20 of them a year, if that many. So the RL7 should last a minute. They are a fun little respite from serious reloading. Approach it as a novelty and enjoy it. Next is to try and get them to open sight standards in my 30-30. I’d be limited to 2 rounds. One in the tube and one in the chamber. I don’t know, just thinking out loud.

Remember, don’t shoot them through a flash suppressor or a can. It will destroy your silencer and possibly your flash suppressor. Also, if you chrono them be careful. Sit it a little closer so the sabot doesnt hit the chrono. Magneto speeds are a no no as well.

Last edited:
Looks like I'll be shooting a 308 Winchester this fall. I wanted to run the 165/168 gr BT but availability is a problem so I'm going with the 150 gr PT. I've got a couple pounds of RL15 to get me started.
What are you fellas loading for the 308 Win?
Thanks for your help.

JD338
I would start at 45.0 of RL 15 with 165gr and 44.1 with 180’s. It’s a temp sensitive powder with the new RL 15.5 trying to correct the problem. At one time M118LR ammo was loaded with RL 15 by LC.

Me and Varget have a great relationship in 308 WIN for years but let me slip in IMR 4064/4895 also.
My favorite target load was 168MK and 44.5 of Varget in WW Palma brass with CCI BR2 primers in 308 WIN and 45.0 with 175 MK.
VARGET are great powder for the 308 Win ! One powder that will always be on my shelf.
Note: noticed over years Hodgdon powder prefers CCI primers

Last edited:
5 pounds of Varget is truly black gold compared to what I have. I have less than a pound. But I don’t shoot the 308 win like I did years ago so my hord of 4064/Varget will last a loooong time. Varget one of my most favorite powders for years even in the 5.56 with 77gr MK.

Looks like I'll be shooting a 308 Winchester this fall. I wanted to run the 165/168 gr BT but availability is a problem so I'm going with the 150 gr PT. I've got a couple of
Looks like I'll be shooting a 308 Winchester this fall. I wanted to run the 165/168 gr BT but availability is a problem so I'm going with the 150 gr PT. I've got a couple pounds of RL15 to get me started.
Thanks for your help.

JD338

pounds of RL15 to get me started.
Thanks for your help.

JD338

Back