338-06 210 Partitions

sevenbridgesroad

Beginner
Feb 2, 2021
10
0
Yesterday I was running some pressure and velocity tests in my rifle using imr 4320 and 4350 using 210 partitions in my 338-06.

I was using Nosler's published load data to see what they produce in my rifle. My rifle has a 24 in barrel, but I was using CCI 200 primers. All cartridges were loaded with the same OAL of 3.33.

I loaded the cartridges with 4320 at 51, 51.5 and 52 grains. 52 grains is listed as the max load, which produced 2589 on my chrono. This is 100 fps less than listed by Nosler. 4320 is listed as most accurate.

The cartridges with 4350 were loaded at 58, 59, 59.5 and 60 grains. 60 grains listed as max load. At 60 grains the chrono showed 2643, 32 fps higher than listed by Nosler.

The 4350 performed as expected, but 4320 came up short by quite a bit. Could this be a normal variation in my rifle? Could I push the 4320 up in .5 grain increments until I see signs of over pressure?

4350 has always produced great results in my 30.06 and my fathers 7mm mag, but from posts I've read, it seems as though 4350 is viewed as too slow in a 338-06.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
 

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
31,398
757
I’d feel very comfortable loading in 1/2 grain increments up to Noslers published speeds. Keep an eye on cases and pay care to what your rifle is doing and I’d be a ok with working up to published specs.

Welcome aboard as well.
 

Tjay

Beginner
Mar 19, 2015
212
40
Welcome.

Another thing to keep in mind is 4320 has been discontinued.
 

sevenbridgesroad

Beginner
Feb 2, 2021
10
0
SJB358":2cn3e09f said:
I’d feel very comfortable loading in 1/2 grain increments up to Noslers published speeds. Keep an eye on cases and pay care to what your rifle is doing and I’d be a ok with working up to published specs.

Welcome aboard as well.
I appreciate the suggestion.

I never hit any pressure signs with either of the max loads. I might use your suggestion to load in 1/2 grain increments to see what I can get out of the 4350. I've always had good luck with imr4350.

On the other hand I've never had great experiences with 4320. I had some on hand and was using it based on what Nosler 8 recommended.

Tjay saved me some time as I didn't know it was discontinued.

I do have some 4064 on hand that I can experiment with.


Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
 

sevenbridgesroad

Beginner
Feb 2, 2021
10
0
Tjay":2xdwzrvt said:
Welcome.

Another thing to keep in mind is 4320 has been discontinued.
Thanks! I did not know 4320 was discontinued. That saves me some time.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
 

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
1,997
565
The load for my 338-06 using the 210 gr PT is 56.5 gr of BL-C2 in Wby cases and WLR primers for 2749 fps and 1" groups out of my 22" King barrel on a LH Rem 700. As a comparison, the Wby 210 gr PT ammunition produced 2750 fps in my rifle, and 1/2" groups.

The load I have used with IMR-4320 is 50,0 gr with the 200 gr BT in Wby cases and WLR primers for 2590 fps. It produced just over 3/4" groups on average.

My preferred load that I have been using is the 215 gr SGK with 62.0 gr of H-414 in Wby cases with WLR primers for 2751 fps. This consistently shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards. With the higher bc of this bullet, it will outperform the 210 gr PT factory loads in my 338 Win Mag with a 24" barrel, at 300 yards for retained energy and velocity; with less recoil!
 

sevenbridgesroad

Beginner
Feb 2, 2021
10
0
Blkram":1gixsj4i said:
The load for my 338-06 using the 210 gr PT is 56.5 gr of BL-C2 in Wby cases and WLR primers for 2749 fps and 1" groups out of my 22" King barrel on a LH Rem 700. As a comparison, the Wby 210 gr PT ammunition produced 2750 fps in my rifle, and 1/2" groups.

The load I have used with IMR-4320 is 50,0 gr with the 200 gr BT in Wby cases and WLR primers for 2590 fps. It produced just over 3/4" groups on average.

My preferred load that I have been using is the 215 gr SGK with 62.0 gr of H-414 in Wby cases with WLR primers for 2751 fps. This consistently shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards. With the higher bc of this bullet, it will outperform the 210 gr PT factory loads in my 338 Win Mag with a 24" barrel, at 300 yards for retained energy and velocity; with less recoil!
Thanks. I'll keep this in mind when powder starts showing back up again. Those are the velocities I am trying to reach.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
 

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
1,997
565
I have talked to a few people I know over the years that have 338-06 AI's and was surprised at first to learn that they were achieving similar velocities as I was getting. They were as surprised as I to learn of the velocities that I was getting with H-414 and BL-C2.
Not sure if I have a fast barrel...but have been happy with the performance of these two handloads matching Wby factory ammo velocities, as it is generally accepted that one cannot achieve the same velocities that Norma loads Wby's ammo because of the difference in powders and commercial loading techniques, with handloads.
 
Top