338 cal 200 gr E-Tip

6 K":t8cegwzh said:
Hi,
I am about to load some of these for the first time ( 200 gr .338 E-Tips)
My previous 200gr load was 77gr of H4350 giving me 3180 to 3210 fts. I am hopeing to duplicate these velocities with the E-Tips. My question is what charge to start with? The one manual I have only lists a maximum load. the other only has a 210gr bullet. I am thinking I will start at 68gr. and move up in 1gr increaments to 70gr. then .5grs from there. I thought I would ask on here to see if anyone thought this too agressive.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Welcome to the forum. First, what 338 caliber are you loading for? Second, I highly advise getting a Nosler #6 manual.

Welcome to the forum. First, what 338 caliber are you loading for? Second, I highly advise getting a Nosler #6 manual.[/quote]

Oops, I see I did miss this in my post ,338 Win mag,
I haven't looked at Nosler # 6 , but never really been happy with the Nosler manual I did buy, #3. For the most part I find bullet manufactures don't have a wide range of loads, they only print loads with their own bullets, so I tend to lean to powder manufature's manuals. Surprizing enough they do print their competitors products. Two years ago I bought hodgon's reloading annual and liked it however I seem to have miss placed it during my last move. Perhaps I should take a flip through #6 though.

The reason I mentioned getting the Nosler #6 is, Nosler states that to load E-Tips, the middle/medium load info in their #6 manual is to be considered MAX for E-Tips. Also, when Nosler publishes a new manual, all previous manuals are to be considered out-dated information. When I get home, I'll look and see if Nosler #6 has H4350 listed for 338WM & 200gn bullets and post the info.

If you use Hodgdon info to load the E-Tip, use extreme caution as you don't really know where the "Middle/Medium" is, you have to guess, not something the beginner reloader should be doing IMO. I did this with my 30-06 and the 180ET and it work out well, but I err'd on the side caution by stopping at 54gns of H4350. I got sub-.5" groups at 100M with 53.5gn and an average verlocity of 2750fps.

6 K":9endt7yi said:
For the most part I find bullet manufactures don't have a wide range of loads, they only print loads with their own bullets.

A question for you, why would a bullet maker spend the time, resources, and money to publish any kind of load data for someone else's bullet?
Same question applies to powder makers, for instance, why would Hodgdon, publish data for, say, Alliant's or Accurate's brand of powders? FYI, Hodgdon bought out IMR and also bought the rights to market/distribute Winchester's brand powder, so they will do all of the "leg work" to generate load data for those brands of powder.

If you check out Alliant's load data, the use either Speer or Sierra bullets (I don't remember which) and no info is listed for other bullet makers.

Just somethings to consider.

Sorry, but Nosler doesn't list H4350 in their #6 manual for 200gn 338WM.

Hodgdon lists (using a Speer bullet) a starting load of 65gn and listed max of 72.5 of H4350. Use extreme caution if you're going to use this info to load from.

So' should I step it back to .5g increments to 70gr the .25 after that. Is 68gr. too high of a charge to start with?

If it were me, I would start at 65gn and work up in .5 increments to 69gns. If there isn't even the slightest indication of over pressure, I may try 69.5 and then maybe 70gns, but don't think I'd go over 70gns. My progress between 65 and 69 grains will be dictated by accuracy. If you know how to work the BOSS, you can tighten your groups up, but you need to set it for the Browning recommended "Sweet Spot" for a 225gn round.

Edit #1: I need to state the following: The information mentioned above is nothing more than one person's guess at loading Nosler E-tips with no Nosler provided data for that specific caliber, bullet, and powder.

6 K

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here.

The E-Tip has a long bearing surface area which results in higher pressures. When loading the E-Tip, the mid range loads printed in the Nosler RG #6 are considered the MAX loads. Going above this could result in a dangerous pressure spike.

Your current 338 Win Mag is in 338 RUM territority. Hodgdons web site shows a MAX load of H4350 at 72.5 grs 2969 fps 52,200 CUP. You might want to double check your data because you may be running at dangerous pressure levels. Laoding an E-Tip could cause some serious coniquences.

JD338

Richracer1,
Thank you, Your guesses and "what you would do" are what I was looking for. Having not loaded E-Tips preivoiusly I am only looking to see where others have started and what they concidered safe increace increments of powder would be. I wish not to detonate my dearly beloved T.Z.O.D. but don't want to waste time or components either. Thanks to our new president they are getting pricey and difficult to to accuire up here.
I will start @ 65gr.

JD338,
ya, I never have found 77gr. of H4350 printed anywhere else but the 1994 edition of Hodgdon's Basic Reloaders Manual. Previously I used this charge with a 200 gr BT and have had NO pressure sighns at all.
I have always been happy with the tragectory, consistant velocities and accuracy. The reason I am switching is the BT has had some poor preformance at these velocities. Especially at close range. Probably beyond what it was ever made to handle. I thought of the AccuBond, but the E-tip looks much tougher and still may have reliable expantion qualities.
I would like to get the same trajectory as the BT ( comes in handy for Mt.sheep and Goat) but obviously will only load to what pressure sighns determine safe. Any advice helping me achieve this is apprieciated. I will probably try H4831 if the 4350 is unsatisfactory, Just because I have some on the shelf. Maybe some reloader 19 and/or 25 :?:
On a side note my Grizz load is probably in .338RUM territory too. :?
73.9gr. H4350 behind a 250gr. Speer Grand Slam 2900fps over the Chrony. No pressure sighns.
Puts big holes in bears. :wink:

Greg, I may have mislead you on that statement. The hog I mention is that same hog I took last November. I have not been hog hunting since then. I took that hog just north of Paso Robles on a 100,000 acre ranch....

I recovered a 200 gr E-Tip from water jugs at 300 yds. This is one tough bullet! It went through 6 water jugs, and 2 1/2 inch pcs of plywood and was recovered in sand. The bullet weighed 197.1 grs and expanded to .709". The picture shows bullets from 100 yds (l) and 300 yds (r).
This is one tough bullet!
338RUM200grE-Tip100and300yds.jpg

338200grE-Tip100and300yds.jpg

JD338

You know JD the more you post about these the more interested I am. They have good BCs for their weight and seem to penitrate into tomorrow! Plus they like to be shot farther off the lands, so I bet I would be able to get them to shoot better that the AB that I can't get close enough to the lands.

JD what is the lenght of the 200 gr. E Tip? I'm tring to get it into my QL program.

jmad_81

The 338 cal 200 gr E-Tip is 1.426" long
The BC is listed at .425.

JD338

Just heard on another forum that at least one guy had real fouling thus accuracy problems with the e-tips. Anyone here have that happening?
I hope to get out with my test loads this week. I'll let you guys know how it went.
6 K

I have used the 338 cal 200 gr and 7mm 150 gr E-Tips and have not had a problem with fouling. The E-Tip is made from a new 210 alloy that raises the tensile strength and reduces fouling.

JD338

JD,

Have you got any info on the impact velocity for the 300yd test? I'd work it out myself but I am nowhere near my ballistics calculator.

Any thoughts on the minimum velocity to achieve reliable expansion.

I am thinking my 338 Federal helicopter gun which is somewhat challenged for outright velocity.

Cheers

MattC

This will give you an idea-

Range Drop MOA Adj MV ME
000 -1.5 0 0 3111 4298
050 0.4 -0 + 3 2993 3979
100 1.4 -1 + 1 2879 3680
150 1.2 -0 + 3 2767 3400
200 0.0 0 + 0 2658 3137
250 -2.5 1 + 0 2552 2892
300 -6.3 2 + 0 2449 2662
350 -11.6 3 + 1 2348 2448
400 -18.4 4 + 2 2250 2247
450 -26.9 5 + 3 2154 2059
500 -37.4 7 + 1 2060 1884

JD338

Thanks JD,

As I suspected, your 300yd velocity is around 150fps more than I get at the muzzle with a 200gn AB. It'd be interesting to see what the E-Tip would be doing at 2000fps.
I have no real reason to change as the AB and heavier Partitions serve me well taking down large ferals at ranges to 100yard from a chopper... but reload time is coming up and I have been chomping at the bit to get into some E-Tips. The Federal is the only one that I have any doubts about. Might just have to buy a few and see.

Cheers

Back