338 Nosler Partitions

Charlie-NY

Handloader
Mar 11, 2005
Not too long ago I joined the gripe about the long time absence of Nosler's 250gr Accubonds in .338. Out of desperation, I caved in and bought a couple of boxes of 250gr Partitions which are easy to find. Flat based, semi-pointed, lead nose, bullets don't do anything for me but I've got to get ready for an upcoming moose hunt and lost hope in finding any Accubonds.

I loaded up three different loads which came from various reloading manuals. I shot all three groups at 200yds, which is my standard distance for load development. Load, velocity, standard deviation and bullet jump are indicated. Here is what I found when I walked down range:

338_RUM_1.JPG

338_RUM_2.JPG

338_RUM_3.JPG

Now who needs those stinkin' Accubonds anyway?

Next week I'll give em' a go at 300yds and see what we've got.

Yeah, I'd say that any one of those loads will work. I often find that Partitions give me better accuracy (and perhaps better performance) in quite a variety of cartridges. I daresay that the Partition is my preferred bullet in both the 300WSM and the 7mm RM, despite the fact that ABs shoot reasonably well in either rifle that I currently own in those cartridges. Partitions don't always give me exceptional accuracy, but they do give me accuracy that makes me take notice.

Charlie-NY":2ttwozv1 said:
Flat based, semi-pointed, lead nose, bullets don't do anything for me but I've got to get ready for an upcoming moose hunt and lost hope in finding any Accubonds.

Somehow I think you're opinion is about to change. :wink:

Nice shooting!

The 225 and 250 grain Partitions sure have worked for me in my .340 Weatherby! Shoot flat, hit hard and animal's are DRT!

Yeah, hard to be disappointed with any of those. You've got yourself a freight train there, for certain. Good job!

With groups like those at 200 yards I wouldn't care less if they ever made another 250 AccuBond. Excellent shooting.

If the RE25 load can reproduce the .2 moa group I'm selling my 22-250 and using the 338 RUM for groundhogs. Do you think the Partitions will expand? I wouldn't want the little guys to suffer. LMAO

Charlie-NY":6dtrvd1k said:
If the RE25 load can reproduce the .2 moa group I'm selling my 22-250 and using the 338 RUM for groundhogs. Do you think the Partitions expand? I wouldn't want the little guys to suffer. LMAO

Oh I would certainly think so but just to be on the safe side you might want to take shoulder shots only just to be sure. :mrgreen:

I started the NAB thread and shoot both. I took a medium size moose about 1100 lbs. in 2011 at just under 100 yards with a 250gr Partition from my 338 rum. He went about 25 yards and piled up. It went in on the last rib, broke the offside shoulder and stopped under the skin. It passed through about 3 1/2 feet of moose before it stopped. It is strong medicine for whatever walks. 92 gr. Rl 25 at 2930 fps.

Fwood

Charlie,
Reloader 25 is your load buddy. That is one sweet group you shot. Verify it again. I have found that powder to be very consistent in my 300 RUM.

Don

Man, Charlie, that is one awesome load you have right there and like you, I am finding RL25 to be awesome in the overbore cartridges.

What a power house and man, that kinda accuracy is just unreal. Way to go. Like Bill said, I wouldn't ever mess around with another bullet with a 250 PT shooting like that!

Charlie,

The 250 gr PT is indeed an accurate bullet. RL 25 produces some excellent accuracy as seen by your groups and the one I shot a while back. 4 shots went .490" c/c.
338RUM250grPT.jpg

FWIW, 98.6 grs Retumbo gives me 3024 fps with single digit ES and SD along with .5 MOA accuracy.
Nice shooting Charlie.

JD338

Partitions will expand on anything shot at over 1800 fps. It will blow a ground hog to pieces with a 250 grain PT at 2600 fps!

I think you should go to SPS and stock up on them while they are on sale and not worry about anything else. It obviously really shoots!

nvbroncrider":27hum473 said:
I think you should go to SPS and stock up on them while they are on sale and not worry about anything else. It obviously really shoots!

Now that was a good tip! I just grabbed 250 of the 250gr Partitions for less than half the retail cost. This will be my first time using "blems" but you guys seem to have good luck with them.

JD338 - How in the world do you get 98.6gr of powder in the case? Hammer and oak dowel? I think I'll increase my RETUMBO charge by 2 grains if it doesn't require the hammer? LOL :lol:

Charlie

Drop tube or vibrate the powder charge with a Black & Decker Mouse. ;)
The 250 gr PT at over 3000 fps is a powerful load. :)

JD338

Back