338 Win Mag

300RMEFshooter

Beginner
Jan 14, 2009
I just got a Remington XCR II in 338 Win Mag and was wondering what ammo I should try? I'm thinking about giving the Federal 210 grain Nosler Partitions a try

What are you going to be hunting and what is your max range going to be?

The 210 gr PT is a great bullet in the 338 Win Mag for almost anything that needs a 338 Win Mag.

JD338

If I were using 1 bullet for everything in the 338WM, I would be hard pressed to use anything but the 225gr PT in the Nosler or Federal ammo. You would be well heeled for EVERYTHING in NA and I can't imagine you would be undergunned for anything. Scotty

I've used 225 gr accubonds, partitions and Swift A-Frames. You know what, they all worked well. I'm going for 210 gr. TSXs in my new Mossberg 4x4 338 since it's going to be my new "designated California leadless pig gun" replacing the Savage 325 wsm. I like Accubonds best. The Swift A-Frames are pretty deadly but not as accurate.
Greg

That 210 NP is a nice all around bullet in the .338 as is the 225gr.

Try to match the weight to the game. In the Lower 48 theres nothing that 210gr wouldn't handle. In Alaska or Africa you might consider a heavier bullet depending on what you hunt.

A friend tried some 180gr ABs on carribou this year with his .338.... results were impressive to say the least. You could have told me they were hit with an RPG and I'd have believed it.

hodgeman":rcnqdxik said:
That 210 NP is a nice all around bullet in the .338 as is the 225gr.

Try to match the weight to the game. In the Lower 48 theres nothing that 210gr wouldn't handle. In Alaska or Africa you might consider a heavier bullet depending on what you hunt.

A friend tried some 180gr ABs on carribou this year with his .338.... results were impressive to say the least. You could have told me they were hit with an RPG and I'd have believed it.

I have some 180gr BT's I want to try in my 338WM. Have not gotten around to it yet, but I figure if those shoot well, it will be a good excuse to load some up to shoot deer and such. Or maybe move onto the AB's in the same weight. Scotty

I have shot one bear with the federal loaded 210 PT, worked great! Smoked a few elk, a buck, and some African plains game with 225 AB, a cow elk with 225 tsx, another buck with a 200 ET, and my first bull with a 185 xlc. The 338 WM is a great choice! Most bullets will do you a great job. Pick the one that shoots good for you.

The 210 grain PT is a fine bullet for your 338 WM. Federal makes some excellent ammunition. Velocities are often higher than hand-loaders can generate. It would be a devastating load for most game. It will work quite well for moose and elk. When facing a grizzly, whilst there is no doubt that this load will work, I can tell you that more is almost always more comforting.

I too shoot 338 Win Mag, and love it!
My favourites are.....
210 NP
250 NP
225 swift a frame
225 tbbc
225 barnes.tsx
225 sst

They all shoot sub moa at 100yds...I love the 225 A Bond, but they don't group well outta my rifle....pick one that shoot the best out of your rifle, and you can't go wrong BTW, i don't reload, only shoot factory ammo...hope this helps.....Lou
They all hit hard

300RMEFshooter":197b60dc said:
I just got a Remington XCR II in 338 Win Mag and was wondering what ammo I should try? I'm thinking about giving the Federal 210 grain Nosler Partitions a try

If it likes those you're done! Look no further. My favorite bullet for the 338 Win.

I just ordered some of the new .338 200 gr AccuBond seconds at shooters pro shop and I'll be trying those along with the 210 gr TSXs. I'm trying for a deer/ hog load for california ( yeah I know our deer here aren't very big) and I like the 338 Win. caliber. I'll post the results.
Greg

just ordered some of the new .338 200 gr AccuBond seconds at shooters pro shop and I'll be trying those along with the 210 gr TSXs. I'm trying for a deer/ hog loa

Greg, with a 26" barrel and a still load of H4350, you can launch those 200gr AB over 3k.
That's not a deer load. That's a deer, antelope, pig, hog, elk, moose, bear, african plains game load.

On one those Kalifornia deer, make sure you take plenty of tags. You could probably take 3 in one shot.....the long way....

Now this is a thread I can use. I shoot the 210 Fed Partition out of mine and get great groups...for me anyway (~.8 MOA; yes ~ some lower; more higher).

I used the Winchester CT 200 grain Ballistic Tip to take a deer with it (and a rabbit). But I can't remember how it grouped :shock:

I like the way you guys put your favorite recipes down.

Reloading is my next phase.

killdeernow":zo86ytc8 said:
Now this is a thread I can use. I shoot the 210 Fed Partition out of mine and get great groups...for me anyway (~.8 MOA; yes ~ some lower; more higher).

I used the Winchester CT 200 grain Ballistic Tip to take a deer with it (and a rabbit). But I can't remember how it grouped :shock:

I like the way you guys put your favorite recipes down.

Reloading is my next phase.

killdeernow

Let us know when you are ready to start loading and we will help you get started.

JD338

Let us know when you are ready to start loading and we will help you get started.

Thanks, I'm going to take you guys up on that. I have a TON of questions. It seems the more I read, the questions outweigh the answers. This will probably happen in the next month or so...

See you over in the reloading forum,

The 338WM is a pretty easy cartridge to load for. Get some RL19 or either of the 4350's and I think you will be in business. I haven't really had to do much "work" with RL19, usually loads seem to be very accurate and fast also. scotty

I agree, RL 19 and IMR/H 4350 are top powder picks in the 338 Win Mag with the 200 gr ab or 210 gr PT.

JD338

Back