35 Remington Case trim length for Hornady 200gr. FTX

adm1977

Beginner
Feb 16, 2013
I inhertited a Remington 760 pump and an old Marlin " waffle top" from my uncle in 35 Remington. I picked up some Hornady 200 grain FTX bulltes for them. i was wondering if there is a certain case trim lenght on 35 Remingotn like there are on other cartridges when for load the FTX bullet? Their latest loading manual doesn't have anything in it about trimming shorter like the other cartridges. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2.540 is the coal for that bullet

No special trim notes

1.910 trim to length

1.920 is your max before needing to trim

Not sure on the FTX but on the Hornady 200 gr Spire Pt Standards, I recently have found out, the canulure won't even come close to letting me crimp in it; for my old 141 Remington. With cases trimed to 1.910 and crimped in canulure, the coal was 2.550/5, however that will NOT cycle thru this gun........ Had to push them down to 2.510/20 to get them to work! So can't use the canulure to crimp into without trimming a LOT off the necks...... So not sure if these bullets have the canulure in wrong position on the bullet? It's just profile of the nose? Or this gun has very short throat? Anyway the good part was that with 42gr of LVR and the 200gr Hornady it will send them 2350fps! So was really happy with those numbers, from 24" barrel.Screenshot_20230113-043116~2.png
Good Luck with your loading for the 35
E.

Factory Winchester Super X:
Cartridge: 35 Remington
Grain Weight200 Grains
Quantity20 Round
Muzzle Velocity2020 Feet Per Second
Muzzle Energy1812 Foot Pounds
Bullet StyleJacketed Soft Point
Bullet Brand And ModelWinchester Power-Point.

PS. Book says up to 46 gr, so if you want to see velocity's right at the heels of a .358W, try a can of H- LVR !
I don't think you will be disappointed!

Last edited:
35 Whelen, the canelure issue you ran into is because that 200 spire point was not intended for the 35 Remington, although a person can make about anything work when doing handloads.

The round noses on the other hand appear to be designed specifically for the 35 Rem, whether the Remington's, the Sierra's, or the Hornady's. Also the Speer 180 FP. What you will find with them is that when the bullet is seated within the parameters of the canelure, it is also at or real close to the base of the neck, and is within the max O.A.L. of 2.525. Also in my rifles when seated at that, the bullets are close to, or within reason of the lands.

On the flip side to load those RN's in my 35 Whelen I ended up seating below the canelure as far as I could without the neck being off the surface area of the bullet. Even at that the base of the bullet is still a good bit out the neck, and of course a mile off the lands. But it worked out at that, and is decently accurate.

Just was back on here and re-read my post. Sometimes my use of the English language isn't the best. I said on the 35 Whelen I seated below the canelure, the word I should've used was past the canelure. I guess you all can figure out what I mean most times. :unsure: :D

No special trim length as in shorter than normal trim length for the 35 Rem with Hornady 200FTX. As for the 200gr Spire Point I have loaded them just seated deeper account of my chamber has a short throat. No problem in my Rem 760, did not crimp. Was a onetime project that developed a good grouping load but did not try on a deer or do a jug test so don't know how it would expand at 35 Rem velocity. Do recommend the FTX as it performs well on whitetails. Dan.

The factory loads are 2.5025 that is what I've used so far. The empty cases are the same length as Rem or Win. Dan.

Okay, that's what I wondered. Not to disagree with you on your above post, I don't have your rifle so it very well may have a short throat, but in my opinion if you can load the FTX at that, or the Speer 180 FP to at least 2.470, or the 200 gr Rem RNCL to somewhere between 2.500-2.515, you're rifle isn't throated any shorter than my 3 in 35 Rem. But maybe you can't load them to that.

There's not much wiggle room between minimum and maximum on the 35. If my bullet length info is correct on that Hornady 200 spire point, it would be .210 below the neck when seated deep enough to function through the rifle. It can be made to work, but not really intended for the 35 Rem.

Okay, that's what I wondered. Not to disagree with you on your above post, I don't have your rifle so it very well may have a short throat, but in my opinion if you can load the FTX at that, or the Speer 180 FP to at least 2.470, or the 200 gr Rem RNCL to somewhere between 2.500-2.515, you're rifle isn't throated any shorter than my 3 in 35 Rem. But maybe you can't load them to that.

There's not much wiggle room between minimum and maximum on the 35. If my bullet length info is correct on that Hornady 200 spire point, it would be .210 below the neck when seated deep enough to function through the rifle. It can be made to work, but not really intended for the 35 Rem.
Well, my throat seems short to me. Maybe it's just as you said the nature of the cartridge in each rifle's chamber. I had a friend give me a few of those Hornady 200gr Spire PT to try in my 35 Rem. That was a different rifle than my current one and a long time ago so no records of what the col was or the load for that matter. Just don't remember. All I can say is it worked, grouped decent as I recall, and I didn't do anything else with it. The FTX bullet is supposed to be somewhat different. I have not sectioned one to compare with the 200gr SP so don't know if it's the same bullet with a soft plastic point nor compared lengths (be good thing to check out) but do know it opens up on deer nicely and I'm satisfied with the performance. Just my experience. Hope this might clarify my previous comment. Dan.

Well, my throat seems short to me. Maybe it's just as you said the nature of the cartridge in each rifle's chamber. I had a friend give me a few of those Hornady 200gr Spire PT to try in my 35 Rem. That was a different rifle than my current one and a long time ago so no records of what the col was or the load for that matter. Just don't remember. All I can say is it worked, grouped decent as I recall, and I didn't do anything else with it. The FTX bullet is supposed to be somewhat different. I have not sectioned one to compare with the 200gr SP so don't know if it's the same bullet with a soft plastic point nor compared lengths (be good thing to check out) but do know it opens up on deer nicely and I'm satisfied with the performance. Just my experience. Hope this might clarify my previous comment. Dan.

It could be short Dan, I don't know, but I do know those 35 Rem's are chambered such that there is not much room on them.......they seem to run them pretty tight, which I've found is not really an issue with most bullets.

The FTX from what I understand in my opinion is it's own animal and not a 200 Spire point with a rubber tip. But it would be interesting if you do get a chance to section the 2 and compare any differences. I've not used them, but most people I know that have, seem to like them.

When I get all my factory ftx ammo shot up I have couple hundred of these bullets to develop a load with. Might just go ahead and do it so it'll be ready when needed. Dan.

Thanks for clearing that issue up! That all makes sense for sure! One side of me wants to always lean towards higher BC bullets like the spire pt or FTX style. BUT: in reality, for the actual distances that are practical for a 35 Remington, 150 yds/ 200 as a streach??? I think it may be silly to worry at all about the trajectory difference between RN vs Spire Pt vs even flat nose bullets. And to double down on that theory, since my old 141 Rem will handle spire pointed bullets just fine it's really becoming a mute 🔕 point because it has a tang sight on it and I am NOT comfortable firing at a Buck anymore over 150yds with open sights.... So in closing: The loss of energy of the 35 Rem past 150yds and the failure of 65 year old eyes not wanting to focus on 3 things at once....
Has forced me to accept the fact that " it haint right to even try it".
Tnx guys for clearing that all up!
E

Someone can correct me if I am off base here...
But I seem to recall reading at some point in an article that while the Hornady bullets have a groove that most people refer to as the cannelure and think it is specific for use for the crimping point, that this was not the original intention of the groove...it had to do with the interlock design for controlling expansion of the bullet...sorry, I do not recall the source of this at this time...just the mention of this unconfirmed tidbit of information. There may have been mention as to the exact location of the groove on the bullet, but I do not recall at the moment. I mention this as it made me think about the crimp when I read the article.
And this is confirmed by the mention above of the cannelure not being in the proper position of a bullet for all the various cartridges it may be used in, and their respective COAL's, as this varies from cartridge to cartridge (and chamber to chamber). In this instance, for example, the 35 Rem, 356/358 Win, 35 Whelen, 350 Rem Mag, 358 Norma, 358 STW, etc.

35 Whelen, not to muddy the waters, but to make clear my opinion........I was referring to the Hornady 200 spire point only, not the FTX. The 200 Spire point can be made to work, so in that respect it is not wrong, but in my opinion it's length combined with the fact that a round nose or FP will more readily expand at the distances and typical speeds from a 35 Remington, makes it a little bit like trying to put a square peg in a round hole in my opinion. I wouldn't see the advantage, but if somebody wants to use it, it's not wrong.

The FTX according to both Hornady's description of why the bullet was designed and it's intended use, as well as the description of how it works on game by people like Nathan Foster, is a different animal. I wouldn't want to discourage you from using it. I don't because I'm using both the RN version of the Remington CL as well as the Speer 180 FP's and they've worked very well for me so I haven't seen the need to replace their use with a bullet I don't currently have.

35 Whelen I fully understand you limiting your shots using open-peep sights. Using a scope on my 35 Rem allows me to make somewhat longer shots if needed. So far the longest has been about 167yds and that was with the discontinued Hornady 180gr SSSP. Using the FTX bullets I wouldn't hesitate to go to 200yds. That's it for me with this caliber. Dan.

From Reloaddata.com

"Warning! Notes: max. case length: 1.920"; case trim length: 1.910"; bullet diameter: .358"; rifle: Marlin Model 336 SC; barrel: 20", 1 in 16" twist: case: Remington; primer: Federal 210; bullet: 200 GR. FTX; maximum COL: 2.525"; sectional density: .223; ballistic coefficient: .300; use maximum loads with extreme caution"

Back