.35 Whelen 225gr Sierra Gameking into Gel

Very nice mushroom! Can't much better than that!
I have really liked the performance of SGK on game over the years, in other calibers.

I am shooting HSM factory ammo, and handloading the same bullet in my 358 Win (LH custom Rem 700 with a 22" McGowan barrel).
The HSM ammo gets 2408 fps (.642" groups @ 100 yards), and my handload with CFE223 is getting 2528 fps (.720" groups @ 100 yards).
While I may not get as much penetration as the Whelen with its additional velocity, or quite the same expansion, it should still perform very well on bear, moose and elk too! Looking forward to taking game with it!
(My average shot distance on all game, in a wide variety of terrain, over the past 39 years is just 132 yards!)
 
Last edited:
That 225 SGK is THE bullet for me in the Whelen or the 358 for deer. It makes big, leaky holes. Nothing stumbles far.
I've shot my share of ammo and into testing media. This cartridge and bullet are by far one of the the most impressive Ive seen. I need to get some of the 225 Accubonds and test them, but it will be an uphill battle to beat this performance.
 
They won’t beat the 225 SGKs in expansion. Probably a better, heavier game bullet, maybe but for deer, the SGK is a beast.
 
Great test with the 225 SGK, thanks for sharing! That bullet shoots great in my 700 Classic 35 Whelen. I need to start using it to hunt WT deer.

JD338
 
I've shot my share of ammo and into testing media. This cartridge and bullet are by far one of the the most impressive Ive seen. I need to get some of the 225 Accubonds and test them, but it will be an uphill battle to beat this performance.
The nice thing with the AccuBonds is how easy they seem to find good loads for, and they are usually very accurate. And on-game performance has been great!
 
Last edited:
Classic performance of classic bullet. The 225 SGK is what I have loaded in my 35 Whelen. It does work on game here in the northern stretches of BC.
 
Back
Top