.35 Whelen 225gr Sierra Gameking into Gel

Very nice mushroom! Can't much better than that!
I have really liked the performance of SGK on game over the years, in other calibers.

I am shooting HSM factory ammo, and handloading the same bullet in my 358 Win (LH custom Rem 700 with a 22" McGowan barrel).
The HSM ammo gets 2408 fps (.642" groups @ 100 yards), and my handload with CFE223 is getting 2528 fps (.720" groups @ 100 yards).
While I may not get as much penetration as the Whelen with its additional velocity, or quite the same expansion, it should still perform very well on bear, moose and elk too! Looking forward to taking game with it!
(My average shot distance on all game, in a wide variety of terrain, over the past 39 years is just 132 yards!)
 
Last edited:
That 225 SGK is THE bullet for me in the Whelen or the 358 for deer. It makes big, leaky holes. Nothing stumbles far.
I've shot my share of ammo and into testing media. This cartridge and bullet are by far one of the the most impressive Ive seen. I need to get some of the 225 Accubonds and test them, but it will be an uphill battle to beat this performance.
 
I've shot my share of ammo and into testing media. This cartridge and bullet are by far one of the the most impressive Ive seen. I need to get some of the 225 Accubonds and test them, but it will be an uphill battle to beat this performance.
The nice thing with the AccuBonds is how easy they seem to find good loads for, and they are usually very accurate. And on-game performance has been great!
 
Last edited:
Your gel test mirrors mine in water jugs same distance approximately same speed. Scotty turned me onto this bullet, and it is everything he and others have said it would be on deer. Have tried other bullets but this is the one to come back to. Thanks for sharing.
 
One of the best 35 cal bullets for bear, deer and the like. Only shot one bear so far with them and it was great. It's been a while since I used the Whelen and have to get it out again soon.
 
Back
Top