35 Whelen Range Report

This rifle has always been a tack driver and it is a hammer on game.
This load really isn't that far off from a 338 WM factory load and from a 22" barrel.

JD338

Nice going Jim, cant ask for much more out of a 35 caliber rifle if you ask me.

35 whelan would be a fun round to play around with one of these years.

Jim that's a nice shooting, and looking rifle! Now Jim and Scotty you do realize why a 35 Whelen is such a great cartridge don't you? That's because it's made from a 30-06 case. Anything made from a 30-06 just HAS to be great! Nice job.

6mm Remington":1dsrv5v4 said:
Jim that's a nice shooting, and looking rifle! Now Jim and Scotty you do realize why a 35 Whelen is such a great cartridge don't you? That's because it's made from a 30-06 case. Anything made from a 30-06 just HAS to be great! Nice job.

Its funny you say that David. I like a bunch of the cartridges that are made from the 30-06. The 25-06, 6.5-06, 280, 338-06 and the 35 Whelen. I just can't see much the 30-06 can do the Whelen can't do just as well with a bigger bullet. I can run a 225gr PT or AB into 2750 which just mirrors the 30-06 and 180's trajectory. Granted lighter bullets in the 30-06 will be flatter but for me I think the Whelen really utilizes that 06 case te best it can be.

Granted it's not a long range rifle but trajectory is manageable out to 400 and is a pretty decent shot for me in most places. I don't think you would br disappointed at all with one. Mine is running 2675 with 250 PTs. My 338WM will only do about 2750 or so with my loads. I do like both cartridges a bunch but to me they are a toss up for my style of hunting. Scotty

In my elk hunting spot that is all I would need. During the last 10 years or so I think 123 yards is the record long shot! :p

FOTIS":1kqbslzm said:
In my elk hunting spot that is all I would need. During the last 10 years or so I think 123 yards is the record long shot! :p

Fotis I was just wondering what a GREEK elk looks like anyway? :mrgreen:

6mm Remington":2z6gty13 said:
FOTIS":2z6gty13 said:

Fotis I was just wondering what a GREEK elk looks like anyway? :mrgreen:

David,

Like this........ :grin:
JD5PtElk2002.jpg

JD338

Scott Spencer":trwhywou said:
That 59 gr looks like a very nice load with the 250 PT, Jim!

Scott,

I think the 59.5 gr load is better, look at the MV of 2581 fps ES of 8 and SD of 4. I dropped the 2nd shot which opened up the group. I am going to re shoot 59.5 grs and am confident this is going to be the load for the 250 gr PT.

Consider this....
MV 2581 ME 3698
With a 200 yd zero...
100 yds +2.3"
300 yds -9.5"
400 yds -27.6"

This would make for a dandy dark timber elk rifle wih some reach.

JD338

Jim - nice shooting...you are right about 59.5 being a better choice IMO. Now if you and Scotty can just find something that bullet won't bounce off... :mrgreen:

257 Ackley":1mv0e1uu said:
Jim - nice shooting...you are right about 59.5 being a better choice IMO. Now if you and Scotty can just find something that bullet won't bounce off... :mrgreen:

I have a feeling the only thing bouncing will be moose bouncing off the ground! Scotty

beretzs":1zqys1ue said:
257 Ackley":1zqys1ue said:

I have a feeling the only thing bouncing will be moose bouncing off the ground! Scotty

Dang, beat me to it!

Bruce Mc":8j74dmlm said:
JD, you're killing me here. I've still got that .270 Rem 700 sitting in the closet waiting for a rebarrel and you continue to post good stuff on that Whelen. And brag about all them deers that ya shot with it. Do you get a commission on guns chambered for 35 Whelen?

What are you waiting for, Bruce? I think JD may be getting a nickel on every .35 Whelen reamer made, but don't you think it's a nickel earned? I think the .35's versatility is hard to beat.

I think I've only fired 10 rounds out of my .35W the last two years. I've been to Arkansas for bear the last two seasons but have seen no fur whatsoever. Maybe this year will be different. I know my Whelen will speak indisputable truth when I get the opportunity to let her talk! Nonetheless, I have a much better shooting setup now than I did when I did my load development a couple of years back. Maybe I need to go play some more.

Your results got me stirred up, JD. Nice groups!

Whelen Thoughts:

With my 35 Whelen I feel like the Maytag repair man, it works so well Why would I look at another gun! :mrgreen:

For anyone that likes to throw lead come deer season, the 35 Whelen is not for you. You will be disappointed, it only takes one shot! 8)

It will cheat you out of trailing your deer after the shot, for those who like to follow blood trails.
Most efficient cartridge out there, one shot and done, saves ammo year round, one box could last 20-years. Having a Whelen is like being in a storm, when lightning strikes its all over.

Bullet selection may not be great, but who cares, lets see the 225 or the 250, Mmmm, can't argue with Dead. :)

Don

I'm pretty happy with Nosler's selection of 35 cal bullets. I do think a higher BCed 200gr AB would be nice to round out the Whelen. I would think 2900FPS would be entirely within it's reach and man out to 400 yards would be a sweet shooter. Right now I'm in bliss over the speed and accuracy of the 250gr PT. No real need to look anywhere else. Scotty

beretz,
I would agree with you there on Nosler presenting a 200 grainer.

Don

Ya'll sure twistin my arm here. I guess all I need to do is work a couple of extra jobs and its done. Any ya'll ever have any business with E.R. Shaw barrels. They're not to expensive.

If that barrel is out of Pennsylvania I got one on my 300 Ultra Mag, good shooting barrel.

Don

I am confident that if Nosler were to offer a 200 gr AB Protected Point for the 350 RM, 358 Win and the like, a lot of 35 Whelen fans would follow suite. Actually, with the 225 gr PT, you really don't need a 200 gr bullet. I have shot enough deet to know that the 225 gr PT is wicked on white tails.
Here is the 35 Whelen with the 225 gr AB as well as a 250 gr PT that were recovered from water jugs at 100 yds.
35WHELEN225GRAB.jpg

This photo shows the 35 Whelen with the 225 gr PT, 225 gr BT and the 250 gr PT.
35WhelenBulletExpansion.jpg

JD338

Back