35 Whelen Range Report

I loaded some 158 gr. JHPs once in my Whelen. They shot pretty well, too. Never shot them AT anything, though.

BK":251mck57 said:
I loaded some 158 gr. JHPs once in my Whelen. They shot pretty well, too. Never shot them AT anything, though.

Them there would be varmint bullets. :mrgreen:

JD338

Yeah, I was kinda interested in what they would do to a coyote.

The lightest bullet I have shot out of the Whelen is 225's. Never messed with anything lighter. Might be something to goof around with someday. I would think a 200gr bullet at 2900 would be pretty sweet. Maybe something like a 200gr FTX or if Nosler would pony up a 200gr AB that would be pretty sweet as well. Scotty

I shot some of the Remington factory 200s once. Mostly just at paper, but I did manage to shoot a rabbit with one. Not really very impressive, to tell the truth. Unless it's a tipped, boat-tail monometal, the BC isn't gonna be very good, I would think.

BK":1w8095mc said:
I shot some of the Remington factory 200s once. Mostly just at paper, but I did manage to shoot a rabbit with one. Not really very impressive, to tell the truth. Unless it's a tipped, boat-tail monometal, the BC isn't gonna be very good, I would think.

Those factory 200gr CL's as loaded by Remington are lame ducks in my book. I wasn't very impressed with them either Kurt. Now a 200gr AB, that would be something I could wrap my head around! Scotty

I used the factory 200 gr PSPCL loads the first two years I had my 35 Whelen. The first year, 1988, I shot two bucks and I recovered both bullets! I switched to the 225 gr PT in 1990 when Nosler introduced this bullet and never looked back.

JD338

Back