35 Whelen Range Report

Now, a 200 grain AB for my 350 RM and for my 358 Win would be just fine. Yes, I'll keep my 35 Whelen, but I'm not likely to give up these others anytime soon.

JD what's the velocity on those? They sure mushroomed and performed nicely it appears to me. When you hit them at 100 yards with the Whelen magnum do they blow a couple jugs up and knock some others down? Nice pictures, and what water gallon jug were they recovered in?

6mm Remington":camk13ye said:
JD what's the velocity on those? They sure mushroomed and performed nicely it appears to me. When you hit them at 100 yards with the Whelen magnum do they blow a couple jugs up and knock some others down? Nice pictures, and what water gallon jug were they recovered in?

David,

Those were shot quite a few years ago and I don't remember how many jugs but I would guess the 225 gr bullets were 6-7 jugs abd the 250 gr would be 7-8 jugs. I am thinking the 225 gr bullets were around 2600 fps and the 250 gr was around 2450 fps.

JD338

All this .35 talk is making me remember an article that I read about a guy that necked up a 338 WM to a .35. I don't remember any of the numbers off the top of my head but I do remember being impressed! You guys are getting those whelens so close to 338 WM levels its scaring me a bit :shock:

jmad_81":2e2vj4c0 said:
All this .35 talk is making me remember an article that I read about a guy that necked up a 338 WM to a .35. I don't remember any of the numbers off the top of my head but I do remember being impressed! You guys are getting those whelens so close to 338 WM levels its scaring me a bit :shock:

The 35/338 WM is very very close to the 358 Norma Mag. A real power house for sure.

JD338

JD338":3q4l8e1i said:
jmad_81":3q4l8e1i said:

The 35/338 WM is very very close to the 358 Norma Mag. A real power house for sure.

JD338

I'm thinking the same thing Jake. My 338WM does 250's at around 2750. The Whelen does them at 2675. 225's are about the same spread. I do think a big 35 magnum would be the ultimate big game rifle. Especially with that 250gr PT at 2800-2900. That would make me a happy hunter. Scotty

I confirmed a 200 yd zero with the 35 Whelen and the 250 gr PT this past week with efw. I then sent a few at 300 yds. This load is definatly an elk hammer! Shots 1,2,& 3 were the 250 gr PT and went 3.167". Shots 4 & 5 were with the Hornady 250 gr Interlock. Shot 6 was the 280 AI.
JDPictures056.jpg

JD338

Jim, those PT's are shooting really well buddy! I am glad that load worked out well for you as well. Again, RL15 and the Whelen has clicked. Plus, you are getting nearly 2600 out of them! What a load. I am looking forward to hunting with this rifle this year. It is amazing to me that seem to think PT's aren't as accurate as other bullets. Just haven't found this to be the case. They have been some of the most accurate bullets I have shot. Scotty

Jim,

I'm envious, and anxious to get my Whelen back. That load with the PTs is excellent.

DrMike":3rabooc7 said:
Jim,

I'm envious, and anxious to get my Whelen back. That load with the PTs is excellent.

Mike,

Your 35 Whelen load development will be a slam dunk. Work up to 59.0-60.0 grs and you are there.
Also, this load has a 200 yd zero and with the scope set at 8x, I used yhr top of the duplex post for a 300 yd reference.
It would just take a little fiddeling and 400 yd hits would be easy. A B&C retille would be perfect.

JD338

My Whelen is wearing a Kahles 3-9 X 42 with a TDS reticle. It is getting a Hart barrel 12 twist screwed on. I think I'll be happier than what I had. I may yet have to pillar bed it, but I'm starting here.

DrMike":1cftt9wu said:
My Whelen is wearing a Kahles 3-9 X 42 with a TDS reticle. It is getting a Hart barrel 12 twist screwed on. I think I'll be happier than what I had. I may yet have to pillar bed it, but I'm starting here.

Mike,

My M700 Classic has a 1:16 twist 22" barrel. I think the 1:12 will be great but I am not sure where pressures will be.

JD338

Jim,

I had such poor success with the 16 twist on the Ruger that I opted for a new barrel. I have the option of going to either a 14 twist Pac-Nor or the 12 twist Hart. I opted for the 12 twist. As soon as I get it back, I'll give a report on it.

Mike,

I love my Hart barrel (280AI) and I am confident that yours will be a shooter.
I am looking forward to you getting her back and developing loads. What is the time frame for completion?

JD338

Jim,

I don't know! The boys are running behind from the volume of work. I'm hoping that I'll have it by this fall, but no guarantee.

JD338":15n091sy said:
DrMike":15n091sy said:

Mike,

My M700 Classic has a 1:16 twist 22" barrel. I think the 1:12 will be great but I am not sure where pressures will be.

JD338

I think my CDL is a 1-16 Twist as well, but if it were a 1-12 twist, I wouldn't complain either. Just a little more versatile. Hard telling what it will do until you get it back. I would think it would work really well with the 250-275gr'er type bullets.

Yeah, like Jim said, 59-60gr of RL15 is pretty awesome for performance. I am looking forward to you getting your rifle back Mike. Scotty

My Whelen has a 1-16" twist, and it shot pretty well with some of the old Barnes Original .275gr. bullets. Me, on the other had, found them to be a little obnoxious to shoot, compared to 250s.

I bet they would be something powerful though. Can't imagine a 280gr Swift A-Frame not slowing something down in a hurry. I know the 275gr 338 cal Speers went through 9 jugs and layed in the bottom of the 10th when I tried them out of my 338WM. They were only going about 2650, so they weren't exactly breaking land speed records either. Scotty

I have a very interesting article on the 358 Norma Mag. Made me almost go out and purchase one.

Especially the part where he is shooting 357 mag bullets at 3400 fps at crows! :mrgreen:

hyper.gif

514uYreSQkL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Great book if you do not have tt!

Back