Beginner
Oct 27, 2013
Gentlemen,
To help me make a decision on this Whelen
I need some input on barrel lengths, contours and twist rates
[200-250gr bullets] as I am leaning toward rebarreling
a donor 700 barreled action. Also looking at Pac Nor for the
barrel and job. Any help would be appreciated, Skid

A 22 inch barrel is sufficient for the 35 Whelen. You only gain 50-60 fps with an additional two inches. With 200 to 250 grain bullets, a 14 twist is sufficient. If you ever anticipate shooting some of the heavier bullets from Woodleigh or Swift, you may want to go to a 12 twist, but a fourteen will work just fine. A sixteen twist works for 200 to 225 grain bullets, and if the Remington Classic is any indication, a 16 twist works. My preference is a 12 or 14 twist. I would recommend a contour to match the stock. This is not likely a rifle that you will use for prairie dogs, so a light, whippy barrel will work; but you may find that a little additional weight is comfortable. PacNor makes a fine product; I have their barrels on a couple of my rifles and they serve me quite well. Sounds as if you are looking at a great rifle.

Kinda depends on what stock you are going to use... If the standard Remington ADL BDL CDL type, I would match the factory Sporter contour @ 23", just because I like a little bit longer barrel. Lighter stocks will obviously call for a lighter contour.

I have the Remington M700 CDL in 35 Whelen. Rifle is about as perfect a set up as I could build. Not sure of the contour or taper, but I would think a #2 or 3 would be about all I would want. A good stock designed to take some recoil would be a must as well.

I am with Mike and would stick with a 1-12 twist. It'll handle everything you can throw at it. I have a 16 twist on mine and it does great with 250 PT's but if I were building, I'd wanna do it right the first time thru.

Good luck, sounds like a great build. 22,23,24" would all be the same to me in the Whelen. None of them gain/lose anything over the other.

I have a M700 Classic in 35 Whelen. The barrel is 22" and the 1:16 twist shoots 200 -250 gr bullets under MOA. The 250 gr bullets are at 2572 fps.
For a new build, I would recommend a 1: 12 twist 24" barrel in a #3 contour. Should make for a sweet handling rifle with plenty of speed and power for elk up to 400 yds.

JD338

When I did mine I went with a #3 contour 1-14 @23". Very happy with it. Either 1-12 or 1-14 will do

The 1 in 16 twist factory guns shoot very well on average with bullets up to 250 gr or so, if rebarreling a gun there is no downside to going with a 1 in 14 or 1 in 12 twist. I wanted the option of using the 310 gr Woodleigh so I went with the 1 in 12 because of that, it still shoots the 200 gr AccuBond and TTSX very well. I have had both 22 and 24 " barrels and both have been good, I like a #3 or #4 contour.

The specs on mine:
Rem 700 SPS action
Benchmark stainless barrel that is a copy of a Pac Nor #4. We cut the shank short so the big taper starts .250" ahead of the recoil lug.
McMillan Edge stock
Leupold 6x36 in Burris Zee Rings

Weight is 7 lbs 4 oz scoped on a proper kitchen scale, You can see pics here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20438

Anyone know what the groove diameter is on the Remington 700's in this caliber? I'm going to order a mould and you're asked to specify the "body diameter" which I assume should be about .360" to accommodate what I think to be the .358" groove diameter of the rifle but not sure. That would cause me to only have to size the bullets .002".

I have a RMR custom made 35 Whelen :). Here are the specs:
#4 contour PacNor SSM 24" barrel with a 1-14 twist.
A Defaince left hand action with a H&S detachable clip system it has a Timney trigger set @ 3lbs.
It is aluminum bedded on a McMillan Hunter stock.
I have just changed the glass on top from a Leica to a Zeiss Davarie 3-9X36 8)!
I am a one bullet type of guy & I think I have settled on using a 225gr. AccuBond over top of 59.5grs. of RL-15 using Remington brass & Federal 210M primers.
I have Chronied this load at 2740fps or very close to that :mrgreen:. I have a .5moa or better if I do my part!!

Blessings,
Dan

skidmark":1jaqet1v said:
I'm Goofy now...
Looking at a new Cooper 52.....
Somebody stop me... :(

This crowd? Stop someone from buying a rifle? Surely you jest! Which model you looking at? :grin:

My M70 Whelen has a 1:12 twist. Here's one of yesterday's groups at 200 yards with 250gr HotCor's....

IMG_2679_zps2f6e3621.jpg

The shot out to the right is me...I duffed that one. The next three shot the group. That measured 1.7". The next group went 2.4" with me pulling one a hair right again. Average for 6 shots, 2 groups, was just over 2" at 200 yards, moving a 250HC at 2525-2550.

Not bad...

:)

...I hate those called flyers, not as bad as the "uncalled" ones, but I still hate 'em... :oops: :roll: :lol: :mrgreen:

I normally struggle to write off flyers, but then it gave me this for the next group:

IMG_2680_zpse2c0e5c5.jpg

Shot #1 was in the dot, and I was sloppy and popped off the rifle too fast to get to the spotter to look for the hit. Like I wouldn't see a 358 hole in a Swaro at 10x.... :roll:

:lol:

I minded my p's and q's for the next two and they went where they should.

I feel pretty good about that rifle. A few clicks right, maybe a small elevation change (I like a 200 yard zero), and she's ready to hunt.

DrMike":1f1d2po9 said:
skidmark":1f1d2po9 said:
I'm Goofy now...
Looking at a new Cooper 52.....
Somebody stop me... :(

This crowd? Stop someone from buying a rifle? Surely you jest! Which model you looking at? :grin:
Model 52 Jackson Hunter...
.35 Whelen.
I'm losing my mind. :shock:

Skidmark, I have not seen a Cooper rifles in these parts. But I have read good things about them. What is the twist or can you order that, also wondering what the cost difference is? I am not sure if I mentioned it in my earlier post, if was to do it again I would likely have gone with 1-12 instead of the 1-14. It likely would not make any difference in what I shoot out of her but if was going to go big I know then it would be stable :wink:.

PS. Sorry I believe I am being too nosy, price is not a factor when it comes to a new rifle :lol:!!

Blessings,
Dan

The Jackson Hunter is a handsome rifle. I'm slowly forgiving Cooper rifles after the founder supported Obama way back during his first run. I'm trying not to hold a grudge, and the product is superb.

Back