350 rem mag ?

mike7mm08

Beginner
Aug 5, 2005
I recently purchased a ruger 77 mark IIallweather in 350 mag. I am getting around to reloading for it and have a few questions. I got this rifle to deliver alot power to any unfortunate big ugly nasty want to kill you type of critter I point it at. Don't have a need for all that power right now but I liek to know that it is there. I know the partitions will do just that. I was wondering if anyone has used the ballistic tips in this cartridge. I am a bit shy about them after the last deer I shot with my 7mm08. I will spare you the details but it was ugly to say the least. I would like to know if the 35 cal ballistic tip is as expolsive as the smaller calibers. I am an accuracy nut and know the BT will give me that but I want as much performance across the board as possible. I will be loading these as hot as possible, the mag and chamber of the rifle is based on the WSM rugers so I can strech oal to about 2.860 or maybe a fuzz more.The chamber will take up to 2.920 but I need to make up some dummies to see what will cycle through the mag. Plus it is a ruger I don't think pressure is going to be an issue. Also has anyone heard if there will be accubonds offered in 358. I used 160 grain in my 7mm08 for buffalo and was very very impressed . With the buffalo that is. The bullets performed flawlessly, it just took way more performances than I thought any animal could take to the head. One of the reasons for buying the 350. Thanks for any advice you can give.

The .350 gives performance on par with the .35 Whelen, so Whelen shooters should be able to answer the question about the BTip performance. For large dangerous game these bullets are not the best choice.

Why on earth are you loading them "as hot as possible"? This is a typical newbie mistake and with dangerous game can get you into trouble for no perceptable gain. True, the gun can take it, but hot loads can mean sticky case extraction with the potential to tie up the action for a few seconds. Not a good idea with dangerous game, believe me - I've faced charging brown bear on Kodiak Island more than once, and you want your rifle to function. An extra 100 fps is silly and not needed - you give up too much. This is a potent and reliable cartridge at factory pressure levels - don't screw up before you even get to the woods by sabotaging your rifle's reliability.

I'm a proud owner of a M77 7mmremmag that is 26 years old and shooting strong. Hope that yours is as accurate and lasts as long or longer.

My experince with the ballistic tips on game is equally as ugly as what I imagine yours to have been. I agree, I went with BT's for their potential accuracy, particularly down range. It's also nice the the polyurethane (or whatever it is) tip resists deformation in the magazine from recoil. My PT's and SB's in the magazine always turned into flat tips after the first shot. May or may not negatively affect accuracy. I don't really know.

I am now a BIG fan of accubonds for all of the above reasons plus the fact that they seem to be performing as well as the PT's on game. All in all, I'd recommend bullets in this order:

AB's
PT's
SB's

Regards,
jd

I am no newbie when it comes to reloading. I want to get as much as possible out of this cartridge. If I encounter problems with feeding I will back it down. I bought this rifle to hunt multiple types of game with. I want the ability to use this on bigger game to whatever extent is resonable. I like to get as much use out of one gun as possible, instead of using different calibers for everything I hunt. Which is way I reload as well. I have many times pushed the limits with various cartridges and know what to look for as far as problems. It seems in reloading as with other things in life,you sometimes have to push the limits a bit to get the most out of it.

I would not use 225 bt on anything other than deer. Use the Partition and you will be happy. I have found 225 BT in my whelen at speeds of 2600-2700 expand very quickly

mike,

The 225 gr BT is of a more robust design that the sub 30 cal BT's. Although I have not used the 225 gr BT on game, I would think that it would be a great bullet for deer.
I have used the 225 gr PT in my 35 Whelen with excellent results on many WT Deer and Black Bear. Always a nice exit hole with little meat damage. Only had to blood trail a couple deer, they were short and heavy.

Regards,

JD338

Have you ever shot a deer with a ballistic tip. It is not pretty if you have to follow a deer you don't have a blood trail it is more of a meat trail. I have heard that the 35 is designed like the sub 30 BTs. Which is way the bullet is labeled for whelen so you are not shooting it in high velocity magnums. I don't know for certain maybe nosler can shed some light on this for us. Thanks all for the advice. I am starting out with loads useing a 225 sierra. It has been a good performer in other rifles. I need some stronger advice before I will switch to the ballictic tips and for the average deer a partion is not needed when you hit them with a 350 mag.

We beefed up the jacket on Ballistic Tips for the bullets over 30 cal and they would be fine for deer, elk, and bear in a 35 Whelen. We also perform gelatin tests on our bullets to see how they stand up. We stress the bullets in our tests and have had great results. Also the 35 Whelen BT was labeled such due to the length of the bullet. It is too long for the 350 Rem Mag cartridge so when it is properly seated it will be too long for the magazine. The jacket is beefed up on the 35 Whelen 225 BT is strength is not the issue when loading for your 350 Rem Mag, bullet length is. So go with the 225 Partition in your 350 Rem Mag. It's a great bullet and will fit your needs quite well.

I have a longer chamber and mag than a typical 350 so I might give the BTs a try. I am able to comfortablely load out to an oal of about 2.860. Do you think this would work out okay with the BTs? If not I know the partitions will get the job done. I will have to see what is accurate in this particular rifle.

Back