.360 Buckhammer

More importantly is the fact that the case is 1.800" which is the restriction in many states for straight wall cartridges.

JD338
I was just shooting my friends 35 Remington 81. Nice heavy 200 grain bullets, it makes a good thunk against the target and even without the butt plate padding was fun to shoot. Those same bullets will be available in the BH and go about the same speed. Also one could use pistol bullets for plinking and cast bullets would work well too. I could see a light single shot in 360BH being fun for armed hiking during deer season.

More importantly is the fact that the case is 1.800" which is the restriction in many states for straight wall cartridges.

JD338
1.8” straight wall, nah. I would be reaching for my inline ML instead.

At the risk of being redundant, due to the aforementioned other thread, I think I might get my old Savage 340 re-cut for this. Though the magazine might not feed properly, now that I think of it. Anyway, I think it would be a nice platform for my 180 grain Hot Cors and completely not so awesome for 35 Whelen 200 grain FTX. Mostly, it's because I want a 35 cal for the wife, and the 340 had the stock cut down for me as a kid.

So, I got my Henry in 360 BH. Only factory ammo I could find for it right now was 200gr Remington CoreLokt round nose. I put a few down the pipe to get it dialed in, but I could only get 2-3" groups at 100 yards. I'm pretty sure I can improve on that by loading my own.

And that brings me to a question: Since the 360 is based on the 30-30 case, should I be able to just resize the 30-30 into the 360? I've not done much with that kind of thing before. As you can imagine, actual new 360 brass is unobtainium right now.

Here's a pretty good article by John Snow re the 360 Buckhammer cartridge and the Henry rifle.

An interesting comparison he makes is that it's slightly more powerful than the much respected 35 Remington... And legal in straight-wall states.

Regards, Guy

According to the article Guy posted it’s parent case is the 30-30. I would take once fired 30-30 anneal it and expand in 2 steps , .338 then .358.
Should get you what you need.

According to the article Guy posted it’s parent case is the 30-30. I would take once fired 30-30 anneal it and expand in 2 steps , .338 then .358.
Should get you what you need.
What about sizing the body down and then fire-forming it somehow, to at least get it close enough to size the neck correctly?

What about sizing the body down and then fire-forming it somehow, to at least get it close enough to size the neck correctly?
I've heard good things about cream of wheat and Bullseye. I have no experience with it, however, and cannot vouch.

So....if I understood Ron Spomer correctly, the 350 Legend and I assume the other straight wall cartridges head space off the case mouth. Ron Maintains that this will limit its use as a reloadable cartridge. What am I missing? 45 ACP work that way dont they? Maybe I just missed the point some where?

Not to high jack a thread- but if the ammo makers have found a way to make a cartridge we cant reload, they have us again. Reportedly its been in the works to legalize straight walls for deer in MN for for years, but the legislature hasnt made it a priority....
I dont see why straight wall cartridges any "Safer" than anything else. 30-30 and 350 legend are ballistic twins at 100. and a 12 guage slug will bounce for a long ways- ask me how I know. IMHO Another attempt to Make money on something rather than expecting people to use the thing between there ears for safety. OK kick the soap box out from under me. CL

Can't see why you couldn't neck up and trim 30-30 brass in a pinch. Don't need a short straight wall round here like in some of the states but I do like the round regardless. Could see a nice 360 Buckhammer single shot in my future. Love the 35's and am a sucker for single shot rifles, even have the perfect scope already, a Burris 2-7x35 FFII. I never got on the 350 Legend bandwagon since it isn't a true 358 cal, but this shoots 357 and 358 and is interesting. Got a bunch of Speer 180 FN's that would be awesome in it.

Can't see why you couldn't neck up and trim 30-30 brass in a pinch. Don't need a short straight wall round here like in some of the states but I do like the round regardless. Could see a nice 360 Buckhammer single shot in my future. Love the 35's and am a sucker for single shot rifles, even have the perfect scope already, a Burris 2-7x35 FFII. I never got on the 350 Legend bandwagon since it isn't a true 358 cal, but this shoots 357 and 358 and is interesting. Got a bunch of Speer 180 FN's that would be awesome in it.
That Speer bullet is what I'm going to load in it when I get to that point. I've heard good things.

I was thinking the same way about necking up, but a number of folks have said it's not that easy. I'm not the expert in that regard, for sure.

That Speer bullet is what I'm going to load in it when I get to that point. I've heard good things.

I was thinking the same way about necking up, but a number of folks have said it's not that easy. I'm not the expert in that regard, for sure.
Might need to anneal them but it should be doable.

So, I got my Henry in 360 BH. Only factory ammo I could find for it right now was 200gr Remington CoreLokt round nose. I put a few down the pipe to get it dialed in, but I could only get 2-3" groups at 100 yards. I'm pretty sure I can improve on that by loading my own.

And that brings me to a question: Since the 360 is based on the 30-30 case, should I be able to just resize the 30-30 into the 360? I've not done much with that kind of thing before. As you can imagine, actual new 360 brass is unobtainium right now.
Good luck with it, hope you keep us up to date. Cool round and those Henry's sure are nice.

Well call me old fashion and not trying to rain on this parade but I still like the 35 Rem. The big seller of this 360BH is the straight wall requirement of some states. I don't have a problem with that but do wonder how a straight wall comes into play when a bottleneck case as the 35 Rem is doing the same thing. As for making 360s out of a 30-30 try it. If they can you should be able to following the good advice given above. Dan.

Back