.38 +P 129 gr Federal Hydra-Shock

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Federal's Hydra-Shock was once considered some of the very best self-defense handgun ammo available. It still provides admirable performance. Today I tested it at 48 degrees, from my 2.5" barreled S&W Model 19 revolver, at 10 yards:

It's nice when the target says "Thank You"
IMG_5221.jpg

Muzzle velocity was 882 fps, and the bullet was recovered from the 3rd jug, which is about average for rapid-expanding self-defense type ammo from several different calibers. Retained weight is 124 grains, and the bullet measures about .63" dia demonstrating very good expansion. The Hydra-Shock bullet is distinctive - even after expansion:

IMG_5228.jpg

IMG_5232.jpg

As you might imagine, a mere 129 grain bullet at about 900 fps is very easy shooting, and contributes greatly to shooter accuracy. I find that I can do very well with this ammo in rapid fire practice.

Guy, I got the jugs saved up, now to get time to go home and test the bullets I made for the .44 Mag. The bullet is a Elmer design. I run them hard and hot.

I buy my milk in cartons and just don't drink that much. Man, my testing is going to leave something to be desired.

Too Tall, Keith's 250 gr hard cast from a .44 mag isn't going to expand much, but you're going to need a LOT of milk jugs lined up to stop it...

Dr. Mike - you're forgiven - you keep showing us how bullets work on Big northern game! That's better than milk jugs any day!

Guy,

Looks to be a good load for self defense.

Guy Miner":285o2rst said:
Too Tall, Keith's 250 gr hard cast from a .44 mag isn't going to expand much, but you're going to need a LOT of milk jugs lined up to stop it...

Too Tall,

I would not be surprised if that bullets goes through 12 jugs!
Got milk? :mrgreen:

JD338

And polite jugs! We don't have such things in the Great White North. :shock:

Great test Guy. Those 357 bullets look pretty good. It isn't hard to figure out why they were so popular.

Back