400 Whelen

Good stuff Roger.
A 400 Whelen is off the "cool factor" chart.

JD338

I wonder if anyone has ever used the 240 Wby case? You could head space off the belt and eliminate the head space problem. And of course, having a belt would make it a magnum. :)

JD338

I've given a lot of thought to a 400 Whelen, or a 375 Whelen, too. The friendly neighborhood rifle cranky from Virginia has talked it up enough that it's on my list of rifles to build if/when I run across the right donor at the right price.

Quite an article. Glad I took the time to read Parts 1 & 2, and Thank You for posting this.

Always something new to learn.

Guy

DrMike I have thought about itfor sure. Getting the proper brass and reamers to do it right is a problem and finding some one who understands that it needs to be .458 at the shoulders and not .411. That is where the head space problems comes into play.

Tom I have a M70 just waiting for something to come along. :lol:

Jim if you keep the shoulder diameter to .458 there are no problems with head space and use brass that is sized to that diameter only. So many people from what I read want to use the standard .411 diameter shoulder and that causes head space problems. By getting cylindrical 30-06 brass and running it threw the correct sizing die with the .458 shoulder there are no problems the problems show up when you take 35 Whelen brass and try to fire form it with the .411 shoulder in the chamber cut for a case with the .458 shoulder. The link that I provided explains this as one of Whelen's secrets.

Guy Miner":3grqt72h said:
Quite an article. Glad I took the time to read Parts 1 & 2, and Thank You for posting this.

Always something new to learn.

Guy
Your welcome Guy glad you liked it, I couldn't stop once I started reading it.

If there was more of a bullet selection for it I would be very tempted. Probably a 375 Whelen would be more practical.

A 375 Whelen would be very cool. And a nice selection of bullets to choose from. The 375 260 gr AB would be a dandy choice. ;)

Rob Canze at Williams Gun Sight in Davison, MI (810-653-2131) is your man.

JD338

Have to say the 400 Whelen is pretty cool and I do believe you can load 41 Magnum bullets for practice just like the 35 Whelen does with the 357 Magnum bullets. It appears between Hornady, Woodleigh and Barnes they offer good bullets for hunting so there mat be more options than you think.

gerry":3hb647dt said:
Have to say the 400 Whelen is pretty cool and I do believe you can load 41 Magnum bullets for practice just like the 35 Whelen does with the 357 Magnum bullets. It appears between Hornady, Woodleigh and Barnes they offer good bullets for hunting so there mat be more options than you think.
As I was reading the article I was thinking the same thing.
I'm shooting a .41 Magnum now so I'll have to keep the .400 Whelen in mind.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Really nice article! I was just offered a 375 Whelen in trade for a rifle I'm selling. Thinking about it..........
Scott

Vince":2lqwhe0w said:
gerry":2lqwhe0w said:
As I was reading the article I was thinking the same thing.
I'm shooting a .41 Magnum now so I'll have to keep the .400 Whelen in mind.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I also have a 41 Mag. Hmmm......

gerry":37g9mkq1 said:

Same idea here. More than enough to hunt with. Could always swage bulletsas well. Plenty of options.

Build it, they will come :grin:

Great caliber, recoil is more of a push then a kick, Hawk makes good bullets, also swift makes bullets in .410 diameter

Back