.416 Rigby

dchamp

Beginner
Oct 9, 2010
Hey guys I ordered and bought a CZ550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby in 2012 with their kevlar stock but I'm not real happy with it. I don't want to sound like a winer but It's only 9 lbs instead of the 9.9 lbs advertised, its balance is off, the action is real ruff and while it is accurate the bore scared the heck out of me the first time I looked at it with my borescope. While I plan on keeping and working with this gun I've been giving some thought about buying another rifle in .416 Rigby as I do like the cartridge. I've thought about Montana Rifle Co.'s Dangerous Game Rifle but don't have any experience with them. Does anyone have any suggestions on a new .416 Rigby that weighs around 10 lbs and won't break the bank?

I do not have any experience with the Montana Dangerous Game Rifle, I have heard from one person who has one that was really happy with it. I am surprised, because a couple of guys I know that have the same rifle as yours, are happy with their CZ's. But like any manufactured product, it is not unusual to find one that isn't all it's supposed to be.
Not sure of any other rifle makers that make a 416 Rigby with a Kevlar stock. But you do have an action that could be cleaned up by a good gunsmith, install a new barrel, and could add weight to your existing stock to add to its weight and improve its balance, or put on a new after market Kevlar stock and provide you with the rifle that you are looking for. And it wouldn't have to break the bank (but that would depend on the gunsmith and their rates and/or any other embellishments that you may add), and at the same time the gun could be made to fit you. This can help with recoil and increase the pleasure you take in using the rifle and any game that you wish to harvest with it.

Gil has a great point. It's a solid action and if you like it, might be worth tweaking it a little for your uses.

I would imagine a heavier 416 Rigby would be a good thing.

Well, "breaking the bank" is kind of relative but Rigbys aren't exactly the easiest thing to find.

If you can locate a Ruger Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby they are built heavy and mine was a reasonably decent rifle. The used market isn't exactly full of them but they turn up pretty regularly and are often only fired a handful of times.

dchamp":1htbggum said:
Hey guys I ordered and bought a CZ550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby in 2012 with their kevlar stock but I'm not real happy with it. I don't want to sound like a winer but It's only 9 lbs instead of the 9.9 lbs advertised, its balance is off, the action is real ruff and while it is accurate the bore scared the heck out of me the first time I looked at it with my borescope. While I plan on keeping and working with this gun I've been giving some thought about buying another rifle in .416 Rigby as I do like the cartridge. I've thought about Montana Rifle Co.'s Dangerous Game Rifle but don't have any experience with them. Does anyone have any suggestions on a new .416 Rigby that weighs around 10 lbs and won't break the bank?

Buy mine.. :mrgreen: much better gun, much better balanced in a much better action....all at 11ibs.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 2041069591

Mighty Peace":74sem44l said:
FYI, seen posted, Sako will be releasing the m85 Kodiak in a 416 and other dangerous game calibers.

Hi Darren, it's the Brown Bear that's been chamberd for the 416 and 2 other loads, the Kodiak remains with the .338 and .375,

Lou :)

I got the chance to shoot a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby yesterday and it was a joy to handle and shoot.
The rifle had a great feel to it and the recoil wasn't bad at all. The 400 gr Hornady at 2400 fps was more of a big push.
Impressive rifle.

JD338

Back