52 gr HPBT performance on varmints?

2ndtimer

Handloader
Sep 26, 2004
Was curious if anyone has shot varmints with the 52 gr HPBT bullets in their .223? Do they provide explosive expansion? I realize the Ballistic Tips are the best choice, but I got a deal on 1000 of the BTHP bullets, and they are very accurate with 25.0 gr of Ramshot TAC powder and Winchester small rifle primers. Do the 50 and 55 gr SHOTS bullets perform better? (Yes I got a deal on some of those, too. Not quite as accurate in my rifle as the BTHP bullets, but certainly sufficient for 100 yard gophers, 200 yard prairie dogs, and maybe even rock chucks at 300. Although, I will probably continue to use the Ballstic Tips on the rock chucks since we shoot them at arouind 300 yards, so I like the performance and ballistic coefficient) My buddy shoots a 22-250 Improved, so if their performance is lacking at .223 Remington velocities, perhaps I could trade some to him, as I am sure that 3700 or 3800 fps might make for a dramatic difference in their on target performance. Thanks in advance for any replies.

PS Any truth to the rumor that the Nosler SHOTS .22 cal. bullets are sold as the Midway Arms Dogtown bullets? Or are they really for export to Australia? (Another rumor I have heard)

2ndtimer":1yar895o said:
PS Any truth to the rumor that the Nosler SHOTS .22 cal. bullets are sold as the Midway Arms Dogtown bullets? Or are they really for export to Australia? (Another rumor I have heard)

No experience with the 52 gr HPBT bullets. I am using the 50 gr BT in my 22-250 Rem for woodchucks and coyotes.

I can tell you though that the 22 cal 50 gr SHOTS are exported to OZ.
They are popular for shooting kangaroos.
I bought some a couple years ago and shot my best group with them out of my 700VLS 22-250, .187" at 100 yds. I have only used them on paper, no field experience to report.

JD338

My 223 Kimber Model 82 loves Black Hills in the blue box. I believed they're loaded with 52 grain HPBT. They're deadly on jackrabbit and ground squirrels.

Yes, the Shots (50 & 55gr) bullets are made for export to Australia. They are very popular here, being a lot more economical than the ballistic tips. Used by pro Roo shooters as stated but a lot more of them are sold to non-pro shooters. They are a good bullet and very accurate, I use the 50gr in my .222 but B/T's in my .22/250AI.

Back