6.5-280 AI

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I'm kind of curious about this round and how it compares to a 264 WM. Obviously it would be less speed but maybe not too much.

I agree Gerry. I think the comparison would be similar to the 280AI vs. 7mm Rem Mag.

JD338

I hope those who own/shoot them chime in as I am really interested too. I base this on my past use of a 24" bbl 6.5/284. With strong Winchester cases, I got actual 3200fps with both Nosler 120/125. I never even tried heavier as this was in a short action and I was after a flat shooting deer rifle...which it was in spades! Only issue I had was it didn't feed perfectly and I am super dooper anal on reliability ( I don't know why, I've never fired a shot in anger nor faced charging elephant...big hogs, yes, maybe that's where it comes from ,ha) I can't but think that a 6.5/280AI with a 24" bbl would give a .264WM with a 24"bbl a close run, especially with the lighter bullets. Now, the gap would get closer if we put a 26" bl on the 6.5/280AI to compare with the 24" 264, and of course wider if we put that 264 in a 26-27" bbl. I still think the 264 would stay ahead with 140s, but, in the field, would it always be needed? I'm curious. I can't wait to get my hands on my rebarreled Mod 7 in 6.5 Creedmoor as I can see a definite place for it on game. However, "if" all I had to do was run a Nosler 280AI case into a FL 6.5/280AI die, like I did with the 6.5/284 and the 284 Winchester case, and not have to go through the fire forming hoopla again ( I'm getting old and cranky!) I'd consider having one made up. I can't see enough difference between my 270 or 280 to warrant a "regular" 6.5/280 or 6.5/06, for example, just to keep it feeding right.

Looking at Nosler's data and the listed case capacity with 140 gr bullets.

280 AI - 65.4 gr
264 WM - 79.6 gr
26 Nosler - 93 gr

If loaded to equal pressures the 6.5-280 AI should be a fair bit slower than the 264 WM.

Rich Sherman on LRH builds a case basically the same as that but with the shoulder pushed forward more. It's called a 6.5 Sherman. He get's 3200fps with 140's in a 26" barrel. Pretty much the same as a .264wm.

QL gives usable case capacity in the 280 AI as 74 gr
The 6.5-06 is 68
6.5-284 66

I would think it would be almost identical to a 6.5-06 AI. Pretty much the same thing at around 71-72 gr usable I would guess?

In my 6.5-06, I run a 130 AB with RL22 at 3040 and am not pushing it at all. Just happened to be where the node was. There is still some room if a guy wanted to push it although only about another 70-100 fps. It's really accurate there and I'm good with it for now.

I've done the 6.5x284 Norma, 290 neck,27" barrel and using 142gr/140gr VLD little over 3000fps and I could of run it little hotter but best accuracy around 3000fps and was build long action. SAAMI spec OAL 6.5x284 Norma 3.228"

There are some 6.5x280AI build by

http://www.darrellhollandguns.com/shop/

Nosler does have data for the 6.5x284 Norma and their top load using 140gr AB is 2953fps, 26" barrel 1/9 twist.

That is part of the reason lack of interest in building 6.5x280AI.

I have a friend having one built as we speak, all of his brass is nosler 280ai brass, a couple other folks around here have 6.5-06ai, not sure on barrel length but they run 130s to 3300 without pushing hard, and 140s to 3200, these guys fireform 25-06 or 270 brass after they have neck sized. Sounds like great caliber but I think I would just run a 264 win mag.
Don't know if that helps any, I kick the idea around once in a while, we have a smith that will Do a barrel swap and chamber and the other works for $500 bucks.

I really think if I got "another" rifle for a serious shooter it would be a 6.5, in some variant of the 06 case. I have told my self no more "guns", because I don't shoot all of the ones I currently own. I don't like looking at them sitting in the safe.

I could not get 3200 with my 6.5/284/120,125 using either the new, at the time, Norma brass nor the Hornady brass. I wouldn't have cared if I had kept on using the rifle. I like the Ackley cases, just a thingy of mine. I really do believe they ( or any sharper shouldered case, i.e. WSM) get an efficient burn with powder, as to say, compared to bigger cases/more sloping shoulder. I don't look at it as saving any powder, but more as getting all I can from a particular case, i.e the '06 size. I don't shoot at game over 300 anymore, so even the long range aspect doesn't appeal to me. I like the flat shooting as I can "thread the needle" in the woods on game, the way I prefer to hunt. Also, out on the prairie, I have stretched my comfort zone to 370 when I have had a flat heavy hitter ( I used both 300WM-180 and .257 Bee-115PT for that)or that 6.5 120NBT/125, both beat the wind better. For me, the wind, rather than range has always limited my long range shooting ( well, "hitting" as I have shot ALOT and missed, ha) Another thing that has been problematical for me is judging the range ( I tend to leave the RF at camp a lot!) of a critter across a canyon or the next ridge with the light different on them than on me. I try to trump that by a +3@100 PBR zero but still have trouble believing "my lying eyes", ha... I tend to hold over when I should be holding on hair. Up in the woods/ aspen edges, I like a "1@100 zero to "finesse" him. My hat goes off to long range shooters, I was just never that good at it to be comfortable past a certain point. Now rocks, Communists, ISIS wannabes, look out, I will give them a SWAG and let her rip! lol

Very cool cartridge Gerry. It'd be pretty nice to run 280 Ackley cases up into the sizer and get a ready made case.

I get 3200 on the nose from my 26" 264 Win Mag using RL25. Not sure if there's much more to be had, but it's certainly an awesome load and I enjoy shooting it a lot.

Is that with the 140 Scotty or the 125? I keep seeing these Mod 70 Sporters on GB in 264 with a 26" bbl. So tempting....:)

That's with the 140 AB and BT Jim. Very easy rifle to shoot. One of the good ones.

The 6.5- 280 AI would be an easy wildcat to go with and all that nice 280 AI brass out there. After looking at the case capacities I would think at equal pressures it would be about 100 fps behind the 264 WM. Of course it would be easy to go again with the 264 WM and there is good quality properly head stamped brass. In the field there probably would be almost zero difference between them.

Gerry,

If you have dies and such for the WM I'd just stay there. The 6.5-280AI is one cool cat but if you have the WM I don't think the added expense is worth it cause your going to have to change out the bolt as well to make it all work. Big guns can always be loaded down to little gun levels. Little guns are always little guns!

Thinking the same, nothing wrong with the 264 WM and yes I do have dies and brass.

I am thinking hard on using the 03-A3 action I bought from David here for this. I have a 24.5" 1-in-9" twisted tube already threaded for 03 & short-chambered 6.5-06.

Gerry did you do this? I'd like to know if it's worth having to smooth up feeding over the drop-in fit of an 06.

Thanks guys!

No I didn't do it. If I ever do I think I would just keep it simple and go with the standard 6.5-06 or go with the 264 WM again.

efw":1myivlfb said:
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too; straight-up 6.5-06.

Thanks Gerry!

That would be really neat EFW. I like all of those 6.5's.

Back