Absolute Hammer Success 280 AI

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Figuring out these Absolute Hammer bullets. I started out with the usual suspects, RL22, 4831 but ran out of case before getting any real velocity. I know they say use faster than normal powders, but guess I’m stuck in my ways. Others were finding success with H100V, I didn’t have any, nor could I find it, so I grabbed the Staball 6.5. I’m still not getting the velocity others claim with staball 6.5 and the 140 Absolute in the 280 AI, but I’m impressed. They say if I switch from a mag primer to standard I might see a velocity bump.

Attachments

• IMG_0624.jpeg
    IMG_0624.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0469.jpeg
    IMG_0469.jpeg
    512.7 KB · Views: 39
Very good! You got good accuracy and velocity!

I loaded 140g AHs in my 280 Rem, started with StaBall 6.5 and got pressure real early, then tried RL17, got good velocity, just under 3200 fps but never could get the accuracy. Last I tried IMR4350 excellent accuracy at an average of 3116 fps.

I wonder if RL26 would work before you filled the case in your 280ai? I'm using it in my 280 with 150g Accubonds.

Last edited:
Very good! Your got good accuracy and velocity!

I loaded 140g AHs in my 280 Rem, started with StaBall 6.5 and got pressure real early, then tried RL17, got good velocity, just under 3200 fps but never could get the accuracy. Last I tried IMR4350 excellent accuracy at an average of 3116 fps.

I wonder if RL26 would work before you filled the case in your 280ai? I'm using it in my 280 with 150g Accubonds.
That’s something I’m considering, powders with high bulk density in lieu of ones faster up the chart. I did this with the 119 Absolute in the 7-08, I used Leverevolution and got great velocity and case fill even though it’s slower than what was suggested.

That’s something I’m considering, powders with high bulk density in lieu of ones faster up the chart. I did this with the 119 Absolute in the 7-08, I used Leverevolution and got great velocity and case fill even though it’s slower than what was suggested.
I agree! I did the same thing with 90g Absolute in my 25-06, got almost 200 fps more with RL26 than any other powder and a perfect case fill.

Definitely a learning curve with their absolute line.
The .257 90gr AH have been a challenge in 2 257 Wbys for me. 3 powders , 3 primers , 3 brands of brass crimp/no crimp and 1 being a stainless barrel. Alway 2 touching and the other out.
I can see it in your group to , 2 always touching and 1 is out.

The .257 90gr AH have been a challenge in 2 257 Wbys for me. 3 powders , 3 primers , 3 brands of brass crimp/no crimp and 1 being a stainless barrel. Alway 2 touching and the other out.
I can see it in your group to , 2 always touching and 1 is out.
I guess I've been lucky, my 25-06 loves the 90g AH's, I also tried the 95g tipped Hammers and the Absolute were more accurate. My 22-250 shoots the 63g AHs in bug hole groups as well. I haven't tried them in my 300wsm yet, I have an excellent load with 180g Accubonds.

IMR 7828SSC is what I am using in my 280AI shooting 140 gr. Partitions or Accubonds. Both group great. Partitions chrono at 3230 fps and the Accubonds at 3186fps.

Yup love them things! What is your load and velocity?
62.5 Staball 6.5 @ 3239 fps. Been told that switching to a standard primer from a mag I could gain a little speed. I've always heard to use mag primer for ball powder in the -06 and up size cases.

62.5 Staball 6.5 @ 3239 fps. Been told that switching to a standard primer from a mag I could gain a little speed. I've always heard to use mag primer for ball powder in the -06 and up size cases.
Interesting. I always thought/experienced a gain in velocity with magnum primers. I've also used magnum primers for charge weights over 60.0 grains.
As a side note, my groups shrunk in my 280 AI when I went to magnum primers.

JD338

Interesting. I always thought/experienced a gain in velocity with magnum primers. I've also used magnum primers for charge weights over 60.0 grains.
As a side note, my groups shrunk in my 280 AI when I went to magnum primers.

JD338
I'd have to look it up, but the THEORY is the magnum primer gets the bullet moving before the powder is sufficiently ignited. Don't know but there seems to be believers in the theory over on another board. They are also big into use the Lee crimp die to prevent it. In my feeble little brain, if it happens it seems like pushing the bullet into the lands before ignition would actually increase pressure and speed??????

Last edited:
I'd have to look it up, but the THEORY is the magnum primer gets the bullet moving before the powder is sufficiently ignited. Don't know but there seems to be believers in the theory over on another board. They are also big into use the Lee crimp die to prevent it. In my feeble little brain, if it happens it seems like pushing the bullet into the lands before ignition would actually increase pressure and speed??????
I've used both magnum and std primers with Hammer bullets, it's varied on which worked best. I believe I have tried both with my 280 Rem, I'll check my notes when I get home this afternoon and let you know.

I've used both magnum and std primers with Hammer bullets, it's varied on which worked best. I believe I have tried both with my 280 Rem, I'll check my notes when I get home this afternoon and let you know.
When I started working up my Hammer load I tried both WLRM and CCI LR, there was very little difference in velocity and at the time I had more mag primers so I continued with them.

Good data fellas. I have some 130 grain Absolute Hammers I wanna try in my 7-08. Still trying to figure out which powder to start with for that one. I also have some 172 Absolute Hammers that are going to get a run in my Mashburn. I use 570 with the 175 ABLR's, so I am not sure if I should drop back to something like H1000, Magnum, Retumbo?

They are definitely a bit experimental though. I have found they respond to seating depth adjustments just like any other bullet though and very much like an AccuBond or TTSX or whatever. I have either started them at .050 off the lands or max mag length and have been working back from there with pretty decent results.

Good morning all. I am just a guest here that have learned a lot from all of you, but I thought this was a Nosler forum. I am glad you are excited about other makers, but do you think you can get on Hammer forum and post about competitors? I see what happens on LRH.
Just my thoughts.

Back