6.5-284 Norma vs 6.5 Swede

orchemo

Handloader
Dec 13, 2006
As I look over the data, just does not seem to be much difference (150-200 FPS) difference.

I have a Savage 6.5-285 Norma with a long action that I can seat the bullets long.

I also have a Sako Finnlight in 6.5 Swede that also allows the bullets to be seated long.

They both shoot well, just not sure I want to bounce back and forth between an Accu-trigger and a Sako trigger. The Finnlight carries VERY well and I shoot them well.

Just late night ramblings.

Not sure of the comparison but I do like a handy rifle. I've got a 6.5 Swede in a Featherweight M70. It also allows long seating of the bullets and has been very accurate so far. Tough call, depends on which one you'd wanna carry more.

Both are fine cartridges. Sounds as if the issue comes down to a preference for the rifle. The 6.5X66 is a classic with tons of data and a wealth of people experienced in loading for it. The 6.5-284 has the advantage of being new and sexy. Can't see that the cartridge would influence me significantly one way or the other. The rifle? Probably.

I had a lot of experience with the Swede growing up, it was my dads favorite. He killed ALOT of deer with it and 120gr BTs. He had a 260 and loved it but the 6.5x55 was tops to him. It hits way above its weight class. With heavy bullets the swede and 6.5x284 are nearly identical out of equal length barrels. Nosler loads a little light at 2650 for the x55 and 2750 for the x284. Hornady's Superperformance 140gr load is at 2735 in the Swede FWIW. Since both require a long action and I had to choose it would be the 6.5x284, 5gr more capacity, more efficient burning design, and more versatile IMO.

I sure do like them 6.5s they are a great deer gun :wink:. I am still pondering the 25 Whelen (y).

Blessings,
Dan

I have owned 3 6.5's the .260, 6.5 swede, and currently the 6.5 creedmoor. As far as on deer performance I couldn't tell a difference all died quickly! All 3 were extremely easy to get sub MOA loads in the rifles I had. But the creedmoor is showing an edge in accuracy with all loads so far being sub MOA except superformance 120 gr. Gmx. I never got that below like a 2.5 to 3 inch group? My gun just hates them I reckon. Never owned or shot the 6.5 Norma but it has plenty of credentials. A certain thread on this sight has me wanting the 6.5-06 pretty bad right now.

Clev, mee too. If it still had factory ammo available from A-Square it would move up on my want list.

I can see myself getting one. One day anyways after this baby gets here. So realistically 25 years from now I can afford to build a custom rifle haha.

Dwh7271":35y1qwlh said:
I sure do like them 6.5s they are a great deer gun :wink:. I am still pondering the 25 Whelen (y).

Blessings,
Dan

How about a 6.5 Whelen Dan? :mrgreen:

Or a 264 Whelen... We're 'Mericans darn it! North 'Mericans!

I suppose it would be a .308 vs. .30-06 type of comparison.

Get what you want and go merrily hunting in the woods!

Dale

My vote would go to the Sako Finnlight in 6.5x55 Swede. My decision is based on the rifle instead of the drilling.

JD338

I own both a Savage 260 Rem and a Sako 30-06. The Savage is a great gun and I really like it but the Sako is much nicer which it should be since it costs more than twice as much. The 6.5x284 is a great round (I would like to give one a go one day) but the 6.5x55 is a really nice round too, my wife really likes her T 3 in that caliber. I don't know if you will miss that extra 150 fps or so in the field.

Thanks gents. I have had several really nice shooting Savage rifles over the years, they just are not as svelte as the Finnlights.

Cheers

When one of my K-31s wears out the tube, I plan on building a 6.5x55(swiss) straight pull sporter. That should be a hoot!

Might just make it 6.5x284. The basic case is very similar to the 7,5x55, .284 brass can be used to form it and the extractor design of the K-31 allows it to grab the rebated rim nicely.

JD338":279zu16s said:
My vote would go to the Sako Finnlight in 6.5x55 Swede. My decision is based on the rifle instead of the drilling.

JD338

^ Yep.

I have liked some Savages they're great shooting rifles, but comparing a Savage to a Sako? I've lusted after a Sako since I was a kid; ain't nobody lusting after a Savage.

Love the Swede too; 6.5-284 Norma is cool, but Swede is old school cool. 150 GPS doesn't mean jack IMHO.

Sako Swede all the way.

I've owned 3 different 6.5 Swedes; an old army rifle and two Remington Classics. All shot well, but the one Classic saw in the neighbourhood of 3500-4000 rounds while I owned it was 1/2 MOA at 200 yards with 140 PT's and X bullets.

I had a Savage in 6.5-284, and while a MOA rifle, just did not have the appeal to warrant keeping it. (Life's too short to own an ugly gun!)

Looking forward to a left handed Sako 85 Hunter in 6.5 Swede; but at the current exchange rate, may build a custom rifle, as I have a donor rifle and access to a barrel that will keep the build costs reasonable. (Although that 9.3 x 62 is calling loudly!)

I had a 6.5 Creedmoor in the Ruger Hawkeye, but as it was right handed, it is now in the hands of Dr.Mike.

And I am really liking my Sako Varmint Laminated Stainless in 260 Rem. 1/2 MOA with the Federal 142 SGK ammo.

So with all this in mind, I would cast my vote for the Finnlight in 6.5x 55! Nice rifle! And with handloads there isn't much difference in performance - at least not enough for any animal to notice!

My Dad hunted with the x55 for years , our assessment of it after dozens of buck deer, was its killing ability on deer sized animals, was certainly more than the ballistics figures show, those long bullets seam to really transfer everything the case had to offer, many times showing instantaneous kills!
Wonderful cartridge for deer in my opinion.

For me I have all the rifles I need. But if Remington ever put a 6.5x284 Win. in a long action with a 26inch barrel in a #4. With a 1 in 8.25 twist I would get in line to buy one.

Back