6.5-284 Norma

colt45

Beginner
Jun 2, 2006
Anyone out there have any experiance with the 6.5-284 norma? I have a Ruger M77 ultra light that has seen it's accuracy life and is going to get a new barrel. I was considering a .260 Rem untill I read about the Norma in Peterson's Hunting. I need to Know if the fatter Norma will stack in the Ruger magazine as any extra smith work may push this project over budget. Thanks for any input.

Between the 2 I would go with the 6.5/284. Very accurate cartridge!

It's an ultralight model, one of the older ones with tang safty and adjustable trigger, chambered in .308 Winchester. I just purchased a new .308 for a replacement and have a .280 Rem that's why I am considering a 6.5 for whitetail, 'yotes and if I ever get west for speed goats. I'm trying to find out if there will be any unforseen problems with the .284 case before I commit to it.

Thanks again

I always like attempting to do things or have things a little different. I would expect any un-forseen issues with the 6.5 - .284. Should work out just fine. 120gr B-tips & now the 130grn A-bond I imagine would shoot very well.

I've got both a 260 and a 6.5-284. I shoot the 6.5-284 in a benchrest long range rig and find it to be a great cartridge for that application. The short action can pose some problems for the 6.5-284 if you want to shoot long skinny 140grain bullets. The case is a bit longer than the 308 (by .15" or so) and needs more room in my actions. I shoot a 260 in my hunting rig and find it works on everything I need to kill out to 400 yards. With the 260 you won't have to worry about feeding problems either.

I much prefer the .260 over the 6.5-284. I had the 6.5-284 for F-Class for a while. After about 1100 rounds, it was time to replace the barrel and I immediately went back to the .260. For a hunting rifle, there is no advantage to the 6.5-284. If you need more go power than a .260, get a 6.5X55 Swede.

It have a little bit better velocity. Work very well at pushing the heavier bullets but isn't as much of a barrel burner that the 6.5-284 is. It's also easier to get factory ammo and brass for.

UPDATE I sat down with my gunsmith the otherday and hashed out a few things, if I want the 6.5-284 I would have to buy the reamer but since he has a .260 reamer there is no extra cost to me. It will be late Feb. or March be for he can start on the .260 barrel.

Back