6.5 Creedmoor bullet for mule deer & cow elk

69gto":1gddh3s3 said:
Shamrock: the velocity was checked with a Magneto speed chrony, book load velocities are usually very optimistic for the amount of powder they show. All of the Hornady factory loads were way slower than advertised, maybe because of the 20 inch barrel.
Thanks. I was expecting the old 50 or so fps loss per inch of barrel. Going from 24 book to my 22. We have an old optical pro chronograph and our range is near a big tree so I'm always fighting with it and I'm never really sure I can trust the velocity readings. So it's always good to verify against what others have recorded with different chronos.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I checked the few local places I can get powder and no r16 r17 or h4350. I checked a few online shops and they were limited stock mostly and would charge you some crazy Shipping charges.

So I guess I am going to try a 120 gmx over superformance and a 143 eldx over imr4350 and superformance because I have those powders on hand.

Blkram":2esl5to5 said:
And your 7 mm is shooting great as well!

Thanks. That is a rem 700 bdl with a crappy older style trigger. But man can she shoot. It was many years of helpful pointers from fellow shooters on forums like this that helped me learn how to modify the stock and work up a fine shooting load.

So I plan to load a few more of these 143 eldx to see if this result is reproducible. I still have a grain to go for Max load but group opened up to an inch at Max. Do I go with the load pictured and sacrifice 50 fps?

Do I even bother trying 140 nosler acbs if these Hornady 143 punch ragged holes? I leave for my hunt in two months so that doesn't leave many weekends left for load development.
810b832132014fd7cd6cab66a6518d11.jpg

I’d hunt it. Put it on ribs and it eat.

If you wanted to coax more speed I’d try 26 or 17 but I’d hunt that as is if you can make hits with it at distance.

SJB358":1cqqimg7 said:
I’d hunt it. Put it on ribs and it eat.

If you wanted to coax more speed I’d try 26 or 17 but I’d hunt that as is if you can make hits with it at distance.

+1

Go for it!

I’d hunt with that no problem. I bet that ELDx will hold together and mushroom beautifully at that speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried superformance too. Little better speed but groups also opened up near Max charge. The best groups for imr 4350 and superformance where both at 2550 fps so that is the magic tuning fork number for this gun and bullet. Superformance was about 1/2 group at 2550.

I have the bdc reticle in my scope which will be field verified out to 300 before I make the drive from NY to Wyoming. So 100 fps isn't the end of the world. Just need to pay attention after 275 yds where it really starts to fall off the table.

ShamrockShooter":2brh2iuy said:
hodgeman":2brh2iuy said:
I've had very good results with Superformance powder in my 6.5CM with 143s.
I have almost a pound of superformance I want to try with 143 eldx. What charge are you using? Hornady book says 44.7 Max, hodgdon website says 45.8 is Max for superformance.

44.7gr loaded to book COAL. It's got a bunch of jump to the lands but it likes it.

Attachments

• 143 Superperformance.jpg
    143 Superperformance.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 762
hodgeman":2p714l3t said:
ShamrockShooter":2p714l3t said:
hodgeman":2p714l3t said:
I've had very good results with Superformance powder in my 6.5CM with 143s.
I have almost a pound of superformance I want to try with 143 eldx. What charge are you using? Hornady book says 44.7 Max, hodgdon website says 45.8 is Max for superformance.

44.7gr loaded to book COAL. It's got a bunch of jump to the lands but it likes it.
Nice shooting. Any idea what you got for fps? How long is your barrel?

ShamrockShooter":sx5s80j9 said:
Nice shooting. Any idea what you got for fps? How long is your barrel

My rifle is a carbine with an 18" barrel, That load chronographs 2600fps at 51F.

hodgeman":lb6zjs8e said:
ShamrockShooter":lb6zjs8e said:

My rifle is a carbine with an 18" barrel, That load chronographs 2600fps at 51F.
What Chrono are you using? I'm starting to suspect our old pro Chrono is giving me some slow speeds and is due for an upgrade

ShamrockShooter":3ml49o5w said:
hodgeman":3ml49o5w said:
ShamrockShooter":3ml49o5w said:

What Chrono are you using? I'm starting to suspect our old pro Chrono is giving me some slow speeds and is due for an upgrade

A buddy of mine has a Lab Radar, I love that thing...just makes the optical chronos obsolete.

[/quote]

A buddy of mine has a Lab Radar, I love that thing...just makes the optical chronos obsolete.[/quote]

Nice friend to have. I don't shoot enough to justify that cost but was thinking of the magnetospeed Sporter just not sure if it would work with my muzzle brake.

A buddy of mine has a Lab Radar, I love that thing...just makes the optical chronos obsolete.[/quote]

Nice friend to have. I don't shoot enough to justify that cost but was thinking of the magnetospeed Sporter just not sure if it would work with my muzzle brake.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk[/quote]

It'll work..

hodgeman":1ih9tzg8 said:
ShamrockShooter":1ih9tzg8 said:
hodgeman":1ih9tzg8 said:
ShamrockShooter":1ih9tzg8 said:

A buddy of mine has a Lab Radar, I love that thing...just makes the optical chronos obsolete.

It's what I use exclusively any more. I have an Oehler 35P for sale and a couple of Beta Chrony units. Guess I need to get busy and let them go down the road.

DrMike":bfhb662s said:
It's what I use exclusively any more. I have an Oehler 35P for sale and a couple of Beta Chrony units. Guess I need to get busy and let them go down the road.

Sorry so you only use the lab radar or the cheaper magnetospeed sporter?

Back