6.5 Creedmoor Favorite Loads

These were shot with Peterson's brass and 45.5 or 46grs of R26 using the 147 ELD-M. My dads was at 200yds. The problem is while this load is stupid accurate the Peterson's brass can't handle the load. After the first shot the cases stick in the chamber even with full length sizing.

Attachments

• Dads6.5creedmoor.jpg
    Dads6.5creedmoor.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 2,689
  • Creedmoor3shotand4shotgroups.jpg
    Creedmoor3shotand4shotgroups.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 2,688
IdahoCTD":3n0cjfe4 said:
These were shot with Peterson's brass and 45.5 or 46grs of R26 using the 147 ELD-M. My dads was at 200yds. The problem is while this load is stupid accurate the Peterson's brass can't handle the load. After the first shot the cases stick in the chamber even with full length sizing.

That is some incredible accuracy!

I ran some 142gr SMK bullets with 46.0 RE26 without any sign of pressure in the Lapua cases. Accuracy was good but didn't quite match the Bergers at the 400 yd line.

I was really hoping to take a whitetail or two with the Berger but as luck would have it, I passed on a few smaller bucks only to end my hunting week without seeing anything better. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. :roll:

SJB358":3a2jpm37 said:
Charlie, that’s great shooting. Those Browning’s are darned good rifles. Looks like they are really building some great rifles these days.

I only have two complaints with the rifle:
1. The trigger was good but not really what I needed/wanted and the aftermarket trigger selection is lean for the X bolts. I settled for a Timney which worked out but it disables the bolt release button. I wasn't happy about that.
2. The brake is FAKE. It is merely a hollow tube, like a piece of copper pipe, with holes drilled into it. It had a grossly oversized exit hole that would accommodate a 340 WBY. :shock: I had Vais make me a radial brake which is contour matched to the barrel. It looks and works great. The Creed doesn't really need a brake but the barrel was already threaded so I figured; why not?

Overall, I am very happy with the rifle and the factory McMillan stock. It is undoubtedly the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned.

My large firing pin and sloppy Remington firing pin hole doesn't like Lapua SRP brass. I wish they would make LRP brass. That is why I tried Peterson but now I'm shooting Hornady. I will probably try some ADG to see how it likes the Peterson brass load because the Peterson brass is more accurate then the Hornady brass. Or I'll fix my sloppy firing pin hole and turn down my firing pin to run the Lapua brass.

IdahoCTD":cwtsrpbf said:
My large firing pin and sloppy Remington firing pin hole doesn't like Lapua SRP brass. I wish they would make LRP brass. That is why I tried Peterson but now I'm shooting Hornady. I will probably try some ADG to see how it likes the Peterson brass load because the Peterson brass is more accurate then the Hornady brass. Or I'll fix my sloppy firing pin hole and turn down my firing pin to run the Lapua brass.

I’ve had excellent results with Starline LR brass in my Savage. About as sloppy of fire control as you can get[emoji1]

I’ve picked up some 160gr Woodleigh Weldcores that I’m going to try in my 7 twist when I get around to chambering it. It’s a good looking bullet, probably use the 160gr Hornady RN data as a starting spot.

IdahoCTD":5t2omfuw said:

Try the Alpha Munitions brass Nathan. As good or better than Lapua and tough as nails as well. It’s like RWS but made in ‘Merica!

Great shooting buddy! Dig the little 6.5 CM.

These two have served me well. The 140Bt load to 600yds and the LRAB to 1000yds both maintain their group MOA.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    1,018.4 KB · Views: 1,148
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,148
  • 71003.jpg
    71003.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,148
Those are some excellent groups, Scott. They would put a smile on the most jaded rifle crank.

Thanks fellas for the load data. Looks like some of you have some real shooters!
I got a quick zero for Sue and ended up with this decent group with the 129 gr ABLR and 41.5 grs RL17 going .662".
BZhvK9a.jpg

I don't think it's going to be too difficult to find a load.

JD338

Pretty impressive, Jim. Looks as if she will have a shooter on her hands.

I checked mine yesterday

Shot six

Decided to try and add 4 more to it.

Doesn’t always happen that well but this rifle darned near fires itself.

Very comforting groups, Scotty. Guess I'm going to have to spring for some of the ELD-X bullets.

Right now I'm running Peterson srp brass, 40.5 grains of RL16, and a 140 Sierra gameking seated .020" off the lands. Averaging around 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Speed is 2673 fps through a 24" barrelled howa.

Also running the exact same load except with a 140 grain nosler cc bullet seated .010" off the lands in my 26" barreled howa target rifle. Except its averaging 2770 fps through the longer barrel and averaging in the .3's group wise at 100 yards.

I plan on reworking the gameking load to gain some more velocity after deer season. I start hitting pressure signs fairly early with the Peterson brass, compared to the hornady brass anyways.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Right now I'm working up loads for the Nosler 130 RDF with Reloder 17 and H4350 in Prime Brass, Rem 9 1/2 primers out of my 24" Proof Research, 1:8, M24 stainless barrel.

COAL is 2.775 per Nosler Data. Anecdotes indicate they like to be run 2900+.

I'll advise of results

Attachment is Norma Golden Target 130 on left, Nosler on right. Notice the bearing surface on the Nosler is shorter. I got a feeling if I run it up to 120g speeds (2900+) it'll do solid.
b47af739a8458f77a31db4dd4fc0a6bc.jpg

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

clcustom1911":244seuvi said:
Right now I'm working up loads for the Nosler 130 RDF with Reloder 17 and H4350 in Prime Brass, Rem 9 1/2 primers out of my 24" Proof Research, 1:8, M24 stainless barrel.

I'll advise of results

Attachment is Norma Golden Target 130 on left, Nosler on right. Notice the bearing surface on the Nosler is shorter. I got a feeling if I run it up to 120g speeds (2900+) it'll do solid.

Looking forward to your results. Been thinking about trying the RDF bullets.

Cleveland48":ji5j9k5x said:
clcustom1911":ji5j9k5x said:

I'll advise of results

Looking to go out on Friday to my local 200 yard range. Gonna spend all day to shoot and document. Gonna give my kestrel AB software, StrelokPro, and Hornady 4DOF lots of info to argue about. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clcustom1911":19ec8vdq said:
Cleveland48":19ec8vdq said:
clcustom1911":19ec8vdq said:

I'll advise of results

Looking to go out on Friday to my local 200 yard range. Gonna spend all day to shoot and document. Gonna give my kestrel AB software, StrelokPro, and Hornady 4DOF lots of info to argue about. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sounds like it'll be a great day!

Back