6.5 Swede loads

normo

Beginner
Oct 18, 2007
I am looking at building some loads for a 6.5 Swede for my son, starting to get ready for next deer season (blacktails). Looking for some pet loads with 120gr bullets that would work well for a 12 year old boy, a little on the short/small side.
I have been reading a little on this great cartridge, and sounds way better than any 30-30 for a starter gun for deer.

Thanks.

If you are interested, I have been handloading 100gr. BT and they are an absolute "powder puff", yet are leaving at over 3,000fps. They blow through whitetail nicely, may I add.

Jim

At this point I would be interested, I am planning to spend the off season getting him used to shooting bigger guns and if I can get a good load that does well even with a lighter bullet I'm all for it.

Thanks for the info, I went and gave it a look, I think it will help get some starting loads as long as the recommended powder is listed for the 6.5.

I noticed that the 6.5x55 is not listed in the list down on the lower left side of the page, but there are several that are listed. Generally speaking, there are several cartridges that come close, and you could very likely use similar percentages of max charge to come to a safe and workable load for your rifle. I'd start with the 120gr stuff, and consider something like the Ballistic Tip, as it will help with initiating expansion. It is certainly nice to know that H4895 will be safe down to around 60% (actually to about 10% below that, according to Hodgdon), so you can find a reasonably consistent load that is also reasonably accurate, that doesn't kick too much. Keep us posted, as I will be working up some stuff here shortly for my 7yr old.

I noticed tht Hogden did not list the 6.5x55, but I am going to vross reference some of my full size manuals and if they list H4895 for the 6.5 I'll do the math listed on the Hogden site to begin working up some loads. I was think the 120 BT would be a great choice for starters.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

I am using Varget on my 100gr. BT loads... Since I use the Lee dipper, as soon as I get a chance I will put it on the scale so I can give you grains...

Jim

From Hodgdons site for the 6.5x55 with a 100 gr Sierra HP. 37-41gr H4895 for 2820-3033 fps. The 120 Nosler BT with H4895 34-37.8gr.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

I`d use a 100 gr Hornady HP or the 100 gr Nosler Partiton with a starting load of Varget , 4064, or one of the 4895s as a deer load for a youth or lady starting out. The 100 gr Hornady bullet has had a few good reviews as a deer bullet at these reduced velocities on a site or two I`ve read. The Partition needs no intro, it simply works.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Parents came for a visit so I had to clean the gun room. For the life of me, I couldn't find my powder pan for hours...
I am using Winchester Brass and Winchester large rifle primers. 100gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips that are .02" off the lands over 42.9gr.(3.1cc) of Varget. Getting 3050fps. and tight groups. This is out of a CZ, so if you have an older rifle work up the load.
I am really beginning to love Varget since it isn't temperature sensitive. Work up loads in the summer and knowing they will perform the same in the dead of winter IS a confidence builder.
Oh ya, this is a "BEHIND" the shoulder load. They punch through everytime for me. Would not recommend a shoulder shot with this load. Recoil extremely low...

Good Luck
Jim

Sounds like a great load and perhaps what I am looking for to get started. I am planning to pick up the rifle and dies from my dad this weekend and hopefully get some loads worked up in the next few weeks.

Back