6.5 x 47 Lapua barrel, in my switch barrel gun

Homer -
Is there as season on them, or is it possible to hunt/shoot them anytime of the year? I need to check and see what a flight would cost from Taiwan to your place and get in a night of shooting! :lol:
Joel

G'Day .257 Ackley,

Theres no actual season but the Govt authorities issue Kangaroo Culling Tags, that must be with the carcass!
Down in my neck of the woods (Sth East end of the country), we only cull them, during Winter but in other parts of the country, they just cull them until they run out of tags!

.257, you need to remember that we are currently in Summer and out around Cunnamulla, it is not just HOT but BLOODY HOT at present!!!
Come prepared for a Temperature Shock!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Yeah I don't like Bloody Hot at all :mrgreen: . There is a reason why I live in Minnesota. My Pops always said; you can always put more on...there is only so much you can take off. This from a guy that wore wool long handles in the summer :roll: .

How do you get the tags? Do you have to pay for them or is there a certain amount that are handed out to whoever wants them? Are most shots within 100 meters or are you just a head shooter? :) I would have to think an AR with a re dot could be some kind of fun!

G'Day .257 Ackley,

Unfortunately, it's a bit hard to get away from the heat in Oz at present!
Also, No Can Bring any AR type rifles, they are a Prohibited Import!!!
Bolt, Pump, Lever and Single Shot only.
I really do dislike slimy Political Animals!!!

Doh!
Homer

.257 Ackley, here is an image of my main Skippy/Varmint rifles.
From L to R;
Tikka LSA 55 in .222Rem, Weaver T10 fixed 10x scope,
Rem 700 in .223Rem, Swarovski fixed 10x scope,
and
Hopper Stopper/Rem 700 trued, sleeved etc with it's .22-250 AI 40* barrel screwed in and a Leupold Vari-XIII 6.5 to 20x BR scope.

Doh!
Homer

Attachments

• Various Hopper Stoppers! .222, .223 & .22-250AI (2).JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 5,210
Ooops, right rifles, wrong image!

Double Doh!!
Homer

Attachments

• Various Hopper Stoppers! .222, .223 & .22-250AI.JPG
    178.9 KB · Views: 1,521
Homer -
I really like that Tikka! What bullet/powder combination do you use with it? Does it have a 14 twist like most of the .222 rifles? Just picked up a Sako Vixen in .222 this past fall at a Cabelas in their gun library for a decent price, and threw a 2.5-8X36 Vari X 3 on it that was sitting on my 257 AI. Worked up a decent load with a 50 grain BT and 4198. I haven't had a chance to test it on any varmints yet though.

What is the bi-pod system you have on the .223? Does it work better being more center-mass on the stock than a bi-pod attached out on the forearm?

G'Day .257 Ackley,

Yeah, I like that Tikka too!
I usually use the Tikka when I shooting on a local Beef Cattle Stud where a bullet in the wrong place, would cost me $5,000.00 to $10,000.00!!!
The main load I use in the Tikka, is a 40grn Sierra HP (Stock# 1385), ADI AR-2207 (H4198) in Lapua cases and CCI 4BR primers.
I have adjusted the trigger to 12 ounces and it's 1 in 14" twist barrel, shoots sub 1/2" groups all day long.
I'm sure the rifle can shoot better, than I can shoot it!

.257, for a lot of the spot light shooting I do and in the rolling hilly country around here, it helps to be able to swivel from one "Customer" to the next with a minimum of movement. Well, it works for me!
So when I was building this rifle, I reinforced the stock and then inserted a sling swivel stud, just forward of the front action screw. I usually use the Vera-Pod bi-pod these days as it swivels around which is handy for keeping the cross hairs level, on the side of hills. This .223Rem is just a Rem 700 SPS stainless that I have threaded the muzzle of, recrowned, lapped the bolt locking lugs, bedded in a High-Tech Specialties stock and inletted and fitted a www.lumleyarms.com detachable box magazine system to. This takes Accuracy International 10 shot mags, which is handy to have when you get onto a mob of Skippy's!!!

Doh!
Homer

Back