6.5x55 Swede revisited

m1aggie01

Beginner
Sep 9, 2007
Howdy Nosler,

I am really in the market for a CZ-USA 550 in this caliber and would love to shoot Nosler ammo out of this rifle. At this time I do not have any reloading equipment and probably wont for some time. I have read material from Layne Simpson, who thinks highly of your bullets, and he has stated that your Partition bullet is one of his most favorite for whitetail deer in this caliber. I noticed that you do not offer it in your custom loaded ammo!!! If you do not offer it, can you tell me of any production line of ammo by another company that uses your Partition bullet to load this caliber. I want the BEST for my upcoming rifle purchase and if I can't get it loaded by Nosler, I want the Partition bullet loaded by some other manufacturer!!!

TIA

The 6.5x55 Sweed is a great cartridge for sure. I'm only aware of a couple of factory offerings, Remington 140 gr SPCL and Norma 120 gr BT.
The PT is indeed a great bullet but more than you really need for deer hunting. The 120 gr BT will kill deer like lighting!
The new 130 gr AB is a perfect weight for the Sweed, giving you a 400 yd deer rifle, provided you have the accuracy and skill.

Your best option is to get into reloading. Get youself a reloading starter kit for around $250 and you will be set. Dies, shell holder, and components will run you another $100.
You can build loads for your rifle and hunting situation and get all the help and support from your buddies here. :grin:
JD338

Thanks for the reply...I am assuming that Nosler will probably never offer the 6.5x55 in its custom line?

:grin: Never say never... Nosler's line of custom ammo has grown tremendously over the past couple of years. All it takes is a demand... That good old 6.5x55 seems to be more and more popular all the time too...

Good Luck! Guy

Guy Miner":2r81b5c3 said:
:grin: Never say never... Nosler's line of custom ammo has grown tremendously over the past couple of years. All it takes is a demand... That good old 6.5x55 seems to be more and more popular all the time too...

Good Luck! Guy

+1 to what Guy said.

JD338

JD 338 ... I too have beautifull CZ 550 in 6.5X55 and there is a lot more loaded ammo out there. I just bought 2 boxes from Midway, one Norma and the other is RWS.

The Norma load uses 140gr Nosler Partitions at 2700 fps. The RWS uses a proprietory 140gr "Twin Core" HiShock at 2800 fps. Kind of sucks really when you consider I live 15 miles from the Nosler plant and I had to get Nosler Partition loaded ammunition all the way from Sweden ... figure out the logistics on that one!

I've tried the Federal 140gr load ... but it is only clocking 2550 ... which is basically the same underloaded crap put out by Winchester and Remington.

If Nosler loaded the 6.5x55 with the 125gr Partition at 2900 fps (stepping on 270 Win. heels here and lists in Nolser RG #5) or the 140gr Partition at 2700 fps ... these could be real winners.

Grove":3hwa0vac said:
JD 338 ... I too have beautifull CZ 550 in 6.5X55 and there is a lot more loaded ammo out there. I just bought 2 boxes from Midway, one Norma and the other is RWS.

The Norma load uses 140gr Nosler Partitions at 2700 fps. The RWS uses a proprietory 140gr "Twin Core" HiShock at 2800 fps. Kind of sucks really when you consider I live 15 miles from the Nosler plant and I had to get Nosler Partition loaded ammunition all the way from Sweden ... figure out the logistics on that one!

I've tried the Federal 140gr load ... but it is only clocking 2550 ... which is basically the same underloaded crap put out by Winchester and Remington.

If Nosler loaded the 6.5x55 with the 125gr Partition at 2900 fps (stepping on 270 Win. heels here and lists in Nolser RG #5) or the 140gr Partition at 2700 fps ... these could be real winners.

I would buy that ammo in a heart beat. I want to start reloading and my purchases will be reloading equipment AND a CZ 550 at the same time. Tell me more about your CZ...does it shoot well and accurate??

TIA

m1aggie01 ... I really like my CZ 550 in 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. It is the standard rifle with 24" barrel. I haven't had a great deal of time to wring this beauty out ... and have only fired a box of Federal 140gr through it. As to this rifle's accuracy ... still a little unknown. The day I took it to the range there was a pretty stiff wind blowing, but ... it's a new rifle with a new scope. Hopefully, I'll get a calmer day and test this hotter new ammo from Norma and RWS.

CZ puts a 1 in 8.6" twist rifling in this barrel, I personally would have prefered 1 in 8.0". It has a an interesting trigger arrangement ... I like it, but some people don't. If you push the trigger forwad, you get a set trigger that is only a few ounces. This has worked very well for range testing and load development. In my other CZ 550, a Safari Magnum in 375 H&H, which will shoot 3/4" groups, with many of the shots clover leafing -- I know this has helped in getting the consistant shot placement.

With the 8.6 rifling I expect it will shoot the 125gr Partitions very well. I'm not too sure how it will perform with the 130gr AccuBond, which is a much longer bullet. I have all the loading equipment, just lack the dies for the 6.5x55, but Christmas is coming :) .

Back