6.8 Western

For me quality brass is important in cartridge selection, but then again, I am an accuracy Nerd 😇
Haha I think we all are, some of us just more than others.

With both 6.5 and 277 cal cartridges I'm not likely to get a 7 mm although I reserve the right to do so if the right one comes along 😉

Trying to get comparable bullets across 4 calibers can be difficult. FMJ's are out, sst's are a no-go, target bullets in the same brand is as close as 1 could get? 28cal is 1 I didn't have nor care for, but now I have 2 (7-08, 7saum). All I need now is to get a 277fury or 270-08 to have 4 as equal cases as possible for testing. 260rem is as close to the 7-08 and 308win as I have at this time. The smaller caliber might not be as fast, but the higher bc will overcome the drop with less velocity. I wouldn't mind getting a 6.8western/270wsm if being able to obtain brass. Primers, powder, bullets, dies and getting it chambered is the easy part (primers is somewhat difficult) and it's what drives my decisions on cartridges in something I don't have. There will always being someone bashing a cartridge whether it be new or older. In '61 my dad bought a mod70 264wm, didn't like the recoil, so he bought a 270win. I'm glad he didn't like it, because it's my favorite since '78 (13yo).
Before the 260 officially came out Redding came out with their 270 Redding Wildcat. It has a 30 degree shoulder and to me was the best of the Wildcats on the 308 case. I thought about it but when the 260 came out I went with it and love it too. 270-308 would be easier and be a great performer too.

I had a 264 WM and still think it stacks up well to a lot of the newer magnum 6.5's out there. Firing it and my 270 I had side by side they didn't feel much different, maybe the stock fit wasn't good for your dad. Sounds like you did great in snagging that gun though!

Once my center-grip 25-284 clone XP-100 (Borden Alpine Action) is done in about a month, a 7mm SAUM XP build (Also a Borden clone XP action) is up next.

I knew I had new Remington brass for the 7 SAUM (I was going to do all the prep work), but then I discovered I had 200 pieces of New 7mm SAUM NORMA brass :love:
I will be moving my Remington 7mm SAUM brass whenever someone wants it.

Once my center-grip 25-284 clone XP-100 (Borden Alpine Action) is done in about a month, a 7mm SAUM XP build (Also a Borden clone XP action) is up next.

I knew I had new Remington brass for the 7 SAUM (I was going to do all the prep work), but then I discovered I had 200 pieces of New 7mm SAUM NORMA brass :love:
I will be moving my Remington 7mm SAUM brass whenever someone wants it.
Tell me you're a gun nut without telling me you're a gun but 😜

I'm sure someone will gladly take those R-P cases from you. Norma makes nice brass though.

Tell me you're a gun nut without telling me you're a gun but 😜

I'm sure someone will gladly take those R-P cases from you. Norma makes nice brass though.
I owned a 7mm SAUM before, and used Remington brass on the first one. I think I have 3 bags of 50 left now.
It was my son's favorite XP, when he was in junior high and high school.
I think it was around 674 yards: 1 & Done
Fx72Mayl.jpg

I think he was 17 at the time, shooting at 550 yards at a 10"x16" piece of steel.
His spotter is learning how to call correction-At Holland's Shooting school

Need to have another 7mm SAUM 😇

Before the 260 officia came out with their 270 Redding Wildcat. It has a 30 degree shoulder and to me was the best of the Wildcats on the 308 case. I thought about it but when the 260 came out I went with it and love it too. 270-308 would be easier and be a great performer too.

I had a 264 WM and still think it stacks up well to a lot of the newer magnum 6.5's out there. Firing it and my 270 I had side by side they didn't feel much different, maybe the stock fit wasn't good for your dad. Sounds like you did great in snagging that gun though!
The 264wm was essentially new (less than 2 boxes of ammo shot thru) before I started shooting it. The 270win is a Rem, but unsure if it's a 700 or another 7?? model? He bought it in early to late 60s as best I can guess? He had another Rem 270win (unsure of which model) that he couldn't get the bolt to close. After inspection it had factory rope packing from the barrel that was keeping it from closing.

The 264wm was essentially new (less than 2 boxes of ammo shot thru) before I started shooting it. The 270win is a Rem, but unsure if it's a 700 or another 7?? model? He bought it in early to late 60s as best I can guess? He had another Rem 270win (unsure of which model) that he couldn't get the bolt to close. After inspection it had factory rope packing from the barrel that was keeping it from closing.
A like new pre 64 M 70 264 WM is one of the great classic guns. I like Remington a lot but you came out on top with this one. Getting back to the 6.8 Western there are some nice options in the M 70 for it.

I owned a 7mm SAUM before, and used Remington brass on the first one. I think I have 3 bags of 50 left now.
It was my son's favorite XP, when he was in junior high and high school.
I think it was around 674 yards: 1 & Done
Fx72Mayl.jpg

I think he was 17 at the time, shooting at 550 yards at a 10"x16" piece of steel.
His spotter is learning how to call correction-At Holland's Shooting school

Need to have another 7mm SAUM 😇
He hit that plate every time in the rain with some wind, very impressive. All the practice paid off well with the antelope.

He hit that plate every time in the rain with some wind, very impressive. All the practice paid off well with the antelope.
Thank You.
In all fairness, this wasn’t new to him.
He had been shooting at distance with specialty pistols since he was nine years old.
You can tell he’s neither nervous or excited in the video.
It did give me the opportunity to observe and clean up a few things though.

Back