6.8 Western

It don’t matter. Buy enough brass to last a few barrels.

easy peasy. I kinda like the 325 WSM and it’s not exactly tearing down record sales but I can still use it enough to hunt with it.
The 325 WSM deserved better.
BTW anyone in Canada needing some 200 gr AB factory ammo our local Canadian Tire has a bunch for a decent price. Please save me from buying it and then "having" to build a gun!

Not sure why the unnatural hate for 270 cal rounds by some people, it's like someone insulted their wife or something. Just wait till the 25 Creedmoor or 257 Western or something like that officially comes out, then we will see some guys really blow a gasket! Have to say a 25 Creed would be pretty sweet....... ;)
I own several 270 Winchesters, and once had a 270 WSM.
No hate for the 270 Win, that's for sure. One of mine goes out in the field every year. I disliked the rifle the 270 WSM was in, so sent that one along.

You sound like a magazine article.

First of all you're comparing an apple and an orange.

Maybe an apple and a peach.

#1 While the 7PRC isn't the longest cartridge in the world but it is NOT a short action cartridge.

#2 it's a 7mm...not a 270
Is it ok if someone would rather use a .277 diameter bullet?

#3 7PRC should sell more just simply based on Hornady being behind it. The very company doing the best job of putting product on the shelf in these "too high of demand bullshit excuses" times

#4 why does it have to kill it? The very statement made by some author of some rag I've come across...

#5 and probably most importantly we can all play in the same sand box, no?
Last I checked we can.
I love the 300WSM through and through and can cite you a dozen reasons it's the greatest cartridge ever designed but I don't thumb my nose at someone wanting something else like a traditional 300 mag, or 308 or 7 rem mag or 270 Winchester....or....
a 6.8 Western or a 7PRC

Choices are great and if it keeps interest high in our industry that's great!!

#1 - The 6.8 Western also needs a longer-than-traditional magazine to fit the longer COAL, so adjustments in a rifle need to be made.

#2 - see response at the top

#3 - The RCM cartridges surely didn't sell despite Hornady being the only company that made ammo for them, so that argument doesn't completely hold water. You bought the 300 WSM and not the 300 RCM for a reason too, correct? The WSM cartridges were marketed 20 years ago in a much better manner than the RCM. The pandemic didn't help the 6.8W, but Winchester should have looked backward in its playbook to the early 2000s when it brought out the WSMs.

#4 - It doesn't have to kill it. However, lack of demand will likely make it a niche cartridge. If that's OK with you(r uncle), that's all that matters.

#5 - You are welcome to love the 6.8 Western as much as you want!
I shoot a lot of Weatherby cartridges and the 270 Win, and there are far more Weatherby haters than 6.8 W haters that I have to listen to. ;)
The 7mm PRC is a much better cartridge on paper than the 7mm Weatherby, but I don't plan to change.
I do plan on selling my 300 WSM rifles, though, as I'm sticking with the 300 Weatherby - which I know isn't your favorite.

My point with the initial post was to suggest that there may be other options to the 6.8 Western if your uncle wants a new rifle.
However, if he's set on the 6.8 then get one.

Last edited:
Not sure why the unnatural hate for 270 cal rounds by some people,
Are you pointing that at me? lol

I talk a lot of junk about the .270 Win, but somehow I had four of them at one time. Love JOC, never like the .270. Perfect donor rifle.

I do kinda like the WSM, in fact I have an M70 in .270 that I had plans to try to make into a long range steel/paper gun. It, like a stack of other rifles, got put on the back burner during a period of unemployment and then a series of moves that left me unsure of just which box my spare scopes/rings/tools are in.

Not you BK or Dr Vette, the beginning of this thread didn't start out to well however and I've seen it elsewhere. For the record I like pretty much any round except the 6.5 Creedmoor since I'm normal and also don't have enough hair for a man bun ;) Really like most of the Weatherby rounds from 340 on down. I do think the 7 PRC is a well thought out round and can see why people are excited about it. I really like the next rung down with the 6.8 W, also very well thought out with a lot of performance in a smaller package.

7prc is OK, but it's not a game changer imo. Doesn't fit a short action and doesn't do anything in a long action that I'm not already doing with a 7mm rem mag. The 6.8 western is a good concept and so is the 6.5 prc. I'd actually like to see something like a 7mm western, yes....7mm wsm, but it's all but dead and why? 257 western and 6mm western would be cool as well. Same could be said for a 257 prc, 6mm prc. Personally feel Hornady missed the mark with the 7prc...a solution without a problem?

WSM, without counting, I'd say I have several 100 once fired 6mm brass. If you're desperate for 6mm brass I could probably let some go. I do know I have it sorted and if I was going to let any go it would be the Winchester and Federal brass. I'd like to keep the Remington brass as that is what I've always used.

Not you BK or Dr Vette, the beginning of this thread didn't start out to well however and I've seen it elsewhere. For the record I like pretty much any round except the 6.5 Creedmoor since I'm normal and also don't have enough hair for a man bun ;)Really like most of the Weatherby rounds from 340 on down. I do think the 7 PRC is a well thought out round and can see why people are excited about it. I really like the next rung down with the 6.8 W, also very well thought out with a lot of performance in a smaller package.

:ROFLMAO: Not sure it makes me normal, but I follow your line of thinking.

7prc is OK, but it's not a game changer imo. Doesn't fit a short action and doesn't do anything in a long action that I'm not already doing with a 7mm rem mag. The 6.8 western is a good concept and so is the 6.5 prc. I'd actually like to see something like a 7mm western, yes....7mm wsm, but it's all but dead and why? 257 western and 6mm western would be cool as well. Same could be said for a 257 prc, 6mm prc. Personally feel Hornady missed the mark with the 7prc...a solution without a problem?
It would be better if neglected bore sizes got some love finally. Good to see the 277 cal now including the 6.8 W, 27 Nosler and 277 Sig Fury. With the latter it sounds like not a lot of actions will handle 80,000 psi like the Sig Cross so don't know how popular it be. Would have loved to see the 270 Redding become a factory round.

With the 277 you started to see new sleek heavyweight bullets a few years back with no factory fast twist guns it started to build and they started to come out with them. The same is happening now with the 25 cal. A 25 Creedmoor or 257 Western (nice ring to that) or something like those two would be interesting. With Weatherby having so much success with their 257 Wby I bet they come out with a fast twist 257 RPM one day.

It's neat to see the 360 Buckhammer out now and would love to see a short action magnum 35 cal come out 358 Western (nice ring to that one too) anyone?

Last edited:
My point with the initial post was to suggest that there may be other options to the 6.8 Western if your uncle wants a new rifle.
However, if he's set on the 6.8 then get one
If that's what you meant below....ok.
Sure seemed like you were taking a sledgehammer to anyone's idea of wanting a 6.8 Western. ( I didn't start this thread merely participated a couple times)in other words someone else/others were/are interested in the 6.8 Western
Given the option now, I'd do a 7mm PRC before a 6.8 Western. In fact, the 7mm PRC will kill the 6.8 Western.

You will see FAR more companies making ammo and rifles in this chambering. This is already true, and the 6.8 has been out a couple of years while the 7mm PRC for only a couple of months! Other than Browning and Winchester who developed it, the 6.8 hasn't gotten any traction with any other rifle companies.
Again...no matter the cartridge one could always say XYZ is better. Good thing the mfg's haven't followed that premise otherwise we'd only have about 8 total choices .458 and below.

Good, we got all that out of the way now hopefully.

For barrel length what would you do? I've been going back and forth between 22 and 24" leaning to 22" at the moment since I'll be doing a lot of timber hunting. I'm willing to give up a bit of speed since bullets will stay above 1800 fps a lot farther than I'm going to shoot on game anyway. For those of you that can use suppressors (not legal here) I wonder how 20" would be? Christensen is offering their 6.8's with a 20" barrel.

For barrel length what would you do? I've been going back and forth between 22 and 24" leaning to 22" at the moment since I'll be doing a lot of timber hunting. I'm willing to give up a bit of speed since bullets will stay above 1800 fps a lot farther than I'm going to shoot on game anyway. For those of you that can use suppressors (not legal here) I wonder how 20" would be? Christensen is offering their 6.8's with a 20" barrel.
Don't be afraid of a 20" barrel.
You will still have enough impact velocity to do a good job at killing at typical hunting distances. Figure around 35 fps per inch

Reckon the 7mmPRC will crush the life out of it. I suspect it will be chambered in a lot more rifles than the 6.8. Actually surprised me that the US military went 6.8…but I am a little slow on the uptake sometimes ;-)

24" and why..

I've never noticed a big difference between 20" up to 24"

It's when the bbl length hits 26" do I feel the elongated pain in the ass.

I've hunted with them all...
Remimgton Mohawks, model 7's,
to 26" Weatherby’s and even a 26" plus a brake and many in between...

I'm in PA and it can get very forestry here in areas.

When I've found the foliage too thick for a 24" it was also a pain in the ass for a 20" as well.
Thus I take a pistol if I'm hunting that stuff.

Would you possiby have any regret if ______.
Going with one or the other ?

24" and why..

I've never noticed a big difference between 20" up to 24"

It's when the bbl length hits 26" do I feel the elongated pain in the ass.

I've hunted with them all...
Remimgton Mohawks, model 7's,
to 26" Weatherby’s and even a 26" plus a brake and many in between...

I'm in PA and it can get very forestry here in areas.

When I've found the foliage too thick for a 24" it was also a pain in the ass for a 20" as well.
Thus I take a pistol if I'm hunting that stuff.

Would you possiby have any regret if ______.
Going with one or the other ?
That's strange to me. I notice a huge handling difference between a 20" and a 26"....

I didn't chamber 1 in 6.8w due to not having the ability to get the heavier than 150 in what I'd like/want. When I can get Berger 170's or Nosler 165's then I'll chamber it. So far the 270win with 150's in 10 twist work for now.

So, in what world is a 7mm fast twist better than a 30cal fast twist
1000 yard F-Open.
For hunting, you can have less recoil, less drop, and less wind deflection with a fast twist 7mm compared to a equal capacity fast twist 30 cal.
This is only realized when stretching things out.
Both the 30 cal and the 7 kill just fine.

1000 yard F-Open.
For hunting, you can have less recoil, less drop, and less wind deflection with a fast twist 7mm compared to a equal capacity fast twist 30 cal.
This is only realized when stretching things out.
Both the 30 cal and the 7 kill just fine.
Then a 165gr 27cal will have a higher bc than a 7mil with the same weight, so it's a win for the 27.

Biggest Berger 27: is a 170 grain G7 BC: 0.339 G1 BC: 0.662
Big Berger 7mm's : 175 grain G7 BC: 0.336 G1 BC: 0.656, 180 grain Hybrid G7 BC: 0.349 G1 BC: 0.68, 184 G7 BC: 0.356 G1 BC: 0.695, 190 grain
G7 BC: 0.384 G1 BC: 0.751, 195 grain G7 BC: 0.387 G1 BC: 0.755

For the same bullet weight, in the 27 cal and the 7mm, the 7mm in theory will shoot faster, since it has a larger bore.
27's kill fine too.

The same can be said for the the thirty cal, given the same case capacity.
30 cal 175 grain Berger G7 BC: 0.265 G1 BC: 0.518

Back