6.8 Western

They all work and it's just splitting hairs between 270, 7mm and 308. Hit fairly in the lungs there will be zero difference in killing power between the Berger examples shown here. I prefer the 277 bore and others 7mm or 30 cal, just pick the one you like and go hunting.

24" and why..

I've never noticed a big difference between 20" up to 24"

It's when the bbl length hits 26" do I feel the elongated pain in the ass.

I've hunted with them all...
Remimgton Mohawks, model 7's,
to 26" Weatherby’s and even a 26" plus a brake and many in between...

I'm in PA and it can get very forestry here in areas.

When I've found the foliage too thick for a 24" it was also a pain in the ass for a 20" as well.
Thus I take a pistol if I'm hunting that stuff.

Would you possiby have any regret if ______.
Going with one or the other ?
Thanks for sharing what your thoughts, much appreciated. I definitely know I would not like anything longer than 24", going up the mountain with my 24" Whelen strapped to my pack can be annoying going through the thick stuff. One day I'll probably bob the barrel.

Your question at the end about would I regret a 22 over a 24"? No I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of speed for something shorter that fits on my pack a bit better.

Thanks for sharing what your thoughts, much appreciated. I definitely know I would not like anything longer than 24", going up the mountain with my 24" Whelen strapped to my pack can be annoying going through the thick stuff. One day I'll probably bob the barrel.

Your question at the end about would I regret a 22 over a 24"? No I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of speed for something shorter that fits on my pack a bit better.
I thought I had something on the end of my post at the very end but something happened.

I meant to add this....

One thought is if you get a 24" and you find yourself wishing for less that can be remedied.
If you start with a 22" you can't go up with it sans a complete re- barrel.

Hell we cant defy father time you might find yourself wishing for 20" at some point and now you have to get to get it cut anyways.
If I missed it apologies...

what rifle are you aiming for

I thought I had something on the end of my post at the very end but something happened.

I meant to add this....

One thought is if you get a 24" and you find yourself wishing for less that can be remedied.
If you start with a 22" you can't go up with it sans a complete re- barrel.

Hell we cant defy father time you might find yourself wishing for 20" at some point and now you have to get to get it cut anyways.
If I missed it apologies...

what rifle are you aiming for
yeah, it's a lot easier cutting 2" off than adding a couple...

Well, it ain't going to beat as much of the stuffing out of you during long strings of fire, that's for sure

So, in what world is a 7mm fast twist better than a 30cal fast twist
I guess I don't mind the either, but with great bullets I have never seen 30's do any better on stuff up to elk than similar 7's. You have to really pump up a 30 to get the same BC/Speed as you can do with a 7mm.

A new cartridge will always have a following of sorts but for it to really catch multiple firearms manufactures need to chamber it. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a good example. I personally like the 260 Remington better but it never got the same chambering. I'm thinking a 260 Ackley Improved for my next build.

That's why my .338RUM sits in the Gun Cabinet a lot more. I do remember in the past firing a few sighting shots prior to Elk Season. It was six shots if I remember correctly. After that I had to start nursing a headache.
That's a major reason I let my 375 Ruger go. It was well made and very accurate but the stock fit wasn't right. Figured recoil headaches probably weren't a good thing. My 35 Whelen is my "heavy" gun now, a 6.8 Western with those long for caliber bullets at decent speeds will kill a moose a lot farther than I'm going to realistically shoot.

Unlike many of you who postulate about the pro's and con's of a new cartridge I put my money where my mouth is. I've been shooting for some 68 years now and ever since my Dad handed me a shiny new Daisy Red Ryder at the age of 8, the ability to put bullets into the same hole at varying distances as well as the bullet's effect on the intended game has fascinated me. While new is interesting, the old standbys will always be around, as will factory ammunition to shoot in them. Speaking of which during the last government health fiasco while I heard most lamenting the inability to find ammo or components for their exotic custom rifles those of us who owned 270, 308 and 30-06 were able to find factory ammo while those shooting, at the time the newest sensation the 6.5 Creedmoor were looking at bare shelves. Anyway let's get back to the purpose to this memo, why the 6.8 Western. Unlike many of you who are voting on the success or demise of the 6.8 Western without putting a single round down range my curiosity led me to go out and buy a new Winchester XPR chambered in nothing else but the 6.8 Western to put through it's paces. I got the heavy barrel varmint version. Finding ammo, since only Winchester and Browning make it, and cases are not yet available was a bit of a project since most of the usual ammo outlets were not carrying 6.8 Western ammo, and the few that were had highly inflated price tags on it, going as high as $90.00 a box. Then, lo and behold I was at one of my small local gun shops and spotted several boxes of Winchester brand 6.8 Western 162 grain sitting on the shelf for the bargain basement price of $62.00. I bought 3 boxes, all that my pocketbook at the time could afford, which not only got me factory ammo but 60 cases that I could reload. I mounted a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6 x 24 x 50 on top of a Talley 20 MOA rail with Vortex rings, boresighted it and headed to the local range. The first 3 shots out of the barrel at 50 yards were all touching and almost, but not quite one hole, measuring 0.312. Scope adjusted to center the next group, which was not a lot larger than the last then moved to 100 yards. The first group at 100 yards was 2 inches high and 1/2 inch left, all three rounds touching. Adjusted the windage and the next 3 shots were centered, 2 inches high and again all three touching. My local ranges only go out to 200 yards where the rifle shot a 0.325 moa group. I went out to a friends farm, one that I hunt at and set up targets at 300 yards, which is the longest distance availble with a good backstop and the group now opened up to 0.735. I also have a Tikka T3x in 270 Winchester and while it shoots sub MOA, but not as well as the 6.8 Western does. I somewhat attribute this to the heavier bullets as well as a G1 BC of 0564. I have begun to try to test the accuracy and performance with hand loads. Currently using Nosler 165 gr ABLR and IMR 4350 and H4350 powders. Despite the nay sayers and those who decry yet another 277 caliber cartridge instead of a 6.5 or 7mm, my thoughts are that once the performance of the 6.8 Western gets out, it will be around to stay and become more and more popular. Too bad Nosler, Federal and the others are not making ammunition yet. Right now as far as I can see, Winchester reign King.

Unlike many of you who postulate about the pro's and con's of a new cartridge I put my money where my mouth is. I've been shooting for some 68 years now and ever since my Dad handed me a shiny new Daisy Red Ryder at the age of 8, the ability to put bullets into the same hole at varying distances as well as the bullet's effect on the intended game has fascinated me. While new is interesting, the old standbys will always be around, as will factory ammunition to shoot in them. Speaking of which during the last government health fiasco while I heard most lamenting the inability to find ammo or components for their exotic custom rifles those of us who owned 270, 308 and 30-06 were able to find factory ammo while those shooting, at the time the newest sensation the 6.5 Creedmoor were looking at bare shelves. Anyway let's get back to the purpose to this memo, why the 6.8 Western. Unlike many of you who are voting on the success or demise of the 6.8 Western without putting a single round down range my curiosity led me to go out and buy a new Winchester XPR chambered in nothing else but the 6.8 Western to put through it's paces. I got the heavy barrel varmint version. Finding ammo, since only Winchester and Browning make it, and cases are not yet available was a bit of a project since most of the usual ammo outlets were not carrying 6.8 Western ammo, and the few that were had highly inflated price tags on it, going as high as $90.00 a box. Then, lo and behold I was at one of my small local gun shops and spotted several boxes of Winchester brand 6.8 Western 162 grain sitting on the shelf for the bargain basement price of $62.00. I bought 3 boxes, all that my pocketbook at the time could afford, which not only got me factory ammo but 60 cases that I could reload. I mounted a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 6 x 24 x 50 on top of a Talley 20 MOA rail with Vortex rings, boresighted it and headed to the local range. The first 3 shots out of the barrel at 50 yards were all touching and almost, but not quite one hole, measuring 0.312. Scope adjusted to center the next group, which was not a lot larger than the last then moved to 100 yards. The first group at 100 yards was 2 inches high and 1/2 inch left, all three rounds touching. Adjusted the windage and the next 3 shots were centered, 2 inches high and again all three touching. My local ranges only go out to 200 yards where the rifle shot a 0.325 moa group. I went out to a friends farm, one that I hunt at and set up targets at 300 yards, which is the longest distance availble with a good backstop and the group now opened up to 0.735. I also have a Tikka T3x in 270 Winchester and while it shoots sub MOA, but not as well as the 6.8 Western does. I somewhat attribute this to the heavier bullets as well as a G1 BC of 0564. I have begun to try to test the accuracy and performance with hand loads. Currently using Nosler 165 gr ABLR and IMR 4350 and H4350 powders. Despite the nay sayers and those who decry yet another 277 caliber cartridge instead of a 6.5 or 7mm, my thoughts are that once the performance of the 6.8 Western gets out, it will be around to stay and become more and more popular. Too bad Nosler, Federal and the others are not making ammunition yet. Right now as far as I can see, Winchester reign King.
Good to see you posting.

I for one, am not crying about anything concerning a 27 caliber cartridge.

My posts on this thread:
"Don't be afraid of a 20" barrel.
You will still have enough impact velocity to do a good job at killing at typical hunting distances. Figure around 35 fps per inch."
AND...
"Biggest Berger 27: is a 170 grain G7 BC: 0.339 G1 BC: 0.662

Big Berger 7mm's : 175 grain G7 BC: 0.336 G1 BC: 0.656, 180 grain Hybrid G7 BC: 0.349 G1 BC: 0.68, 184 G7 BC: 0.356 G1 BC: 0.695, 190 grain
G7 BC: 0.384 G1 BC: 0.751, 195 grain G7 BC: 0.387 G1 BC: 0.75
For the same bullet weight, in the 27 cal and the 7mm, the 7mm in theory will shoot faster, since it has a larger bore.

27's kill fine too."

I have shot a church member's 6.8, and helped him get it chronoed, with drops confirmed out to 1000 yards.
He doesn't reload, but I don't remember what ammo he was using, but it shot tight at least to 500 or 600 yards on 10" steel. Didn't document, but I know for sure it shot sub MOA at 500 yards.
It was shooting good enough and fast enough for his real world max hunting distance. Pretty sure he took and bull elk and mule deer with is last year. The whole family hunts, so I didn't ask him in particular.

Do I have 27 cal? Nope.
Am I opposed to them? Nope
Do I want one? Nope. I don't want a 8mm or 35 caliber either...
I have enough crossovers on either side of it, so it just isn't something I want caliber wise.
Do I care about what others use or not use and get upset about it? Nope. As long as it is legal, and kills well.

I remember starting this thread and being disappointed at some of the response. Someone with a bad attitude sure can make it go sideways.

Now that I have had my gun for a while I'm happy with it and what the round is capable of. Many people that own one say that they are getting the performance Winchester is claiming from a 24" barrel, sometimes even more. The guys with the 26" guns are getting a lot of speed from the factory ammo making it even more impressive. Lots on YouTube right now on how well the 6.8 Western is performing. Yes the 277 bore is alive and doing well.

Now that ADG is making the brass that can only help. It will be early next year when they are able to go full production on that.

Trying to get comparable bullets across 4 calibers can be difficult. FMJ's are out, sst's are a no-go, target bullets in the same brand is as close as 1 could get? 28cal is 1 I didn't have nor care for, but now I have 2 (7-08, 7saum). All I need now is to get a 277fury or 270-08 to have 4 as equal cases as possible for testing. 260rem is as close to the 7-08 and 308win as I have at this time. The smaller caliber might not be as fast, but the higher bc will overcome the drop with less velocity. I wouldn't mind getting a 6.8western/270wsm if being able to obtain brass. Primers, powder, bullets, dies and getting it chambered is the easy part (primers is somewhat difficult) and it's what drives my decisions on cartridges in something I don't have. There will always being someone bashing a cartridge whether it be new or older. In '61 my dad bought a mod70 264wm, didn't like the recoil, so he bought a 270win. I'm glad he didn't like it, because it's my favorite since '78 (13yo).

Back